RMSK, Inc.        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: 5,000+ lumen Dropin for Maglite.

Default Re: FS: 5,000+ lumen Dropin for Maglite.

Do you guys think these are suitable for powering the 5000 Lumen 6D Maglite?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BATTERY-NI-...mh+3000+d+cell

They are probably the best known battery brand here in the UK.

Hi Mick,

You could use those, but alkaline are a very expensive way to power a light like this. They also can't drive the bulb to full power because they sag too much under a load. I suggest using NIMH rechargeable cells. I use Tenergy centura.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Everyday Carry Lights Upgrades for Maglite.

Hi Vesture, I'm pretty sure those duracells are NIMH - or am I being mental?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    Hi Mick,

You could use those, but alkaline are a very expensive way to power a light like this. They also can't drive the bulb to full power because they sag too much under a load. I suggest using NIMH rechargeable cells. I use Tenergy centura.

Quote Originally Posted by micklumen View Post
    Hi Vesture, I'm pretty sure those duracells are NIMH - or am I being mental?

thanks
    No, it was me being mental. I apologize. Those D cells could work. Just be aware that they are proby a "dummy" shell with a smaller AA sized cell cased in the center. The capacity of only 3000ma would indicate that is likely the case (typical D nimh cells are 8,000ma capacity). How well they would carry the load is uncertain. Duracell makes a good AA cell. The prechared AA with a white ring on the top that are made in Japan are A++ grade. They also package a cell that is not great in the same wrapper, black ring on the top made in China. Whats in the center of that, who knows?

I know you guys really get burned on import taxes in EU so I see why you want to find cells there. I must say after search ebay and amazon EU it's a very shallow battery pool. If you can manage a set of the Tengergy precharged cells you wont be sorry though.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    I know you guys really get burned on import taxes in EU so I see why you want to find cells there. I must say after search ebay and amazon EU it's a very shallow battery pool. If you can manage a set of the Tengergy precharged cells you wont be sorry though.
    I hear you, but I am spending a lot on hosts and bulb upgrades so I don't want to shirk on the battery. If you are recommending Tenergy NIMH D-cells then that's what I'll try and get. Even if it means ordering from the USA.

I'm going to be running the XHP-50 drop in on 6 Tenergy Centura NIMH cells. Any idea of the runtime on high?

Thanks!

IIRC centuras are like an 8,000ma cell. Powered by those, the 5k bulb will run about 6,000ma so 1.3 hours or so.

Thanks for the reply, I also noticed a decent bump in lumens after soldering a jumper in the tail. Now I'm waiting for my T8 to arrive so I can so the same to the switch.
    Last edited by mk2rocco; 12-14-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Tapatalk on slow internet is a bad combo...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12