What's you're ultimate tactical EDC Light/UI?

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened
After some searching I found some similar threads but all are several years old...

What would be your ultimate UI for an EDC tactical light?

For me it would be a 1x 18650/2x CR123 cigar light with a momentary only tail cap switch that defaults to Max brightness for tactical use, a side switch for normal use (click on/click off) user selectable for brightness at 2 levels. One with the head tight, another with the head loose 1/8 turn.

This would allow access to momentary max in tactical situations with an ice pick grip, and two brightness levels for every day use with a conventional grip.

Many lights have most or all of the hardware in place to do this already... Manufacturers are you listening?

I'm intentionally staying away from emitter selection, beam pattern, optics, etc. to avoid too much complication in the thread.

What would be your ultimate UI and light configuration?

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
HDS EDC Rotary. Does 95% of what I would want it to do. I can make this light do everything that I need with ONE HANDED operation. Thanks CPF for turning me on to this light.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
I want one mode, and a "proud" momentary tailcap. For me, it needs to be small enough that I'll actually carry (so 1xCR123) it, but long enough that one can hold it in several positions and not totally block the lens with the hand. And to stay general on the beam, since it's a 1xCR123 and output is going to be a bit low, I want more throw than spill.

The Surefire EB1 Tactical is the closest I've ever found to my perfect tactical light.... even if I was late to the party.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
My all time favorite is a Malkoff MD2 M61HOT with a High / Low ring. I carry it for self defense in countries where knives and other tools are illegal. Crank the head tight and you can immediately access the 18,000 candela beam. The light is carried this way. Untwist the head and you've got a close-up work light at ~15 lumens. No fumbling with modes and no screwing it up under stress. For me at least there isn't anything better.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Any light that allows me to use momentary on to max brightness in the first try. I have been reading on the HDS UI and it looks like there is an option to turn on momentary where if the light is off and you hold down the button it will go into max and turn off when you release it. It also sounds like you can configure one click to turn on to max or whatever brightness you want.
I don't know about carrying a one mode turbo-laser though...
Then again I had been basically using single mode lights until I found CPF.
:lovecpf:
Reminds me of the time I used a 2AA 200 lumen flashlight as a spotlight for atv midnight rabbit hunting, it worked a little bit better than the incandescent spotlights but the alkaline batteries died in 45 minutes. One of the reasons I started carrying spares.
It had possibly one of the worst (and most prevalent) multimode UI's. It would turn on to the next mode no matter what (bright with pwm>a little bit brighter no pwm>StRoBe MoDe).
LED lights like that would just be better off with a single mode IMO.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best I've found so far is the Elzetta Bravo with an M61N drop-in and high/low tailcap. The switch's long travel and tailcap shape eliminates the possibility of me (maybe not you, but me) accidentally clicking it on. The tailcap is always tight unless I need low output. It is tightened before it is returned to my pocket.

It takes a bit of effort, but I can change between high and low output with one hand.

The second best is the Surefire 6P or C2, especially the C2 if you use the Surefire/Rogers technique. The tailcap will have a McClicky switch with hardpress boot. Naturally, the light will house a single mode drop-in.

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is my old and trusty Surefire E2D with the Malkoff LED head. Then at the tail end I have the Raven Concealment O ring with a small zip tie for retention.

Use to have other tactical lights but keep going back to this cause this light has been with me on everything.

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
This one I just legoed together from all new parts. E1B/VTac Mini L4 body, KE1F head from an M300C Mini Scout and a NOS Z61 tailcap. 3.9" long, 2.9 oz, single stage 300 lumen pocket rocket with excellent throw and a great surrounding spill.

bf2e36857f40c8c47aa505ff30ce5c39_zpsi5kqh51p.jpg

bdcc4a548dfe536f289576f712cf672a_zpssbbobjl4.jpg

01cc9d3eac623ede3a01a20b681f9742_zpsojty4pj7.jpg

HarleyXJGuy

Newly Enlightened
Simple momentary only tail switch and bulletproof toughness. No need to complicate what will already be a overwhelming situation.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Malkoff MD2.
On/off clickie, flex fuel primaries or rechargables. Twist head hi/lo option.

