Test/Review of Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh (Red)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh (Red)[/size]

DSC_3678.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Rated capacity: 3300mAh
  • Minimum capacity: 3350mAh
  • Typical capacity: 3450mAh
  • Nominal voltage: 3.6V
  • Discharge end voltage: 2.5V
  • Charging current (Std.): 1.675A
  • Charging voltage: 4.20 +/-0.03V
  • Charging time (Std): 4.0 hours
  • Continuous discharge current (Max.): 10A
  • Internal resistance (AC 1kHz): <38mOhm
  • Cycle life: 300 cycles to 70%
  • Weight: <49.5g
  • Operating temperature: Charge: +10 ~ +45°C, Discharge: -20 ~ +60°C
  • Storage conditions: less than 1 month: -20 ~ +50°C, less than 3 months: -20 ~ +40°C, less than 1 year: -20 ~ +20°C (80% capacity left)

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-info.png

A high capacity cell from one of the largest LiIon manufacturer.

DSC_3677.jpg

DSC_3679.jpg
DSC_3680.jpg

DSC_3681.jpg

DSC_3682.jpg

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-Capacity.png

As expected these discharge curve is tracking nearly perfectly. The cells are high capacity cell, but can deliver some current.
Because I cut the discharge at 2.8 volt, I do not get the full capacity from the cell.

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-Temp-7.0.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-Temp-10.0.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-Temp-15.0.png

The cells are rated for 10A and at 15A discharge the batteries gets very hot, on the first cell I terminated discharge at 75°C and the second cell I terminated at 85°C (The maximum allowed cell temperature is 70°C).

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-CapacityTimeHours.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-CapacityTime.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-Energy.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-PowerLoadTime.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-TripCurrent.png

Sanyo%20NCR18650GA%203500mAh%20(Red)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

These cell has very good capacity and can also handle current, this makes it one of the current top cells for that.
Being from Panasonic there is no doubt that it is good cells.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries
Compare to 18650 and other batteries

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank HKJ for the review.

I have been using this cell and have been very pleased with it. :thumbsup:

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks! This is ALL I use anymore. I always knew it was a winner, but I've been looking forward to your review just because :)

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ, in some of the curves in the 1st graph, there is a vertical tail. Does a vertical tail always indicate early discharge termination due to excess temperature?

Devon

Newly Enlightened
As I suspected, probably the best cell of its type on the market and confirmed.

Thanks again HKJ.

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ, in some of the curves in the 1st graph, there is a vertical tail. Does a vertical tail always indicate early discharge termination due to excess temperature?

No, my curve recording first stops when the battery temperature is below 50°C and temperature termination is at 85°C, this means there is a temperature range where I will get a tail without early termination.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like this cell actually has a little MORE capacity above 2A than the very rare and expensive NCR18650G, not to mention that it holds its voltage better (and goes for a song in comparison to the overpriced NCR18650G). Even below 2A, the capacity advantage of the NCR18650G is virtually nonexistant. Looks like there is no reason to get that cell anymore.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, my curve recording first stops when the battery temperature is below 50°C and temperature termination is at 85°C, this means there is a temperature range where I will get a tail without early termination.

To help readers understand this matter better I recommend that you fill in the blanks below:

In every graph above the exact termination condition I use is ....
The reason the tails appear in some curves and not others is ...
The tails of the curve represent ....

HKJ

Flashaholic
To help readers understand this matter better I recommend that you fill in the blanks below:

In every graph above the exact termination condition I use is ....
The reason the tails appear in some curves and not others is ...
The tails of the curve represent ....

This kind of stuff is usual explained in the article I link at the bottom. That article has not been updated to include explanation of the tails yet, because I have not decided on exactly what parameters to use.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
This kind of stuff is usual explained in the article I link at the bottom. That article has not been updated to include explanation of the tails yet, because I have not decided on exactly what parameters to use.

Searching on "termination" in the linked article yields no such explanation. No do I see any explanation of the role that temperature plays in your termination algorithm. These are all essential things to know in order to be able to comprehend the graphs. Why not take a few moments to explain them, e.g. fill in the blanks above?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Searching on "termination" in the linked article yields no such explanation. No do I see any explanation of the role that temperature plays in your termination algorithm. These are all essential things to know in order to be able to comprehend the graphs. Why not take a few moments to explain them, e.g. fill in the blanks above?

As I wrote above, the tail is new, same with the temperature and I am not going to update any explanation before I have it working perfectly and can add a chart.
Until then explanation may or may not be included in the review (There is some explanation in a few reviews) and will be given when people ask.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
(There is some explanation in a few reviews) and will be given when people ask.

In case it was not clear, my suggestion was also meant as a request, since I cannot make heads or tails of your prior terse "explanation" (even though I know these matters like the back of my hand).

HKJ

Flashaholic
In case it was not clear, my suggestion was also meant as a request, since I cannot make heads or tails of your prior terse "explanation" (even though I know these matters like the back of my hand).

Discharger is stopped when voltage is below 2.8 volt or temperature is above 85°C (This limit has been lower in my earlier charts).
I will continue to record voltage and temperature (together with zero current), until the battery temperature is below 50°C. This is what gives the tail in the chart.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, that is much clearer. That's what I would have guessed, except it wasn't clear how long you kept recording for (hard to guess accurately from the tail). It is always helpful to be explicit about these things since there is no standard.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
@SubLGT Thanks for the link, and more kudos to mooch for continuing his crusade to expose such fraud. I confess I am shocked that Efest is so bold/foolish to continue their fraudulant marketing after it has been so widely exposed.

It's nice to see that HKJ and others are also starting to expand their reviews to include more higher current tests along with temperature data - the area that mooch has always concentrated on (since it it crucial for extreme vaping).

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The new Olight 3200 and 3600 contain protection only at positive end. Do you know anything about it? Is any element of protection sacrificed in this new configuration? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: