Automotive LED installation for (2) 200 watt LED

Bubbakin

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

I have a question and although I consider myself able to figure out most obsticals I'm having trouble understanding the basics when it comes to powering some 200 watt LEDs I wanted to purchase and install for an automotive application. I've got the cooling part down so no need to get into all that. I just need to figure out the electric issues and or limitations I'll battle, fixes, etc you get the idea.

So from let's say the battery, to both 200 watt LEDs with a simple on off switch how could this be accomplished? Below is the info on the LED chip.

Power: 200W
DC Forward Voltage: 42-46V
DC Forward Current: 4.5A
Chip Model: Cree XP-G2
Quantity: 42Pcs
Emitted Color: White
Color Temperature: 6000K
Luminous Intensity: 21000LM
Size: 82*66*3mm
Material: Aluminum

If I can get this to work I'll be amazed, and a hero. I'll tell the actual use at the end of my build!:devil:

Last edited by a moderator:

nbp

Flashaholic
:welcome:

I've approved this and let it stand in LED area, but I may move it to Automotive Lighting. It would probably be best if you actually spelled out what you are planning to build for two reasons. One, it will greatly assist the members in helping you build it. And two, when it comes to auto lights, there are fairly stringent laws about aftermarket lights, and what you are planning to build may be unsafe, illegal, or both.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Hi, welcome to the board.

I'll tell the actual use at the end of my build!

I'm sorry, that's not going to work; we're adults here and vehicle lights aren't playtoys, so let's skip the guessing games, please. If you want productive help, go ahead and spit it out: what is it you are trying to do?

I'm having trouble understanding the basics when it comes to powering some 200 watt LEDs I wanted to purchase and install for an automotive application. I just need to figure out the electric issues

Actually, for an automotive application there are a lot more things than just electrical issues that you will have to understand before you proceed.

I have a question and although I consider myself able to figure out most obsticals

Please excuse me for having some doubts. Emphasis added.

So: What is it you're trying to do?