Maplin Luxeon Torch

A

alanpinny

I've just bought one today. It's my first LS torch (and only my second LED torch). Just tried it out in my loft.I have to say I'm impressed. I've no idea how bright an LS is supposed to be but it's far, far, far, FAR brighter than my CMG Ultra Infinty, with good compromise between sidespill and throw. Plus, I seem to have won the luxeon lottery as it is pure white! I'm more than happy with this one!

Any idea who makes it? Absolutely no manufacturer details given on the box

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
By some strange coincidence, the one I ordered on the weekend arrived today too. I subscribe to their mailing list so get promotional stuff now and then - the only sort of spam I *do* tolerate. When I saw it marked down in price I couldn`t resist.

I was surprised at the fact that it doesn`t use a collimating lens - nice to see more manufacturers who realise Luxeon LEDs work well with reflectors! It`s a quite deep, mirror-smooth reflector and unfortunately the beam is a bit ringy for a LED, possibly partly to do with the fact that it`s also low-dome in there. The center spot is quite well focussed, smooth and even too - the ringy parts surround it. The colour is a little on the pink side though only a little (it`s a lot better than my green/purple KL1), the brightness is very good for a 1-watter and the overall fit & finish are pretty nice too. It`s a big light, very long (3AAs so it was expected), has a good mass to it so the heatsinking is probably great. Quite an elegent smooth sweeping curvy shape, relying on the inward-curved sides of the body for grip. No idea about the electronics inside yet but given the fact that it`s a 3AA light, it`s probably just resistored. No big deal there though.

I`ve only played with it for a little while, but for the on-sale price of £20 it`s definately a good buy. Even for full-price of £30 it isn`t bad. Not really EDC material (too big) even though it came with a belt-holster too! A nice one to have around the house though. Another good`un from Nuwai!

-

Maplins do ship internationally if any overseas people want to buy one, though I don`t know their shipping charges and wonder if it`s also only a limited avaliability item? It is marked down in a catalog clearence sale.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys, and my credit card company thank you as well ;-0. was considering a reactor for a toolbox light until saw the diassembly.

Darn, used to come here to chew fat about LEDs, thought a good torch was a AAA mag...

Now carry a ARC LS with a Traser ring on it, an Ultra G with a blacklight squeeze lite on it and everyone I know has a white squeeze lite on their keys, great intro to LEDs for a lot of people.

With the US$/£ ratio at the moment things from here,UK, guess £ items are expensive. Think this is an intro thing from Maplin so maybe costant stock for a while. heck of a lot more attractive at £20 than £30 though,

£20 = US$36.27
£30 = US$54.41 at spot price a second ago www.xe.com

50 bucks opens up a bit of choice if shopping US style.
But darn it this is in the shops now :)

Adam