• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

illumination supply customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my Olight S1 Baton (stock black) arrived the other day, and I put in a brand new Surefire CR123A that I just tested with a ZTS MINI at 100 percent. Tried out the modes and everything was hunky dori. That night, I tried out the modes again, and for some reason I looked at the head after I shut it off in a dark room and noticed it was glowing. I turned the head so it faced me and saw it was on, but not on moonlight because it was clicked off, confirming this by clicking and it turned on. Even leaned the head against a door and it showed a faint light ring against the paint - kind of a low low, almost a GITD kind of glow, but the led was plainly on when looking at it. Another member seemed to have the same problem.

So I email illumn and request to return for a refund.

1st reply: Are you able to recreate the issue and have you tried using a different battery?

I said no, only the one battery. And I just tested it again (it was still in the S1) and it's now reading 60 percent.

2nd reply: So it only happened the one time? Does this mean you had only used it once? You did not try removing the battery before storing it?

I said:I have not tried another battery. I just took it out because it's draining my once new battery (100 percent just a couple days ago). It is now at 30 percent.
I don't want to waste any batteries on this.
I would like a return label for a refund, and if it's not too much trouble, another fresh CR123A.

3rd reply: This email reply was a link to the customer service ticket - he didn't reply in the email, I had to log in to illumn and then read his reply:

So it only happened the one time? Does this mean you had only used it once? You did not try removing the battery before storing it?

I said: I tried it many times.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like they're trying to help you do some troubleshooting before everyone involved having to deal with return authorizations, shipping, extra costs, etc. That's a pretty normal step.

Illumn has a very good reputation for dealing fairly with their customers. I'm sure that if you're actually getting sub-standard service (and I'm not sure that you are) then it'll be remedied quickly.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame you are not in the UK, a simple matter of getting a refund with no questions asked within 30 days of purchase.Has the US&A not similar consumer laws ?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like they're trying to help you do some troubleshooting before everyone involved having to deal with return authorizations, shipping, extra costs, etc. That's a pretty normal step.

Illumn has a very good reputation for dealing fairly with their customers. I'm sure that if you're actually getting sub-standard service (and I'm not sure that you are) then it'll be remedied quickly.
So I describe the problem and ask for a return for a refund. They troubleshoot. I reply to questions, and ask for a refund again. They troubleshoot. I reply again.

Seems abby normal to me.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like like you are getting " standard " service based on my experience with them. If I have to choose between waiting for Mountain Electronics to restock an item or buying from illum I wait for Richard. I'll not waste anymore of my money or time with what I consider very poor customer service. I know I'll get flack over that statement but oh well it's based on years of trying them and not once being satisfied with the return/replacement/refund policies they use.
Sorry to hear you seem to be stuck as I have been. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Yes. Illumn has a great reputation. It appears that the problem you are having *may* be an emerging bug in some more recent S1s. This may be the first time Craig has had to deal with it and he may be trying to verify that the behavior isn't associated with something other than the light itself. I have worked with this outfit quite a bit and regard them highly. As to your request that he also send you a new battery for your troubles, it seems that you are looking for an excuse to be dissatisfied. Since you have brought this (a bit precipitously) to the attention of an entire forum, it would be really great if you posted a followup on this thread with the ultimate outcome.

For everyone's edification, why don't you try another battery. I doubt it will make a difference but it's cheap troubleshooting. If you end up with a new light from Craig and for some reason he doesn't include a couple of fresh primaries in the shipment, PM me and I'll mail you a couple as a service to CPF.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it that their policy? If you have a problem that they have never seen and want to return it, you have to troubleshoot that problem by following their step by step before they even consider your request?

andrewnewman

Enlightened
So it that their policy? If you have a problem that they have never seen and want to return it, you have to troubleshoot that problem by following their step by step before they even consider your request?
I can't honestly speak to their policy but wouldn't it be delightful (and edifying for our friends on this forum) if the troubleshooting yielded a result that didn't require you to mail your light back?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Ah. The culture of self entitlement. It sounds like they ARE working with you to try and resolve the issue. They are a small company, not a big box store or online "massdrop" retailer. 2 guys and change, basically. More often than you might believe, the problem can be either remedied or resolved with some simple troubleshooting. If not, I'm sure they'll help you out with an RMA like they did for me on a defective TN12.

patience and understanding, friend!

