AAA clicky?

ronniepudding

Enlightened
There are a number of options.

I'd recommend the Lumintop Tool. The base model is ~$20, and depending on budget you can splurge for a copper model or the new titanium model with an electronic switch. The latter two are available with a Nichia 219 emitter, which I'd likewise recommend. There's a group buy going on for the titanium model right now.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Lumintop. The high-CRI, titanium, Nichia 219B edition is very tempting.

For single-emitter flashlights, the Nichia 219B is often bypassed because it does not offer the high output levels that you can get from Cree emitters. ZebraLight, for instance, does not use the Nichia 219B in any of its "higher" CRI "c" and "d" models.

In a small 1xAAA flashlight, however, the Nichia makes eminently good sense. Since you won't be getting high output anyway, why not enjoy the benefits of high CRI? I recently bought the BLF-348 and the Astrolux A01, both of which are high-CRI, 1xAAA, Nichia-based flashlights. I also have an Olight i3S-Cu in transit. That's a Cree XP-L model, so it should be fun to compare against the Nichias.

I do not own any of the Lumintop Tool models, but based on everything I have read about them, I am a fan.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Lumintop. The high-CRI, titanium, Nichia 219B edition is very tempting.

For single-emitter flashlights, the Nichia 219B is often bypassed because it does not offer the high output levels that you can get from Cree emitters. ZebraLight, for instance, does not use the Nichia 219B in any of its "higher" CRI "c" and "d" models.

In a small 1xAAA flashlight, however, the Nichia makes eminently good sense. Since you won't be getting high output anyway, why not enjoy the benefits of high CRI? I recently bought the BLF-348 and the Astrolux A01, both of which are high-CRI, 1xAAA, Nichia-based flashlights. I also have an Olight i3S-Cu in transit. That's a Cree XP-L model, so it should be fun to compare against the Nichias.

I do not own any of the Lumintop Tool models, but based on everything I have read about them, I am a fan.

Me too except for the price. The Tool Ti is pretty ridiculously expensive for a AAA light imo. Especially when compared to some of the competition. It is a clicky though and comes with a sweet emitter.

Last edited:

phosphor22

Enlightened
I have a Nichia ReyLight Tool Cu - so the price was a little better than retail since it was a group buy -- and I have to say it is becoming one of my favorite AAA lights -- the copper and the body shape with the waist is particularly fine - as is the clicky aspect, and 3 nicely spaced modes make it all the better, especially since it is sequenced L-M-H. I just keep it in my pocket so I took the clip off - I can always put it back on if I want it. I am about to install 2 tiny green trits in the 'ears' by the switch button so that I can easily find it at night. I think my only wish (and I think the Ti will correct this somewhat) is that the click is noisy at night. Of course, with the copper, you can always use the twist mode and turn it on that way -- silent!
I did order the Ti version in the group buy that is still active and I hope I like it as well as the copper.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too except for the price. The Tool Ti is pretty ridiculously expensive for a AAA light imo. Especially when compared to some of the competition. It is a clicky though and comes with a sweet emitter.
It's titanium, what do you expect? You could just look at the Tool instead of the Tool Ti. It also dissipates hear better. The Tool Ti is for people that prefer a more exotic metal, and that comes at a cost.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Get a Lumapower and toss a surefire Titan A or B head on it. My most used light since i figured out they are compatible.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's titanium, what do you expect? You could just look at the Tool instead of the Tool Ti. It also dissipates hear better. The Tool Ti is for people that prefer a more exotic metal, and that comes at a cost.

The Thunite Ti is $23US. Its not a clicky but, is similar in size, is made of the same grade of Ti, and comes with pretty much the same accessories. It is even brighter and has more modes. Are you telling me that a clicky is worth $50US lol. There pretty much charging US made Surefire prices for a cheaper chinese made light.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been going a little bit Flashlight buying CRAZY as of late. I just moments ago ordered one (perhaps TWO by mistake) LUMINTOP TOOL Clicky lights. I also just received my Olight I3E EO and a Fenix E01. Both VERY nice 1 X AAA lights. This is to say nothing of the KLARUS XT11, FENIX AA and NITECORE 1XCR123 I also purchased over the last two weeks. Somebody STOP ME!
[h=1]SixCats![/h]

GunnarGG

Enlightened
The Fenix LD02 is a nice little light but accidental on happens all the time to me if I don't loosen the head a bit.
So then it's a twisty / clicky light.
My Streamlight Microstream on the other hand has never switched on accidentally.
It has a much stiffer switch.
Single mode though.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thunite Ti is $23US. Its not a clicky but, is similar in size, is made of the same grade of Ti, and comes with pretty much the same accessories. It is even brighter and has more modes. Are you telling me that a clicky is worth $50US lol. There pretty much charging US made Surefire prices for a cheaper chinese made light.
When I was contemplating getting the Tool Ti it was $50. I do believe that the Tool Ti is worth $24 more for the better design and machining alone. I personally hate cheap/basic looking lights like the Thrunite, Tool, Tool Cu, and Maratac unless they have an outstanding UI/driver.

Standard clicky switches add $5-10 in lights like these, and the Tool Ti has an electronic switch (there are pros and cons, but they are more expensive). So roughly an extra $14 for the better design and machining definitely seems worth it to me. It also has a highly desirable high CRI Nichia 219B LED.