Rare Earth Magnets for Making a Homemade 18650 holder

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, should this thread be here or in machining/materials.

I want to hobble together the cheapest, most durable interior, brightest (v6 bin, driven 4 to 700ma cc) task headlamp from scratch (more or less).

The 2s x 18650 holders in past projects are touch and go, with my $5 price limit.

I don't like-hate is a weak word- the long tube. I want a super light side by side cell configuration. Water proofing isn't needed, soft silicone foam is probably best.

My design is just take a sheet of stiff plastic retangle, glue elastic loops to hold two cells in place (side by side) on the rectangle plastic base. A long oval rare earth magnet for one end to join both batteries in parallel. And two round ones for the wired end.

1. can these magnets be soldered together and solders to a wire? Do they conduct electricity?

(I have other questions about other aspects of the design, but one question at a time.)

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing no soldering or good conductance. Thus, one side: gluing two together, then a copper strip to join ends. Other side:drill through center of each magnet, insert wire and hope for good contact to battery ends.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some that are soldered to a wire, but these little magnets look extremely hard and dense.
They do conduct electricity very well. I use them in-between 2 batteries to give them a little extra length.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting the magnets hot enough to take solder depoles them.
You can use Arctic Silver to attach wires. They will bond well.

Most magnets that have holes in them are built that way. Magnets are made of sintered powder and compressed. After firing they are poled. If you get within 50 degrees or so of the poling temperature they become spacers not magnets.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon me for asking, but cheap and light cobbled together with two 18650's don't seem to match. Especially if you are running an LED only .4 to.7 amps. Wouldn't a couple AA's do the trick?