Search term suggestions for lights w/angled head?

LimuHead

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

I'm searching for lights that have a beam that comes out of the side of the body at a 45° angle instead of the ends of the tube.

The Zebra Light headlamps are a perfect example of what I'm thinking of.

What are these types of lights called?

Is there an official term?

Do you have any key words or terms that I can search that may lead me to other lights with similar designs?

All help appreciated!
Aldon

p.s. I do own a NiteCore HC50 already with the light in the middle of the tube (and love it), but still don't know what this style of light is called!

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Klarus makes an adjustable head light. Acebeam makes a light that beams out the side,and several others. I believe there are called headlamps.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say they are close to the same,most anyways

I can assure you they are very much not the same at all. I own an angled hand light which candle stands and is useful for diy jobs in dark areas . I also own a Petzl headlamp which is worn around the head and I use this outside when I require use of both hands.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hi Folks,

I'm searching for lights that have a beam that comes out of the side of the body at a 45° angle instead of the ends of the tube.

What are these types of lights called?

Is there an official term?

Do you have any key words or terms that I can search that may lead me to other lights with similar designs?

All help appreciated!
Aldon

p.s. I do own a NiteCore HC50 already with the light in the middle of the tube (and love it), but still don't know what this style of light is called!
I don't think there is a specific term, and when searching with angle head I get 60's era D cell military type lights. I don't think they are what you are looking for since you singled out Zebra Lights.

Also you added confusion by stating 45 degree angle. The ZL type headlamps and your HC50 come out at a 90 degree angle. Whereas those 60's era flashlights have styles on a hinge that would allow 45 degrees. They may be better as a work-light.

Some companies that make ZL style lights include:
Acebeam, Nitecore, Solarforce, Armytek, Ultrafire UF-H6, Skilhunt, and of course Zebra light. Certainly there are others, and then there are many more companies that produce headlamps that don't tail stand.

Last edited:

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
When not referring to headlamps, some manufacturers market the design as Elbow Military, or Right Angle Elbow flashlights.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Perhaps you could clarify if you mean 45 degrees or 90 degrees?

I have an Armytek Wizard pro & Spark SG5 which are both 90 degree lamps and whilst marketed as headlamps I find them by far the most useful general purpose lights that I own - can be removed from the holder and used in the hand, or standing as a candle, or flat on a surface or clipped to a shirt/cap.

The Petzls and the like can only be used as headlamps. I do not recall any 90 degree elbowed designs marketed as anything other than headlamps nowadays apart from a coulple of old-style military looking incandescents.

So the long and the short of it is that I suggest you look in the headlamp section of the manufacturers websites, assuming 90 degrees is what you are looking for.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the below make angle head flashlights. There are others, but don't think all these have been listed yet. Some of them make headlamps as well, but for this thread, they make handheld and/or wearable (molle - d ring - belt etc etc ) flashlights. Many a bit to hefty to be a headlamp.

Fulton
Pelican
Streamlight
Firstlight
FoxFury
Stanley
Solarforce

Last edited:

LimuHead

Newly Enlightened
OP here.

Thank you for the responses!

Yes, I misstated 45°! I should have said 90°.

With that in mind, I did come across a light where the head can be tilted from a straight headed flashlight to a light with various angles up to 90° and am sorely tempted to get it. Anyone familiar with this light? The name escapes me at the moment...

Those that mentioned the search results on Google being lights from the 80's and 90's are experiencing the same frustration I did. That's why I asked about search terms, thinking I was using the wrong word, but it appears that there isn't an agreed term for this type of light.

To the poster who said that I'm probably looking for a cheaper Zebra Light -- you are on the right track!

I am hoping to find lights that are similar to the shape of the Zebra Light but with different UIs.

Anyway, thanks for the search suggestions. They'll keep me busy for a couple of days.

If anyone knows of a light similar to what I am looking for please suggest it here.

You guys ROCK!
Aldon

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked this up in a Farmers Trade Store a year or two back,not at hand at present as I am away for Easter but if memory serves me right modes were high and low with strobe.Cost wise was about £20 or less.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two examples are the Fenix MC11 anglelight (earlier version the MC10), and the Streamlight Sidewider.

