LED Lenser P7R - x3 the brightness, but...

stephenk

Enlightened
I'm personally a fan of LED Lenser lights, simple to use, very well built, and nice tints. Their prices are generally high, however the 5 year (7 year from 2016) warranty, and excellent reliability usually makes up for this.

Thus I was quite excited to read about the P7R, this is a rechargeable (ICR 18650) version of the popular P7.2 (which uses 4xAAA).
The P7R has a "boost" mode (hold down button) of 1000 lumens compared to the P7.2's 320 lumens. Sounds great?

Then I looked up the price. The P7R is retailing in Australia at AU$231 compared to the P7.2's $110 (though it can retail online for $70). This is more than AU$100 more expensive than the 1000 lumen(ish) Fenix FD40 zoomy. Come on LED Lenser, you cannot justify a >$120 price increase over the P7.2, for an 18650 cell, upgraded LED module, and recharging module. Surely even non-Flashaholics are that stupid?

Interested to hear what others think.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my flashaholism began with Mags Coasts and LED Lenses. $231??!!! Forget about it. This is why I stopped buying Lensers. I just looked it up it costs $250 in the states! When it comes to zoomies I now just wait for the Coast version of some Lensers. May not be 18650 or rechargeable but my new XP-L HP17 is freaking incredible. Puts out close to 1000 lumens, takes 3 D cells, has the same awesome push pull variable focus and is built big and well enough to smash a large pumpkin and still be fine. Was only $60. No the price increase is indeed NOT justifiable. I know LED Lensers sell like crazy in Europe but even in Europe this light will be a hard sell at such a high price.

ven

Flashaholic
I like Lenser, like my T7.2, however i certainly would not pay that asking price for an R version.............never, imho you would have to be:crazy: as there are better lights for a lot less. Fenix/Olight/Nitecore/Eagtac to name just 4 of many options that would come in at $75 or less.

Be wary of any on ebay with a significant saving, as it pretty much guarantees a counterfeit. Check in the sellers details, make sure authorised and check with Lenser themselves(easy enough by phone or email). That way you have some protection for one of the most counterfeit flashlight brands in the world!

They have their place, but not in that category (expense one) imo anyway.............

stephenk

Enlightened
We have Coast's available for retail in Bunnings Australia, and they are only slightly cheaper than the LED Lensers due to the store markup.
If other manufacturers follow Fenix's path, by heading into zoomy territory, the LED Lenser (and Maglite) may have a bit more competition when it comes to high quality zoomies.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just looked at the light again. Just not worth that kind of money. As much as I love Lensers and Coasts push pull variable focus systems this one is a no go. The included 18650 seems to be low capacity to boot. Ive got plenty of other lights roughly the size of this LED Lenser that are just flat out better even though most of these do not have built in recharging. I bet the built in charging system on this LED Lenser is just slow. Crying shame the light looks great and has good ergonomics. Last rechargeable light I bought is the out freaking standing Olight SR52UT. Takes 3 18650's of your choice in my case its 3x3500mah Keeppowers which are far superior to the LED Lenser cell. The built in Micro USB system of the UT will charge 3 depleted or brand new high capacity cells in 10 hours max. I know its not variable focus but its higher quality than the Lenser and puts out a phenomenal beam at all 3 output levels. $115.

LED Lenser seems to be going off the rails on a crazy train ever since they got bought by Leatherman...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a big supporter of Led Lenser but on my terms,they make a reasonable light and are probably the biggest name in retail land due to their slick marketing skills.

In the UK, you can expect a decent trade discount and Maplins the Muppets usually have one or more on offer.

If I could not get decent terms they are just not good enough to pay over the odds for.I think if Fenix handed over its sales office to an outside sales agency I think we would see Fenix the world's number 1 brand in retail and trade.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be a big supporter of LED Lenser as well. Just one day years ago I took a chance and bought a Fenix TK15 and was blown away. Here in the states LED Lensers are really expensive. Idk what they go for in the UK or the rest of Europe where I understand Lensers are for sale all over the place but they are shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing in the US and other places. I would LOVE to have a couple new Lensers especially an F1R and an M7RX but the F1R is $120. My Nitecore MH20 has the same max output and twice the range, built in micro USB recharging, thermal regulation, 8 modes and was $70. The M7RX which Id love to have the money for is $250 here. Forget it. As nice as the M7RX is I have a few lights roughly the same size with much higher output, several different output modes, better anodization, Im not stuck with LED Lensers low capacity proprietary cell etc. and all these lights were less than half the cost of the Lenser.

$250 for the M7RX isnt just ridiculous its insulting. $125 at the most is what it should be selling for. If that were the case Id have one. Leatherman owns LED Lenser so Idk what they are thinking with their pricing scheme....

ven

Flashaholic
Typical price for a genuine lenser t7.2 or p7.2 is around the £40 mark, so $56 ish.

If you can find a lenser cheaper here in UK that you want, pm me and can ship one to you:)

Flashaholics has a discount off cpf to name one UK reputable shop

harro

Enlightened
We have Coast's available for retail in Bunnings Australia, and they are only slightly cheaper than the LED Lensers due to the store markup.
If other manufacturers follow Fenix's path, by heading into zoomy territory, the LED Lenser (and Maglite) may have a bit more competition when it comes to high quality zoomies.

Yeah, I've noticed that at my local B.....g's store. You may as well go for the LL nowdays ( in Australia, at least ) as the Coast is naff all cheaper. As you say, maybe some of the better known, quality makers might start to offer a few zoomies. For the price of a Coast 17 at aforementioned store ( about $118 locally ) you have access to a lot of nice, quality lights that would absolutely trounce the 17 in all areas, apart from physical size and weight. Zoom capability is coming, if Fenix is anything to go by, albeit slowly.

ven

Flashaholic
There is a p7R for £88 from Germany, works out at $125!

