Olight - R50        
Page 1 of 131 123456781151101 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default HDS Systems EDC # 19

.... continued from # 18 here.

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

I'd rather be the first with a new HDS but I will settle for being the first to post here!

BTW We were talking about mice not wearing out (like HDS clickies). Anybody remember when mice had balls? They used to wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I'd rather be the first with a new HDS but I will settle for being the first to post here!

BTW We were talking about mice not wearing out (like HDS clickies). Anybody remember when mice had balls? They used to wear out.
    My mouse balls always got full of lint.

I'll maybe never order an HDS (too much $ for a musician haha) but I am curious about headlamp news and followed the last thread for kicks.
    If I did have one I'd bore it for 18350 .. Probably put a Warmish XPL HI in it.
    Rotary....maybe tactical or not.
    Anyways, cheers to the new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    I'll maybe never order an HDS (too much $ for a musician haha)...
    Not true! There's a lot more of us here than you might think! Just buy a used one instead of one of your new pedals! Really nice to be able to see things onstage where the lights are making shadows that need some lumens to cut through.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Not true! There's a lot more of us here than you might think! Just buy a used one instead of one of your new pedals! Really nice to be able to see things onstage where the lights are making shadows that need some lumens to cut through.
    Hah! Got me ... I've spent more on tubes, speakers and stuff than an HDS but Id probably want to figure out a way to put a FET driver or have the rotary go to direct drive on max or some other thing that would sort of miss the point
    Always dug these lights aesthetically - especially the desert kerakote in the last thread.

I also have an H600w MKII in my pedals/cords bag and usually a quad XPL dropin by Vinh in my van just in case I need to make my own light show & bum my bandmates out
    Last edited by psychbeat; 04-13-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Just to be present in the first page

Love my Rotary 18670 Nichia 215, my always bedside light!

Since this thread is already all sorts of off-topic, I'll go ahead and ask my question

Why do we start new threads? What's wrong with the old one? As I understand it the forum software used to require it because there was a maximum post count for threads, but that's been gone for a while now and no longer an issue. Or am I wrong?

And just to keep it kinda relevant, here's links to some of the most important stuff from the last thread:

Hogo's great instructional videos

SOYCD's Rotary disassembly walkthru
    Last edited by emarkd; 04-13-2016 at 05:42 AM.

I was recently cleaning and lubricating my HDS Rotary, should I also be lubricating as shown in this image? I am using CRC Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease.

http://s23.postimg.org/xzcm45yuz/image.jpg

-image borrowed from "subwoofer" - HDS 'Epic' Review
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...0(18650)-tubes

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Why do we start new threads? What's wrong with the old one? As I understand it the forum software used to require it because there was a maximum post count for threads, but that's been gone for a while now and no longer an issue. Or am I wrong?
    If nothing else, at 209 pages (!), HDS #18 was probably a bit daunting to new readers. Maybe this'll help keep things fresh with up-to-date info.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneking View Post
    I am using CRC Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease.
    I know the manual says to use non-conductive grease, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that. I would think as long as it isn't gooped on so that it's bridging contacts, conductive grease would be desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValorum View Post
    I know the manual says to use non-conductive grease, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that. I would think as long as it isn't gooped on so that it's bridging contacts, conductive grease would be desirable.

I know the grease I'm using is correct. In the picture I posted it shows grease on the green part (sorry, I have no idea what that's called), should I be doing this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneking View Post
    I know the grease I'm using is correct. In the picture I posted it shows grease on the green part (sorry, I have no idea what that's called), should I be doing this as well?
    The green part of the PCB isn't (under normal operation anyway) making contact with anything, so it won't hurt anything, maybe just collect extra dust over time as you open the head changing batteries. The ring around the outside edge of the PCB is what the tail switch wire makes contact with, so I would think that would be a lubrication point.

Sometimes shorter threads help narrow down searches. If someone says oh that info was in # 18, but 18 is 6200 posts, it can be a pain to hunt it down vs. if it's 1000 posts. Fewer posts makes things a bit easier to find. I think... Anyways, no real rule anymore, but that last one was a monster.

Flashaholic

Anyone know where the pictures of some super abused HDS are located in #18. I think in the 50s pages. I saw last week but couldn't find it again =\

Quote Originally Posted by trojansteel View Post
    Anyone know where the pictures of some super abused HDS are located in #18. I think in the 50s pages. I saw last week but couldn't find it again =\
    Check BurtRubber87's Clicky in post #404 of the Show Your Beat Up Light thread. One of the worst/best I've seen.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3837263

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    If nothing else, at 209 pages (!), HDS #18 was probably a bit daunting to new readers. Maybe this'll help keep things fresh with up-to-date info.
    It was a bit daunting, but I did manage to read them all while waiting for my HDS in the last canceled manufacturing change.

Flashaholic*

I'd like to check out a XPL Rotary someday.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValorum View Post
    The green part of the PCB isn't (under normal operation anyway) making contact with anything, so it won't hurt anything, maybe just collect extra dust over time as you open the head changing batteries. The ring around the outside edge of the PCB is what the tail switch wire makes contact with, so I would think that would be a lubrication point.
    Awesome, thank you! I appreciate the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    I'd like to check out a XPL Rotary someday.
    That's my goal. Just waiting until there are lots in the pipeline.

