WH2-120-C ballast questions.

JamesD

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. first post! woo!

I came across this forum scouring the internet for info on the Fulham workhorse 2 ballasts. I had an opportunity to grab a large quantity of ceiling lights from work. we are replacing them so i figured why let them get trashed. The lights have two 4 pin sockets connected to the WH2-120-C. The maintenance crew for the building have been replacing the bulbs with just about any 4pin they could find. ive got 13w,26w,and a few other wattage bulbs. the ballast says to use a max of 35w so they definitely disregarded that. I want to repurpuse the ballasts and sockets and build a grow light for my indoor garden starter this year. usually just a few peppers and tomatoes. Im having some confusion on how to wire and what bulbs to use. I would like to use the max wattage i can within the limits of the ballasts. I also would like to look into the possibilities of overdriving the ballasts to get some more light out of the bulbs. i am not really concerned with bulb life or ballast life as long as they are safe and dont overheat. An acquaintance of mine said to just hook both red wires to one socket instead of one red to each socket, and that would be "overdriving" the light with nothing more dangerous than some lost life and a bit of extra heat. im still not sure he is right but We hooked one up and the bulb was quite noticeably brighter. we left it go for about an hour and minus some heat, the bulb and ballast seemed to be doing ok. The issue is this ballast seems to be able to power many different kinds of bulbs and im not sure exactly what my best options would be. Anyone have any advice?