PK FL2 LE
On/off clicky
Hi/lo UI
Uses primaries.

PK Warrior II by PowerTac
On/off clicky
Side switch for momentary strobe or 4 level adjust.
Flex fuel via 16-18650's, rcr's or primary.

That's my top 3.

Tied for 4,5,6 and 7

Simple on/off clickie, TL2 (top) is on off only with a pencil beam that throws like a much higher lumen light without self blinding indoors. Uses primaries.

The Strion turns on high from off, 2 quick clicks for strobe or click n hold for level adjust. Time tested dependable rechargeable cell.

Elzetta Alpha for close quarters incidents. Optional twist on switch, on/off or on/off/hi/lo tailcaps. Uses 1 primary.
The Malkoff'd 6P with an optional clicky or supplied twisty switch uses primaries and is end user servicable.

I'd rely on any of these in a pinch.

8,9 & 10 may get some scoffs but...

Any Malkoff'd Mag,

The new ML25 series

The Icon Rogue flashlight/nun-chuc series.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, but only one of them is pocket friendly. Try to fish the pk out of a jeans pocket in a hurry :)

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened
Lots of momentary/twisty switch mentions yet this isn't a commonly available configuration

Pocket friendly is important as well you won't have it when you need it if you don't carry it. Overall if the light was jus as big as needed over an 18650, or pair of CR123 primaries is about perfect

Lights like the malkof, elzetta, surefire would be better for edc if they had a head the same diameter as the body.

Simple single mode, or two mode heads for reliability and good brightness, but not a 1000 lumin Thrower it's not needed.

Potted electronics for durability.

Poppy

Flashaholic

What a contrast seeing these two together. You can't believe that that they both do the same task.
P

Flick and hold On/off butane fuel primaries, usually NOT rechargeable, but CAN be had as a rechargable.
Adjustable output, 1-3 cd, floody, about 20 lumens.

Very pocket-able, and can be used to start fires to purify water, melt snow, or keep me warm :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Malkoff MD2.
On/off clickie, flex fuel primaries or rechargables. Twist head hi/lo option.

PK FL2 LE
On/off clicky
Hi/lo UI
Uses primaries.

What a contrast seeing these two together. You can't believe that that they both do the same task.
P

One uses a little more finesse. lol.

The other is for when only the nuclear option will do.

kj2

Flashaholic
Elzetta Alpha. Simple one button does the job. Twist switch for a low mode, when you've a High/Low switch installed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Yup!!
That little 7 lumen thing is great for map reading and low light needs.

And the way the little pin operates is pretty dawg gone reliable.

In a sure enough tactical situation where you don't want to be spotted but aint sure where you are in the woods or whatever (thinking Rangers just landed, found cover but aint exactly sure where we are scenario) you pull a jacket/shirt over your head, read said map, find your bearings, turn off light and slip it in your pants pocket.

And the Alpha don't mind getting wet either.

One thing folks scoff'd at about the Alpha was the lack of tail cap threads. I found that to be useful when seconds matter and your battery needs a change out.

For close up action the Elzetta Alpha may just be the best tactical flashlight made.

It's difussed beam makes throw a compromise. So it's a speciaized application light. When throw is needed so is another light. 50 yards is about the limit there.

That's why I like my little TL2 LED or Strion LED. They don't specialize in lighting up the world, but do very well for quick off/on 'what was that?' 100 yards away without washing out your night vision from all the spill.

But the small size allows them to easily slide in/out pants pockets. Water intrusion is their weakness. They'll take being rained on, but when the need to take them for a swim occurs they may not do well.

The Elzetta Bravo may do the same as the Strion/TL 2 LED's but I do not own one so cannot speak from experience regarding spot vs spill.

Last edited:

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
This one I just legoed together from all new parts. E1B/VTac Mini L4 body, KE1F head from an M300C Mini Scout and a NOS Z61 tailcap. 3.9" long, 2.9 oz, single stage 300 lumen pocket rocket with excellent throw and a great surrounding spill.

Real nice pics Triburst.