I need to know if I want to take a Rotary from an extended clicky to flush is it just a matter of disassembling the rotary tailcap and changing out the buttons or is the e switch different too?
    Godbless

Hah! Got me ... I've spent more on tubes, speakers and stuff than an HDS but Id probably want to figure out a way to put a FET driver or have the rotary go to direct drive on max or some other thing that would sort of miss the point
    Always dug these lights aesthetically - especially the desert cerakote in the last thread.

I also have an H600w MKII in my pedals/cords bag and usually a quad XPL dropin by Vinh in my van just in case I need to make my own light show & bum my bandmates out
    Your first post I replied to is exactly how I felt when I saw prices on the Ra Clicky and I swore there was no reason I could ever find to buy one. Got my first used one in a trade and once you've experienced all the things they have to offer you feel differently in pretty quick order.

All that aside, if I had to say why I carry one to the exclusion of other lights, it's the auto-shutoff that has made it the only light I have that I have never pulled out of my pocket with a dead battery.

A year from now you'll be telling your story to others!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I'll maybe never order an HDS (too much $ for a musician haha) but I am curious about headlamp news and followed the last thread for kicks.
    If I did have one I'd bore it for 18350 .. Probably put a Warmish XPL HI in it.
    Rotary....maybe tactical or not.
    Anyways, cheers to the new thread!

Once you get one, you may quit buying other lights and come out ahead in the long run.
    Then again, you may end up spending WAY more moola feeling the need for more HDS lights.
    You should give one a try, regardless. I like them so much, I'd pay for one in advance and wait a year to get it.
    DB

Not sure if it's been mentioned in a while. Illumn have 170n Rotarys for $210

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    As an owner of both I stand by my original statement. If you can't wait for your HDS buy a used one. McGizmo is a different light altogether.
    I was being funny.. referring to the quick assembly and shipment from Don… Not comparing the 2 lights physically…?

Update on my light; recently sent it into Vinh to get a 219b installed. Excited to see how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
    Once you get one, you may quit buying other lights and come out ahead in the long run.
    Then again, you may end up spending WAY more moola feeling the need for more HDS lights.
    You should give one a try, regardless. I like them so much, I'd pay for one in advance and wait a year to get it.
    DB
    I've always liked their looks - just have smaller & way brighter lights with custom tints already

I'd by buying one just for the vibe and I also dig the rotary interface. Is there a way to remove Strobe from the tactical UI?
    I don't need/like/want a million modes or strobe since I rarely ride road bikes and don't have fantasies of "disorienting bad guys" haha.
    Strobe is kinda fun for annoying friends - especially with 3000+ lumen pocket rockets.

The kerakote in grey or tan would be sick tho. as would a direct drive blast mode option ...
    Oh and 18350 bore would be a must for me - I'm sure it's doable with a drill tape and sand paper.
    And some patience.
    Cheerz.

I've always liked their looks - just have smaller & way brighter lights with custom tints already

I'd by buying one just for the vibe and I also dig the rotary interface
    You sound a lot like me. I've got a shelf full of Zebralights, for instance. Really, I've got 12 of them. I've also got plenty of custom hotrod lights and build triples regularly - some to sell, some to keep. I like high-output lights. But I was intrigued by the Rotary (not the Clicky so much - sorry Clicky lovers!). So I finally plunked down the cash and started waiting. Mine came in a couple of months ago now. It doesn't seem like a 200lm light that cost $2 a lumen should even be in consideration when you can get a great Zebralight for about 9 cents a lumen, so I was fully prepared to be disappointed.

The result? My HDS Rotary hasn't left my pocket since I got it. A few weeks ago I bought the new SC63w, cause I still love Zebralights and couldn't not buy it. How many days did I actually carry it? Zero. Its been on my shelf since I got it, maybe coming out to play a bit while I'm home. But when I leave the house in the morning its still my HDS Rotary in my pocket. Its just that good.

Flashaholic*

I'd by buying one just for the vibe and I also dig the rotary interface. Is there a way to remove Strobe from the tactical UI?
    I don't need/like/want a million modes or strobe since I rarely ride road bikes and don't have fantasies of "disorienting bad guys" haha.
    Strobe is kinda fun for annoying friends - especially with 3000+ lumen pocket rockets.

The kerakote in grey or tan would be sick tho. as would a direct drive blast mode option ...
    Oh and 18350 bore would be a must for me - I'm sure it's doable with a drill tape and sand paper.
    And some patience.
    Cheerz.
    You would be best served to buy the Rotary Executive. Strobe is still available by default with a triple click or you could assign it to a double click. But then the full rotary range is available for variable light output.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwTNT View Post
    I was being funny.. referring to the quick assembly and shipment from Don… Not comparing the 2 lights physically…?

Update on my light; recently sent it into Vinh to get a 219b installed. Excited to see how it turns out
    No one faster than Don when it comes to getting a light into your hands! Sorry for missing that in the original post.

I really like my Rotary with the 219 and sure you will too!

Is it just rotaries that are coming out slowly, or are the clickies taking a long time to ship too?

Page 1 of 131 123456781151101 ... LastLast