Warmest regards,
David

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah. The culture of self entitlement. It sounds like they ARE working with you to try and resolve the issue. They are a small company, not a big box store or online "massdrop" retailer. 2 guys and change, basically. More often than you might believe, the problem can be either remedied or resolved with some simple troubleshooting. If not, I'm sure they'll help you out with an RMA like they did for me on a defective TN12.

Warmest regards,
David

You are making excuses because they are a small company.They are in business to make a profit and to me they are messing,simple refund on goods not fit for purpose is the proper thing to do.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is so frustrating when something like this happens. And while this is a singular problem for you, Illumn is working with numerous flashlight complications from multiple customers, all the time. They have to deal with people who have very low troubleshooting skills, as well as experienced folks. These flashlights are being mass produced in a very competitive environment where costs are minimized as much as possible. And the electronic circuits can be quite small and fairly complicated. A glitch like this is going to happen, and vendors have a right to try to resolve the situation as efficiently as they can. And that involves trouble shooting. It sounds like Illumn is not listening to you as carefully as they should, and that is a mistake. We all make mistakes. Does Illumn offer a 'no questions asked' return policy? Have you read their return policies? Did you do that before your purchase?

I am sorry you are having this frustrating problem. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Please let us know.

Warmest regards,
David

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am moving this thread to the /Dealers/ subforum, as it would be a more appropriate place for this discussion than /LED Flashlights/ IMO.
(Unless the OP wishes to troubleshoot his light here on the forum, in which case discussion about the dealer aspect of this topic is probably less applicable.)

When looking at the various posts here, I would like for participants to keep in mind that this isn't a vendor bashing or Jeers thread.
IIRC Illumination Supply has a good record in /Cheers/, so I have hopes that this issue will be resolved to the OP's satisfaction.
Best of luck,

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
More often than you might believe, the problem can be either remedied or resolved with some simple troubleshooting.
This would apply if I requested an exchange - in other words, am I am seeking a working S1 Baton? This is not the case. I requested, and reiterated that request three times total, a return for a refund. I no longer trust this (type) of light.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't honestly speak to their policy but wouldn't it be delightful (and edifying for our friends on this forum) if the troubleshooting yielded a result that didn't require you to mail your light back?
You have not comprehended any of my communication with Illumn.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would apply if I requested an exchange - in other words, am I am seeking a working S1 Baton? This is not the case. I requested, and reiterated that request three times total, a return for a refund. I no longer trust this (type) of light.

When things don't work right or at all, I'm as critical of the manufacturer or dealer as anybody and then some, but the way I'm reading your complaint, I don't feel the urge to side with you.

If the light is faulty, you are entitled to a full refund and a prepaid return shipping label.
If your own battery is faulty and the light is fine, but you want to return it still, then YOU pay for the return shipping and any applicable restocking fee.
You're refusing to take the actions necessary to determine which is the case.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your own battery is faulty and the light is fine, but you want to return it still, then YOU pay for the return shipping and any applicable restocking fee.
If in fact that is their policy, and it is stated for all to see and follow. But it is in fact not, so you're making up your own policy based on second hand information.

I don't want anything to do with any S1 Baton. If that means anything to this vendor.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If in fact that is their policy, and it is stated for all to see and follow. But it is in fact not, so you're making up your own policy based on second hand information.

I don't want anything to do with any S1 Baton. If that means anything to this vendor.

Their return policy actually reads less friendly: customer has to pay return shipping by default, but in actual practice Illumn provides return shipping labels for faulty items.

You don't know if your light is faulty, period. How can you if you are refusing to test it with another battery? You don't need to leave it in there to drain, just see if the light still won't shut off.

Without determining whether the light is faulty, then you're returning the light for reasons of personal preference: you prefer not to "deal" with the light. You prefer not to trust it anymore, working or not.

Well, guess what, return policy says returns for reasons of personal preferences are not considered RMAs.

So you can't even return it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.