Day hike and Day camp.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
In the final installment of the MLL get out there challenge I did a day hike combined with a day camp. My intent was to cover a good distance and pratice marginal firecraft. Would also look for opportunities such as wild edibles. During the hike I was suffering from a progressively worsening toothache. In fact had the infection lanced earlier today and right now on heavy pain meds and antibiotics. So if there are more than the usual spelling or grammatical errors so be it. Without further adieu let's go!

My pack.

In the lower country early signs of spring.

Cedar. I will be taking a branch.

Tulip Poplar bark. Another resource to be foraged.

Brought some steak but wouldn't onions be nice?

heading into the hills.

Lots of cedar up here as well.

I was looking for the bark which can be taken without harm to the tree.

On the move.

I like reindeer moss.

ledges.

Scampering up!

Under these rocks is a flowing brook.

It's headwaters. I really like higher swamps as often they're the genesis of brooks and streams. On the down side they are horrific in terms of mosquitoes of which some early ones were out.

Often around water there is yellow birch. It's hydrocarbon rich bark will be useful. Again the hanging bark can be removed without harm to the tree. Knowing the prefered habitat of a target species makes for easier foraging.

Hemlock forest.

Hemlocks tend to fail higher up than most trees in my neck of the woods. This make them good for punk wood as the remaining tree dies standing.

But it also means the failure has very unpredictable results. There is no safe place from a falling Hemlock.

Higher up on rim of the valley will be my target for a day camp location. Less leaf litter up here to worry about. It was an easy winter and the leaf cover on the forest floor seems almost at peak despite being down from autumn.

It's cedar central! Again!

Time to make that bow drill set. The edge of the knife is like a scandi so there is the potential to produce micro rolls and dings when working through hard knots. Had a few of those during all my testing and did lots of harder stuff like working black locust and batoning through knots. Those little nicks sharpened out. I keep adding a bit more to the convex secondary bevel during each sharpening and that is adding to it's hard working utility. The knife takes and holds a wicked edge.

Made a spindle and fire board out of those two pieces of cedar.

Sorry to say the set failed. I was feeling down so really didn't have it in me. Took the wood home for further evaluation and attempts at a later date. Yes I do fail occasionally at this. Then again who doesn't?

Backup plain is a percussion fire using natural not charred materials. On a side note always pack at least 3 modern means of starting a fire. I am just having fun.

And we have fire.

Cutting up the wild scallions on a cedar plank.

Frying them up.

Adding the steak.

Came out great!

Relaxing using the Firebox hobo stove as a campfire. It's a bit on the heavy side however works great for stuff like this.

My day camp which is turning into a night camp. The poncho was setup as a flying lean-to with sliding friction knots on the ridgeline. This allows for near instant adjustments without retying the main line. Rain was threatening but never came. Still a small tarp goes a long way in mitigating a passing shower. I can have my gear spread out.

Got a new 1XAA flashlight to go along with my 1XAA headlamp as it takes the same batteries including lithium ion 14500.

During the day my hiking poles, hydration system and knife has center stage but at night the headlamp and flashlight comes into their own. All packed up and hiking out. Letting the new flashlight do it's job on the hike out.

Thanks for looking. Here is an equally long winded video of the outing for those with too much time on their hands.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to more vids showing your bushcraft especially cooking.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Great story - I can't place the 1AA flashlight - what kind of headlamp do you have as well?

Armytek A1 Prime standard 1XAA flashlight and Armytek A1 Tiara pro 1xAA Headlamp. I was testing out the A1 Prime to see if the tail caps are interchangeable with their headlamps which they are. Thanks for looking!

Looking forward to more vids showing your bushcraft especially cooking.

Thanks for looking! Cooking outdoors is the best!