HID kits seized by Customs...it's a start, I guess

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Article here. The numbers aren't even a drop in the bucket, but I guess it's better than nothing.

lespaul1021

Newly Enlightened
I think places like Amazon and eBay are where most consumers are getting these items. If you look at Amazon hid kits are their own subcategory in automotive lighting with thousands of products listed and thousands of ignorant fools giving rave reviews with their photographic "proof". I don't see how Amazon can in good conscience sell these items(even when they are just brokering the sale for a 3rd party). Also I don't understand why they can't be pressured into halting the sale of these illegal items or in some way found liable for the direct consequences of their illegal use on roads.

I see these constantly when on the roads . It doesn't seem that anything is being done about it.

fastgun

Enlightened
It is hard to track all the enforcement activity that is being done. Most will never make the news. Yet, some good comes from these events. There is no way to know how many people just on this forum alone will stop using items such as these or never be tempted to purchase them.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who don't go to the article;

"seized last Wednesday a shipment of 380 imported high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits. The domestic value of the shipment was approximately $7,227."

That is $19 a kit as the declared value.

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
Also I don't understand why they can't be pressured into halting the sale of these illegal items or in some way found liable for the direct consequences of their illegal use on roads.

Pressured by who? The US Government? I work for .gov myself, "we" can't even do the job we're tasked with doing correctly let alone think outside of the box or rock the boat. Didn't you read about the VA scandal recently, several employees basically being caught for theft and they didn't even get a slap on the wrist! :mad: