What's it about Flashlights that got you hooked?

jimbo--jones

Newly Enlightened
What do you love about having a flashlight, and why do you have so many different ones?

There's something about flashlights that I cant get enough of.
For me its a strange sense of power in my hand and the possibility to explore things and places I normally wouldn't.

How about you?

bodhran

Enlightened
I do a lot of camping and was never happy with what I bought. Thinking there had to be something out there that was better than what I could get at a local store, I decided to do some research online. I came across this forum after doing some reading, purchased a Fenix TK10. I've been hooked ever since.

ncgrass

Enlightened
Tk10? My first led light! Still have it and it's in great shape. I get it out every so often to play...

I like going places I wouldn't otherwise be able to as well. I also like seeing when all else is dark, different feel to my environment.

I also like blasting light for the sake of it sometimes :)

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
Where I live it gets dark at night, really dark. It is a rural area with zero street lights, so I think it started with a need. I need a light to walk to my car in the morning (I go to work early), taking the trash out at night (50 yards down the property), or taking the dog for a walk in the evening. It all started with an old Mag, then I started researching for a better light...discovered CPF, and now the more I use a light, the more I understand what I like. Different lights/headlamps for different purposes. I do not own a single shelf queen, they are all users and I tell myself they all have a different purpose...I am sure I "need" 25 lights...lol

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
its just common sense to have one or two lights it gets dark every day you know so you legitimately could need and use them every day. My first real high output LED light was the TK15 G2 I was astonished at the output and range etc. Up until that point my only lights were incan D Mags which were just depressingly dim. That TK15 still works today and it opened the flood gates I now own thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of the best of high output LED lights since about 2006 and have a mountain of modified D Mags. They all have their own "personalities" really. Tint, beam profile, how practical it is etc etc.

It has been a blast collecting and modifying all these amazing lights I have but am out of buying another light for a good long time now. Just got the ZL MkIII HI and really have no excuse to buy another light. Ive got em all from huge to tiny flooders throwers various tints etc. I may buy some of the new 18650 cells with the new gen anode end only protection circuit but thats about it.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing in the dark as sustainably as is practical.

mpett1

Newly Enlightened
Well first I cant see in the dark so I knew I better get a flash light. But when I was a kid all the lights were crap but still always had lights.. So when LED came out the flashlight world really took off. But I guess I always just liked being able to see in the dark with a flashlight.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
An object that I can carry in my pocket that upon activation overpowers all darkness around me.

What is not intriguing about that?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still wonder why the mainstream doesn't get hooked

there should be many many more flashies around the globe

i know others who know and use power LED flaslights, some brand name or no-name beater, but they use it as lighting tool (and appreciate it, of course) yet never get hooked

ven

Flashaholic
CPF!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe part of my nature is addictive in things, flashlights for me are tools and pretty much about the most useful tool there is. Depending on where you live 1/3 of the day is dark! how better to see than a mobile light to carry(or wear).

Then brands,designs,sizes,tints,LED's,materials ,fuel types for variety and different applications=many flashlight options.

CPF plays a large part!!!! i would know far less, own a lot less ,be better off :laughing: But i have met some awesome like minded people here and that itself helps in keeping me interested as well. Made some great friends for life here!! i owe a lot to the CPF and grateful to be a small part of the flashlight community.
Greta is awesome for making it all happen:bow::rock:

Vinh has played a huge part too, his innovation to being an awesome guy has me hooked big time!

Lots of reasons for me to own a few, from edc/general uses, requirements in work, then camping,walking and just FUN ...............

I just have not lost any interest over the years, even now i am interested in the latest to old hat sufefire's like the 6p etc
P60 drop ins always keep my interest, granted i am late to the party but some of the new drop ins being made are amazing stuff!!
My interest if anything just grows more and more being honest.

I could waffle on, but i will say CPF has some amazing members, wealth of knowledge and unbelievable generosity................this place has taken me back in many ways and is a great place to be. So many factors to complete the package for keeping me hooked!