Ebay 111935315742

Not sure without checking with lenser if genuine or not! They have a list of authorised shops basically...........

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF_Cometa_482x600.jpg

CPFItalia is designing its own custom zoomie, the CPFi Cometa, based on the Jax Z1 host. Price in the group buy is $40 USD.

• Cree XP-L HI emitter, your choice of CW or NW
  • 45mm Ø Lens (41mm sichtbar, per reviewer Kenjii)
  • 1x26650 or 1x18650 battery
  • Same FET+1 driver as the BLF Kronos X6
  • Same Bistro software and UI as the BLF Kronos X6
  • Copper Noctigon MCPCB
  • Temperature sensor and thermal management
  • etc.
This is looking to be a pretty decent flashlight. You can sign up either at CPFItalia or BLF. I reserved two.

I would love to try out a LED Lenser. Trouble is, I cannot justify the price!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
that CPFitalia zoomie looks really good. I wonder if its a two hand twist zoomie or a push pull? $40 is a darn good price. Coast HP17 for $118? Wow you Aussies got it rough my new XP-L HP17 cost me only $60. Alright Ven an M14X cost $220 here how much does it cost over there?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
$85 is a lot of money for a light that is very true. Now that I have had the new XP-L HP17 since it came out I can honestly say it is still a value at $85 there is currently no other light like it and its built like a brick house. Throws like crazy the flood beam is massive. The lens has basically made the new HP17 aspheric focus to spot and the hot spot is square took a bit of getting used to but its cool.

harro

Enlightened
$85 is a lot of money for a light that is very true. Now that I have had the new XP-L HP17 since it came out I can honestly say it is still a value at $85 there is currently no other light like it and its built like a brick house. Throws like crazy the flood beam is massive. The lens has basically made the new HP17 aspheric focus to spot and the hot spot is square took a bit of getting used to but its cool.

Must admit, I hadn't looked closer to see what emitter our version comes with. If it were an XP-L, then maybe.....

:confused:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That CPFitalia zoomie looks really good. I wonder if its a two hand twist zoomie or a push pull?

The head on the CPFi Cometa twists to adjust focus.

One thing the Coast HP17 may have over the Cometa is its optic. The Cometa uses an aspheric. When they were associated with LED Lenser, I know the Coast zoomies got to use the patented optic from LED Lenser. That's the hybrid where the emitter is mounted on a post, and the optic wraps around the side. The big advantage is that you do not lose a bunch of lumens when you focus for throw like you do with an aspheric.

Does the HP17 still have a LED Lenser optic? From your post, it sounded like it may use a standard aspheric.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typical price for a genuine lenser t7.2 or p7.2 is around the £40 mark, so $56 ish.

If you can find a lenser cheaper here in UK that you want, pm me and can ship one to you:)

Flashaholics has a discount off cpf to name one UK reputable shop

Spot on with your price there Mr Ven and just checking the average trade store price in the UK is
RRP: £59.95
£35.49inc VAT
Save: £24.46 (41% Off)

The 7.2 is probably the best seller in the trade.

ven

Flashaholic
that CPFitalia zoomie looks really good. I wonder if its a two hand twist zoomie or a push pull? $40 is a darn good price. Coast HP17 for $118? Wow you Aussies got it rough my new XP-L HP17 cost me only $60. Alright Ven an M14X cost $220 here how much does it cost over there?

Genuine m14x(have to use the word genuine as so many not!)

Ebay £105 but would have to check authorised (looks genuine but still have to check) and from torch direct £120 so former $150 and around $12 shipping,latter $170 and $12 shipping.

Imo ouch! for a 4xAA 600lm light...........

Having had the bog standard p14(4xAA), i can say its kind of an awkward size...........bit on the large side(if going medium , might as well do it better with a high output). The p7(4xAAA) feels very nice in hand compared,same output but obv less run time.

stephenk

Enlightened
CPFItalia is designing its own custom zoomie, the CPFi Cometa, based on the Jax Z1 host. Price in the group buy is $40 USD.

• Cree XP-L HI emitter, your choice of CW or NW
  • 45mm Ø Lens (41mm sichtbar, per reviewer Kenjii)
  • 1x26650 or 1x18650 battery
  • Same FET+1 driver as the BLF Kronos X6
  • Same Bistro software and UI as the BLF Kronos X6
  • Copper Noctigon MCPCB
  • Temperature sensor and thermal management
  • etc.
This is looking to be a pretty decent flashlight. You can sign up either at CPFItalia or BLF. I reserved two.

I would love to try out a LED Lenser. Trouble is, I cannot justify the price!

Thanks for posting about that light. Looks pretty interesting!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the old HP17 came with the old XM-L emitter the new HP17 is an XP-L HD rated at 965 lumens. I have both the old one and the new one the new one flat smokes the old one and yes the optic in the new HP17 has basically turned it into an aspheric light. Focus to spot and the hot spot is square.

thanks Ven. I checked it out myself on evilbay and came up with the same price. I really like the looks of the ergos of the M14X and love the advanced focus system but that is a LOT of money for a 600 lumen light. One day I will likely splurge on it Ive always wanted one. The combined optic/reflector focus system is extremely nice and 600 lumens is nothing to sneeze at. The Coast version of the P7(Coast HP7)is very nice Ive got two of them its my around the house light. Love the push pull focus. Bright enough and I swear I read somewhere it throws 25k CD. HP7's are widely available here for roughly $60. Love the P7/HP7 design I think its near perfect. Itd make an amazing host for a custom high output build.

the CPFitalia light may be getting ordered by me. The hardware, software and thermal management and 45mm lens just sounds to good to pass up for a paltry $40. I wonder what the output and CD numbers are?