MX421

Enlightened
All the below make angle head flashlights. There are others, but don't think all these have been listed yet. Some of them make headlamps as well, but for this thread, they make handheld and/or wearable (molle - d ring - belt etc etc ) flashlights. Many a bit to hefty to be a headlamp.

Fulton
Pelican
Streamlight
Firstlight
FoxFury
Stanley
Solarforce

The 90 degree OP post straightened it out, but I have a streamlight incandescent ligh that swivels to multiple angles including the original 45 deg and 90.

As for the intent, Zebralight, Nitecore, Armytk are the ones i've been looking up. Nitecore being the cheapest. Check out the review forums. The "H" designation in the front is generally the headlamps...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another term you might try is MOLLE lights.

It refers to right angled head flash lights that fasten to "molly" vests and packs.
That'll show you lights by Pentagon and Energizer as well as possible others.

This is what some call a molle (pronnounced molly) light.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Another term you might try is MOLLE lights.

It refers to right angled head flash lights that fasten to "molly" vests and packs.
That'll show you lights by Pentagon and Energizer as well as possible others.

This is what some call a molle (pronnounced molly) light.
Wow!!! What a camo job they did on that light!
All I see is the head and tail cap!
The body, if it is there, is INVISIBLE!

Good job trying to find that one lying around the house. :laughing:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I got a pair at a Star Trek convention a couple of years ago.

These are prototypes.

They worked out how to cloak the power sources,

But the head and tail is still visible.

WtU101E-jx5-YL7ME-abc6bzYuP1cnC_vcyESjYlh1AF0uRA0eUX75vNQWV8_BD_tFlI0kpKHSLltM8XT0OMIsgNoqBrFgYD2kM6xw2EW8QX9pPhUZTUKzgX6R3utNbsQD8EMyukmprdS2KNGcunISDmhgRD54C12w-BWFOfDqJRTa9iW36RonYDPxE2vG9kjbuHHsRSEJX9twEXR8wzTpwtVJzzcj6WmIxfbtHHMR5WMtx1mb5EmMc2Zob-73VpKWa1BosKFeJTsua6Mx00ZoFbo5Di-uW1OW7jXVmkVtHf4FgzhvDjrDEHvu5WecFhRv2jaGyDvkqoDIzEzlqYqACAK_RSQDqAZCMvCRaObacNhVBL8C0zkUuTDtO0W5zJ5dNrzVuO2N3NK1d1r3OqdCt-CODCjH4XlmwuyegPyv2CkUqV_qmN2KMdr4CTw5zCOts2uJLGVJOw4YIQTEJMu5LI1obXerGaBJaULzQXoqZ_jGtxVmR5Z6Hy4gVr7Om_EmzWtuWZx-q0HZTJaynm-b8DJTtzVlgpXdiolvkKdMWP5GFrZX0p3PWbiBl7mdVCvNdp=w1280-h720-no

o9TCOpgyEFz62Au86ox8lbwEhUmlXRxqQ1Yp0BvyUI_pO2tBZSmvKBx8M0CCYzhMNi28QDYzsm6ug31XKm-a_8DLkpSYfoNP0a1G6bEMFHV966iD4u3nx2hHWygtKSSnYvOpQSv335CNYV0n0JbmPArUEPIS0bgkNJdz915fPtbnjL5zXoaalzaElkaxPnk_IWUWbgPqYnyz_4d3jC3hMtDs8AoAyVHJn4R9g4O6d0PykeqX8YzpsFlyg9o3LC_RobyU18NoAU9DmH2MSD9LAWipcelf5Z_49SkI7upNOPga_8xfIZFP4Hkb9QLJsPzj2BFzeLxnqY1ize6jXo61dh79YAjstbQaLBaSyqt2K03uzrCX0l55niozE_qzd9yNYr3r5aeL1MXA5E3Fz-Wqf_1oCurFjeSGH_mPjteOpgb7C2GUKYWEobpgFBV9JaUCmFgXM9h2v9HHK6vdUQTpmkMyWBbqaZ1DRX-FDld-M-WIsdZVXoyZ9CudhRDeGXRstcvgUZZtuad21ucf8O56M5AlkGwLccq4ntZNPFsnDCC9WeYNafDKmxeLIVIRHuQM_h3I=w1280-h720-no