Question for xstar vc4 charger

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if I can use a 2.4 amp wall plug for this charger. The packing states to use a 2.1 but I'm wondering if it WILL work properly and safely? Does anybody have any experience with this?

ven

Flashaholic
As long as the V is 5v, then if anything it should help out. I nearly got a 3a plug but i gave in before buying yet another USB plug that made it all in all the most expensive charger that did not deliver :laughing:

akhyar

Enlightened
Rightly said Ven.
The VC4 is very picky with USB plug as I normally have to resort to plug a USB voltage meter in between the VC4 and USB plug just to check the current going to the charger

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
OK so it's not really a safety issue, but it might not work? I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

ven

Flashaholic
OK so it's not really a safety issue, but it might not work? I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Not a safety issue, if your charging one cell you may be fine anyway, more when charging 2 at 1a or 4 at 0.5a..........

Downside is the limited rates, nothing less than 0.5a................for future it may be an issue if you go smaller cell sizes

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the VC4, and in my experience it always starts at .5A for four cells and then tapers down as needed. I later acquired some 10440 cells which I didn't want to risk charging at .5A, so I bought a VP2 as well. That gives me 0.25, 0.5, and 1.0 A charging rates, and LiFePO4, regular, and 4.35 voltage selections. The only drawbacks are there are only two slots, and it only does Li-Ion cells, no NiMH or Ni-Cad.

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
I'm only using it for li-ion and imr cells. 18650, 18350 and 16340 cells. From what I read, as long as I'm under 1c charging then I should be OK. I just charged up a few and it works great. Thanks for the help everyone!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Xtar specific wall wart for my VC4 but got impatient when the charge rate dropped like a stone when all 4 bays are loaded. So now it is plugged into the iPhone 6 upgrade wall wart which delivers much more power to the charger. With all 4 bays loaded it stays pegged at .5 amps for all 4 bays throughout the charge cycle. Using the two outer 1amp bays it stays pegged at a full amp for the entire cycle. I do realize I may be shortening my cell life but very much like that it charges anything I put in it much faster now

ven

Flashaholic
1a is fine CC and should not shorten shelf life by any noticeable amount anyway, the charge rate can be higher on the 3500's.

Majority of the time I do 1a, for my vape cells i tend to charge at 1.5a(IMR /INR ) also flashlight cells of the same chemistry( cell amount dependent as limited to bays 1+4 over 1a) ,which in the specs has a max charge rate of 4a!! No doubt that will take a few life cycles off the cells :laughing:

Last edited: