Brinkmann 3AA question

overland

Newly Enlightened
I've searched on this website looking for an upgrade solution but not found enough information. I decided to register and post to see if I'm lucky enough to be enLIGHTened. I purchased several brand new old stock Brinkman bi pin 3AA trimax flashlight's but not sure of the watts or voltage it has, the kind that look's like the mini mag 3AA but with a bi pin bulb instead of an led and need to know if the lumen's can be increased (without losing alot of runtime) by an inexpensive upgrade. There are bi pin bulb replacements advertised specifically for this brinkman that have 4.05 V on the package however they may be just a factory replacement for what's already in the flashlight. I've seen the 140 lumen bi pin led terralux for 2AA mini mag but not sure of the voltage compatibility or fit. Also, Can one use two 1.5V AA and one 2.7V AA (NH rechargeable or alkaline) to increase lumen's or would it destroy the bulb/module ? If there's anyone on this forum that can recommend an led upgrade for this flashlight let me know. Thank's

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome aboard.

If you ask these questions in the incan section the sure enough long term incan experts will see it. They may see it here. But they'll definitely see it there.

Me personally, I would not use a pair of normal volt aa's with a higher volt aa in the series.
It seems the lower volt ones would become dangerously overloaded.
Perhaps a pair of 2.7's and a dummy cell would work.

I don't know if you'd get an insta-flash on that 4.05 bulb, or a brighter beam, but it's certainly worth a try. I suppose it depends on the cells you use. Some slow output cells would be kinder to the bulb. I'm not up on all the terms and slang of rechargeables, so others can fill in the blanks.

And you can use a Streamlight Scorpion bulb. Streamlight bulbs fit in the bi-pin assembly of Brinkmanns.

Perhaps 3 of those 2.7's and a Streamlight TL3 bulb.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
There are bi pin bulb replacements advertised specifically for this brinkman that have 4.05 V on the package however they may be just a factory replacement for what's already in the flashlight. I've seen the 140 lumen bi pin led terralux for 2AA mini mag but not sure of the voltage compatibility or fit. Also, Can one use two 1.5V AA and one 2.7V AA (NH rechargeable or alkaline) to increase lumen's or would it destroy the bulb/module ? If there's anyone on this forum that can recommend an led upgrade for this flashlight let me know. Thank'[email protected]
Fully charged AA NiMH might come off the charger at 1.4 volts. so 3*1.4 = 4.2 volts
Fully charged AA alkalines may be 1.5+ so 3*1.5= 4.5 volts.

It seems that 4.05 volts is a little low for either voltage. If it is an incan then it should be able to take it.
If it is LED, then maybe not, but I would say, probably.

I would contact terralux before buying. A 2AA should be designed to run on up to 3.2 volts. Putting 4.5 volts through it might kill it.

As bykfixer said... mixing cells is a bad idea!

apete2

Newly Enlightened
You probably could use the Magnum Star II 3 cell with a little enlargement of the reflector and NIMH

Poppy

Flashaholic
You are probably spending good money after bad in trying to upgrade.

You would probably be better off just getting a 2AA rayovac indestructible @ $14 each and be done.

Or get a light for whatever your specific needs are. The mags, and the rayovacs have tight beams, you might want something more floody.

overland

Newly Enlightened
Welcome aboard. Thank's for your suggestion, would you have an opinion upon using the streamlight scorpion TL3 bi pin bulb along with 3 AA 2.7V batteries versus apete 2 member's idea of using the bi pin magstar11 3 cell bulb? Will the bulb's last very long with the 2.7V AA batterie's? Which of the two do you think would work the best? Thank's for the input, you all are great.

If you ask these questions in the incan section the sure enough long term incan experts will see it. They may see it here. But they'll definitely see it there.

Me personally, I would not use a pair of normal volt aa's with a higher volt aa in the series.
It seems the lower volt ones would become dangerously overloaded.
Perhaps a pair of 2.7's and a dummy cell would work.

I don't know if you'd get an insta-flash on that 4.05 bulb, or a brighter beam, but it's certainly worth a try. I suppose it depends on the cells you use. Some slow output cells would be kinder to the bulb. I'm not up on all the terms and slang of rechargeables, so others can fill in the blanks.

And you can use a Streamlight Scorpion bulb. Streamlight bulbs fit in the bi-pin assembly of Brinkmanns.

Perhaps 3 of those 2.7's and a Streamlight TL3 bulb.

overland

Newly Enlightened
Never been on any forum before and may have posted a reply in the wrong place....Thank's for your suggestion, would you have an opinion upon using the streamlight scorpion TL3 bi pin bulb along with 3 AA 2.7V batteries versus apete 2 member's idea of using the bi pin magstar11 3 cell bulb? Will the bulb's last very long with the 2.7V AA batterie's? Which of the two do you think would work the best? Poppy probably has the best solution but since I now have several new old Brinkman 3AA's and would like to get into flashlight's as a hobby I thought it might be a good way to start. Thank's for the input, you all are great.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got some information on that light?
I looked it up to no avail. But if we knew size if the head and stuff maybe we can help you figure out options on an LED.

I speculate apete is speaking in terms of 3 cells at 1.5 volts each and using a MagLite 3 cell xenon which puts out about 75 lumens give or take.

What I was getting at is using the 6 volts Scorpion bulb with about 5-1/2 volts to give you something similar or 3 at 2.7 would give about 8 volts. Using a 9 volt TL3 bulb would give off more light than the other options.
But again the folks in the incan section could likely give you potential options I'm currently unaware of.

overland

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the scorpion TL3 with the addtional 2.7V batteries would be the way to go and fit ok. Any estimated guess on lumen output, battery run time and bulb life? If I can get at least around 150 lumens with decent battery runtime it would be worthwhile. Brinkmann made a pretty dim flashlight just a copy of the original incandescent maglite mini. I can provide measurements for an LED if I knew what should be measured, L x W x H circum. diameter, ect.? It's almost the same size as a mini mag 2AA/3AA head except shorter. Thanks alot byk for your time looking into this and I appreciate it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My thought was that TerraLUX and NiteIze modules for mini mags involve swapping the supplied reflector for it to work properly and wondered if said reflector would fit in the Brinkmann.

The Scorpion is a 2 cell light. They also had one called a TL2 of a very similar size and stature.
The TL3 was a 3 cell version of that.

Does it look like this one?
It's a Legend 3aa.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?182979-Brinkmann-Legend-3AA-amp-Lithiums

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?12072-Brinkmann-3AA-LS-o-Mod&highlight=Brinkmann

Here are a couple of moldy mods from back in the days when one guy asked another "got pix?" and the other guy says "my friend has a digital camera, when I see him I'll use his and post pix."...

Those are the folks who still lurk the incan section at times.:D

Last edited:

overland

Newly Enlightened
Would you say the TL3 bulb will produce more lumens than what the 3 cell AA streamlight twin task flashlight does? Found a TL3 bulb on ebay for 9 bucks by the way. If I were to use the 2.7v batteries what milliamps would be preferred whether rechargeable NmH or non rechargeable? Have yet to see any expert's reply so far. Thank's again

overland

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to say, I tried the Nite Ize reflector and it's won't fit. The Nite Ize upgrade bulb module is about 50 lumens at most and probably would fry with 3 AA batteries I've been told. Not sure about the terralux. The Brinkman has the same turn screw off and on switch as the mini mag.

overland

Newly Enlightened
That's it... without the rubber handle cover.. I sent a message to electro lumen's but didn't get a reply

overland

Newly Enlightened
Yes this is the light and I just read one of the threads you provided such as the suggestion of using 3 eneloops and a 3.7v bulb. Wonder what the lumens would be?

overland

Newly Enlightened
Also rather confused about the Brinkmann Legend name. The Brinkman's that I have say Brinkmann Tri-Max and model number 800-3000-0. Tried contacting Brinkmann but no answer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Brinkmann is long gone.

Yeah the tri-max is correct.

Don't know if electro-lumens even comes around anymore.

1 amp rechargeables would be the safest in terms of the $9 bulb going "poof".

Last edited:

overland

Newly Enlightened
I made a huge mistake on the battery voltage. I should have said 3.7V AA rechargeables instead of 2.7V AA of which I don't believe their even manufactured. I guess that changes everything..Sorry about that byk.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ima novice at rechargeables.
Didn't notice the error.

A pair of 3.7's and a dummy cell will get you roughly 100 lumens of direct drive. Very bright at first but dimming as the batteries drain.
You definitely want protected cells so the protective circuit will shut down things before the batteries drain too low.

3 at 3.7 (11 volts) will kill a TL 3 bulb.
Do some searching to see if anybody makes LifePo4 (lithium phosphate) cells in the aa diameter. At 3.2 each 3 would be ideal for a TL3 bulb and you'd like the output.

A mag 3 C sized LED light.
About 175 lumens.

About 8 volts in the incan version of the same light using a TL 3 bulb.
And that is slightly under driven.