Oh and just being able to see in the dark in HI CRI:grin2:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had a fascination with lights, this forum just happens to be full of enablers. Seriously though, even in the summer you still have a chunk of a day that is dark, and where I live is pretty dark when the moon is not out, so they serve a practical purpose. Additionally I use mine as much in the daylight for those pesky areas where the sun just doesn't reach.

My favorite format at the moment is a solid triple Nichia 219C with a 18650 cell and a forward clicky switch. It's truly a sun in the palm of the hand with pleasing tint, great output, and good CRI.

ven

Flashaholic
i still wonder why the mainstream doesn't get hooked

there should be many many more flashies around the globe

i know others who know and use power LED flaslights, some brand name or no-name beater, but they use it as lighting tool (and appreciate it, of course) yet never get hooked

I have got a good friend hooked, he has joined but not introduced himself yet(dont know if he will as feels out of depth right now, but i think most do at 1st). Anyway he knew about me and lights, liked them but never really got it until he took a recommendation on a drop in for his solarforce (off me). The nichia triple sportac 2 mode changed his perception, understanding tints/K , and how much better on the eye/rendition over cold blue tints.

He loves Daniels and Jons lights, loves jeff hanko's work and others like gizmo etc etc. Now he has been doing lots of looking at and reading up on the such and looks forward to me bringing vinh lights in. Showing him the HDS he did not really get it, appreciated its a nice light! but until he read up about it and now can understand why such a strong following............

So defo a turned flashaholic! guess generally its who has a bit of an appreciation for light/metals from the start , and a bit technical minded maybe ...........With a bit of chatting and examples, people can soon come around and get hooked imo:)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love gadgets but Lights and Pens I seem addicted to I also buy Smart Phones and tablets,air weapons.But most of my hobby money goes on toys.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I have got a good friend hooked, he has joined but not introduced himself yet(dont know if he will as feels out of depth right now, but i think most do at 1st).

Lol. Ven you've lost me a fair few times as well. To a complete layman you must sound like your speaking a foreign language.

tops2

Enlightened
For me its partly what ven mentioned..CPF.

I never had a "real" light and was extremely unsatisfied last year when I had to use it for the first time in the dark. And thankfully for a few Amazon reviewers whom mentioned CPF, so finally I visited this site. After a lot of reading, and seeing what flashaholic's prefer, I started understanding and have joined the "dark" (or is it "light") side. My light requirements are pretty tame so I've already got enough lights to cover my needs (just 3 main lights and a few keychain lights).

But the community here is just awesome so I've stuck around and slowly continuing learning more and more. For now at least, I'm pretty satisifed with what I have and feels pretty much done. The only lights for me on the horizon are Zebralights. But I think in the far far future (5-10 years more), I'm sort of interested in HDS rotary (but priced too high for my budget). Maybe when I retired I'll splurge on one.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I guess for me, I just from the time I was a little kid on, really liked the idea of being able to see in the dark :) Yeah, it was as simple as that.

ven

Flashaholic
I guess for me, I just from the time I was a little kid on, really liked the idea of being able to see in the dark :) Yeah, it was as simple as that.

Yep me too!

Blast!!! that was a lot shorter to type than my waffle!!

Note to me.................keep it short n sweet! :laughing:

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
There's something about flashlights that I cant get enough of.
Hooked..?
What do you mean hooked?
I don't have a problem, really I don't, I can give them up anytime I want....at least I think I can.
*(except when it's dark)
tops2 said:
The only lights for me on the horizon are Zebralights.
That's what I keep telling everybody in recovery.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Your posts are always interesting to read and your knowledge appreciated. But usually followed by by a few Google searches to decipher :thinking:

Erm....this should have been reply with quote

Whilst I'm here my response to OP much the same as dmattaponi, I enjoyed having torches as a kid seeing how far the beam would go on tree tops with my minimag. I also appreciate well made kit so here I am....

Last edited:

Latest posts