Review of Klarus G30 MT-G2 2450 lumens, 3x18650

Budda

Enlightened
I got the G30 from GearBest for the review.

The light comes in a cardboard box with the specs of the light.

The light is in a plastic box with a spare o-ring, lanyard and instruction.

The light is compact: 47x135mm.

The big MTG2 emitter in the OP reflector, good for close range illumination. The glass has AR treatment and is tempered.

The body of the light, with the space for the 3x18650 batteries. I don't like separate battery carrier: more parts, more weight, bigger size.

IPX8 waterproof with o.rings.
Anodized threads, so if you untwist the tailcap you have physical lockout and avoid parasitic drain.

Switch at the head, covered with hard plastic.

The switch at the head has a colored led under it, it shows the level of the batteries: green 70-100%, orange 30-70%, red <30%, flashing red <10%.

There is a second switch, with a rubber cover at the tailcap. The switch protrudes a bit, and the light can tailstand.
The switch are the same for what I can tell. They have good feedback for my taste (short travel, not too stiff, hearable click).

Beam
A big MT-G2 led in a small and OP reflector give a wide and clean beam. The tint on my sample is between NW and CW. this is more evident at hi output, at low output it looks a lot CW.

Runtime
For the runtime test I used 3 18650 Keeppower 3200mAh.
There's not much to say. The G30 has a very good regulation. I have not tested the runtime at low levels.

I tried, once the stepdowns kick in, to make the G30 return to Turbo. This is a "macro" of what happened.

The temperature sensor kicks in and regulates the output in a very precise way. You can see that after the pick of the "second turbo", the output decreases even more for a while. This is because the light will need time to dissipate the additional heat, and so the light will lower a bit the output until the temperature reaches the precedent plateau level, and so it brings the output hi a bit.

My thoughts
The G30 is the perfect light for who wants to try the MT-G2 on a budget (at the moment is less than 50€).
It is very well regulated (first time I see a PID so precise) and well built.
It has 2 switches (for people who like it at the head and for people who like it at the bottom).
Usually I find more easy to use the switches near the head, but on this light the one at the tailcap is easyer to find: it protrudes and has a more grippy texture.
The battery level indicator is clear and simple, but I'd prefere the indicator to be always on during use.
I prefere to change level in an ascending order (low-medium-high-turbo-low...), so if I need to increase the output a bit, I won't have to pass all the other levels. Maybe one of the 2 switches could pass the level in an ascending order, and the other in a decreasing order.
The dimentions are the same of the ET SX25L3, that many have, but the UI is different: ET is twisty, G30 clicky.
There is no sheath or other accessories, but the price is rather low (less than half) and Klarus didn't save on the quality of the ight.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks to AntoLed for lending me the luxmeter.
More test will follow.

Last edited:

shk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. Great review! first 3x18650 klarus flashlight.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Very similar light to the Eagletac SX25L3 but this has more sensible max output and thermal throttling. The SX25L3 can be a real hand burner on maximum output. Seems like a bargain at half the price of the ET.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I have been wanting the SX25L3 for a long time but have never got one. This light looks like a better option until the SX30L3 is released.

markr6

Flashaholic
I love the MT-G2 LED. I have the Nitecore EC4SW, but that's it so far. I really like the looks of this one. So the UI goes in ascending order? It looks like you press and hold for the lowest mode?

maukka

Enlightened
Thanks for the runtime tests! Just got this light today and will post color data and comparison with the Nitecore EC4SW soon. It's a real bargain at 50 bucks.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the runtime tests! Just got this light today and will post color data and comparison with the Nitecore EC4SW soon. It's a real bargain at 50 bucks.

I look forward to your measurements.

There is a 5000K CCT, 80 CRI (Ra) version of the Cree MT-G2 emitter listed in the Cree datasheet Unfortunately, the one that is used in flashlights is usually the 70-CRI version.

At 12,100 candela, it is interesting that Klarus designed this to be a flooder. I have the Nitecore P36. It has the same MT-G2, but with a deeper reflector. It gets 22,300 candela. I expect that I would like both of them. I certainly like my P36.

Thanks, Budda, for a great review.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Budda for the review!

I just want to be sure I understand this right: at the graph above this light maintain flat regulation at ~94% of max for almost 75min. Is this when the light is cooled(if so how?) and the stepdown without any cooling?

Last edited:

Budda

Enlightened
As stated in the graph: RED = turbo with cooling (ventilator at max speed close to the light), Brown: turbo without any cooling (light laying in the measurement box).

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the MT-G2 LED. I have the Nitecore EC4SW, but that's it so far. I really like the looks of this one. So the UI goes in ascending order? It looks like you press and hold for the lowest mode?
I have this light, its awesome. On the heavier side, but I take that as well built, but do consider if your carrying it around alot.
Press hold side activates lowest mode
Press hold back shtf situation activates max
Click either last mode used
When on click drops down levels. Theres only four so its not fussy.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated in the graph: RED = turbo with cooling (ventilator at max speed close to the light), Brown: turbo without any cooling (light laying in the measurement box).

O yes; my bad. I sought in your text but missed that in the graph. This light is pretty much like Fenix TK35UE and Nitecore EC4SW but powered by 3 cells. The difference is very obvious: while 2 cells can't maintain stable output at 2000lm 3 cells do it excellent at nearly 2450lm.

Last edited:

akhyar

Enlightened
Excellent review @Budda.
I already have a 2-cell NC EC4S but it uses the cooler tint MH50 emitter, so this light with neutral tint G2 emitter and a proper regulation at Turbo mode might be my next pruchase.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find this light attractive so I ordered one from Gearbest. It will serve like a larger and more powerful option of Fenix PD40(Which I really like, pretty compact and perfect in the hand). Fenix TK35UE is not comfortable to use, however, because of slippery body and the tail switch which does not feel comfortable for me. G30 will therefore replace TK35UE.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, got down to where there was only 3 pieces left a Gearbest and I finally caved in and order one. Don't like ordering from China but...price was just to good to pass on...so. I'm guessing it will be here around the end of the month if all goes well. Added the delivery insurance for comfort. Thanks for the tip folks...it sure does look/sound like a real nice light...it will be the brightest one I own!

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

I wish more Klarus lights have the same two-button interface like the RS30.

Still loving the profile and the looks of MT-G2 :twothumbs

moxie15

Newly Enlightened
Well, got down to where there was only 3 pieces left a Gearbest and I finally caved in and order one. Don't like ordering from China but...price was just to good to pass on...so. I'm guessing it will be here around the end of the month if all goes well. Added the delivery insurance for comfort. Thanks for the tip folks...it sure does look/sound like a real nice light...it will be the brightest one I own!

I manage to grab one of the last 3 from Geatbest:). The price is simply too amazing, caved in at the last minute. Still in processing stage, they have yet to send. Can't wait for it to arrive too.