ErgoMarine vs. Autobahn in RUNTIME

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
We had a chance to test one of these Autobahn lights ourselves and, in addition to other problems it had which made us laugh, the lowest power setting on the unit still consumes 10 times the power consummed of the lowest setting on the ErgoMarine! I don't think it will be able to match the longlife runtime of the ErgoMarine (700 hours), not even close. Well, thanks for all the help guys!

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Just stop giving free publicity to the competitor man... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
As this field has become highly competitive, we've had to restrict our strategy discussions to ourselves and investors. See our investment page on our website if you would like to know more about upcoming products /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Why not give us flashaholics a peek into your labs instead? Let's look out the windshield instead of the rear-view mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, you're asking a company that's having problems with its existing products getting knocked off to show their future products? That wouldn't be a particularly good business decision, would it?

We need to remember there is a difference between hobbyists and commercial businesses. The guy who's turning some new design on a home lathe is in a much different position than a company hoping to make money and employ some people. For the hobbyist, it's a labor of love, with little overhead, and the potential of selling some units to others on the forum. A commercial operation is trying to sell to a much larger audience, stay ahead of the competition, manage costs and grow a company. The last thing they want to do is give away their game plan.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I've been tracking the development cycle of the Arc4 and can see that the new light has developed a high degree of interest in most flashaholics here. I think it would be fairly straightforward for a suitably trained software engineer to reverse that light or the Eternalight. I don't think that developing a new light completely in the dark will prevent reverse engineering. By having an open development program, it helps to create an immediate market for the light. JMHO.

charliek

Enlightened
It would be nice just to get a teaser....

and a ballpark idea when it will be available. We're not asking him to post schematics or detailed drawings...

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Photonboy, CharlieK:

RonM is right on the the money - literally. It's not that we believe our products can't be reverse engineered. Almost anything can these days. So, "first to market" is an important strategy because if you have a good product, knock-offs are inevitable. So, first to market gives you an important position in where the money is. And, if you tip your hat before you're in that position and selling, you may be "knocked off" before you even get production running and find that you're not first to market.

charliek

Enlightened
We're just eager to see the new "must have" lights that will be out soon.... Can't blame us really... we're flashaholics you know... it's just our nature.

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I understand. I wish we could be a little more open, but it's not a hobby for us, not yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

charliek

Enlightened
Hey- My Ergo Xray gets daily usage... it's my "try not to stumble through the house at night" light. I only wish it was more "pocketable". I continue to be drawn to LED lighting.. not that I don't have any nice incand. lights... but 5MM and Luxeons are really my favorites. Hey- do you have a mailing list that you can use to announce new products when they become available?- If you don't you should set one up, if you DO, I'd like to sign up for it.

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
New product announcements (as well as sales and specials) get announced through our contest entry list. Go sign up - you might a free flashlight too! If you already have but haven't heard anything from us that's because - well as we said, we don't over use it.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just putting my foot in the door before it slams shut, but I honestly feel that companies like techass can benefit a lot from two-way involvement with flashaholics on CPF during product development cycles, honing details, discussing fine technical points, offering suggestions etc. It's regrettable that we don't have this opportunity with techass.

charliek

Enlightened
Photonboy- you still get to vote on products even if you're not in on the R&D... when they come out, you either buy them or you don't. Don't get me wrong here- I love to be in the fray with R&D projects- in the end you feel like you're getting exactly what you wanted; frankly it makes it easier to justify spending $100+ on something like a flashlight....

Getting back on track with the thread:

Experience has taught me that when you see a cheap knockoff that "seems to do exactly the same thing" it's usually cheap because the manufacturer cut corners in materials, workmanship, and solid design. In the end you get exactly what you paid for.... Junk.

High end flashlights are a VERY narrow market. Two main classes of folks will buy them- flashaholic nuts like us, or people that may have their lives depend on an operating flashlight (Police, cave explorers, etc).

Concerning the "public R&D" of the Arc4....
The ARC4 looks like a great light, and I enjoyed reading the threads about the R&D... of course I didn't realize just how close it was to being produced when I first saw the threads... I really don't think people were "in on" THAT much of the R&D... but it sure got people excited enough to spend $185 on a flashlight. (sorry, I'm not one of them). Peter listened to all the posts and made exactly what *he* wanted... is there anything wrong with that? Of course not. I think Peter makes a great product, but the Arc4 is priced out of my reach.
I can easily justify $50.... heck, I don't have any other vices... Don't smoke, drink, do drugs... don't care about sports.... so $50 on something "just for myself"... not too bad. $100... well that becomes a very infrequent special purchase... I usually say "this is my Christmas gift ok?". And I have to think I will get a lot of use out of it (like carrying my Arc LSH every day). But $185... sorry... I'll have to pass on that.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you on on that point Charlie. If you use either the Xray Plus or the Arc4 features intelligently, you're *usually* getting less light (conserving battery) and spending more on the light. With a simple, cheap light, you're getting maximum light and minimal cost, the only downside being short battery life. You can buy a lot of batteries for $185.

charliek

Enlightened
I need less light, I use a single 5mm LED light that I have on my keychain... more- I whip out the LSH... I keep spare batteries (123, AA and AAA) at work, at home, and in my car.

A great, and I mean *great* versatile, powerful, and power selectable light is my Streamlight Twintask 2L... choose 3 LEDS or 1 Xenon... if the Xenon lamp pops, or the battery is too low to light the Xenon you switch to the LEDs.. or if you want low light for a long time... for $185 you can buy *SIX* of these.... the price of the Arc4 is hard to justify for function alone.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Experience has taught me that when you see a cheap knockoff that "seems to do exactly the same thing" it's usually cheap because the manufacturer cut corners in materials, workmanship, and solid design. In the end you get exactly what you paid for.... Junk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Years ago I worked for a large electric utility. The company's Consumer Advisor taught me the same thing. She said whenever possible, stick with the original. Compeititors must cut corners to avoid cost or compromise features to avoid patent infringement issues.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
From visiting their web page, I see they are selling the Model 3 Ergo for $24.99. That is a steal in my opinion.