Dynamo controller/module

8trackDirtPlayer

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I am currently preparing myself and bicycle to tackle a long off road trip. My bike has a dynamo hub and light already installed, which work great. However, for this trip I will need to use a device for navigation. Since it is a multi-day deal, I would like to be able to charge my phone with the hub. There are a couple products that exist made by Sinewave or Supernova, but I came into contact with a homemade device that changed my outlook. A gentleman had built a module with a switch that could toggle between running the lights at full power, charging at full power, or run both at half power. I was wondering if anyone has attempted something like this before, and could shed any light on the matter slash point me in the right direction.

I am new to these forums and have done some searching but have only come up with diagrams and plans for dynamo driven lights. Thank you all for taking the time to read!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, this is new to me.

The closest that I've heard has been the new B&M dynamo light that, IIRC, runs some small low power LEDs during daylight and has a USB output that is powered .. but I don't know what sort of power the USB provides, or how it varies with light output.

It is an interesting idea, and it could probably be achieved by having a current limited USB charger wired in parallel with the lights. I haven't seen anyone design one or sell one.

piesoup

Newly Enlightened
http://www.klite.com.au/#!products/c3oe

That is what you're looking for. My friend has one and it works very well.

I am trying to make one myself, its taking a while but I'm getting there.

EDIT:
Sorry, just saw that you wanted light and charge at the same time. Surely unless you're only riding at night you'll have enough charge in a cache battery to just run the lights at night and recharge the cache battery in the day?

Last edited:

find_bruce

Newly Enlightened
Late to the party I know but I have recently come across the forumslader kit which looks like it meets what the OP was after. My german is appalling, but what I can figure from google translate & talking to someone who owns one, it uses a micro-contoller to run a voltage doubler circuit at low speed & then 5 steps of load matching to boost the power output of the dynamo.

Not cheap at €110 + shipping for the basic kit. Options, such as bluetooth, larger batteries & 3A output add more.

I am considering getting one to use primarily for running my lights, but also for charging gps etc. 3 XP-G2 & 1 red XP-E2 are 11.12v (AT) 0.5A, 11.97v (AT) 1A, so I should be able to use the 12V output with a current regulator.