TM LAM unit upgrade?

FedgeSniper

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am wanting to use this LED: http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xlamp-xpg2-high-power-led to upgrade the my TM MK23 LAM unit. The current LED for lack of a better term sucks. I found this as well that some one used in theirs: http://imgur.com/a/2WxVa this one has some serious Lumens! I Don't know long 3 AAA Lithium batteries would power that particular LED. So my question is how long would 3 AAA Lithium batteries powered the first LED I listed?

I posted this in another section by accident sorry.

Thanks in advance

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's going to depend on what driver method you're using.... But all told in the end, lithium primaries won't do 3 watts to an LED for long. Most of us convert to lithium ion rechargeable, (18650 for example). Much higher power density and higher output current.

FedgeSniper

Newly Enlightened
I figured as much. I was looking into converting it over to LiPo instead. I actually own a business and my primary seller is LiPo batteries for airsoft guns. Anyways.... I need to find one small enough to fit in a 1 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4" space. I know those dimensions are possible with a LiPo. I just need to figure out what voltage I need to use. I know if I go too high in mah the battery won't fit. I was not planning on using a driver but if is is something that is recommended than I will. I did read the information on this site last night and I am not sure what a driver does. I have always just used a resistor to drop voltage for my LED projects.

Thanks for the response

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in a nutshell, a driver controls the current to an LED, they can as well control the function in modes (strobe, dimming, s.o.s., etc.).
A resistor can work as well. Each method has its +/-.
The new LED will require adequate heatsinking for the currant you want to run it at.
As far as lithium primaries go, you'll have voltage drop, heat and fairly low runtime at 3w on that diode. A Lipo would be better, but then there's charging/discharging circuits to contend with. And that's all up to you.

FedgeSniper

Newly Enlightened
I would be turning on and off the light a decent amount. I doubt that I would use it for more than 10 min when turned on.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I'd recommend staying away from lipos powering your light. Unlike lithium ion cylindrical cells like we use in flashlights, Lipos do not like going below 3.0 volts and having much of a lifetime. Even lithium ions shouldn't really be drained excessively low, but in lipos it's common knowledge to stick with some form of cut off device (whether your speed controller or an external battery monitor) in battery applications. Discharge protection circuits that are built in to lithium ion cells typically have a cut off of 2.5 volts. That low of a level will ruin a lipo pack almost immediately and most hobby chargers wouldn't even recognize the cell when attempting to recharge. You might be savy enough to time your usage and not fall below the cutoff threshold but all it would take is one excessive drainage and your cell could become your nightmare.

FedgeSniper

Newly Enlightened
yes I realize this. I own a business that sells LiPo batteries. I am going to monitor the battery voltage to make sure it does not drop below 3v. Plus at 2.40 a battery I am not to worried.