Klarus        
Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 5191949596979899100101102103 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3063

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy1970 View Post
    Sorry guys but whether you get a light with a centred emitter or a notch-free rotary switch shouldn't be up to luck. Don't get me wrong, I love HDS lights, my 200 Clicky is with me every day - but honestly I would have thought issues like this would be picked up in the QC process!?
    I was going to comment earlier but yes, Jimmy is 100% correct. At this price point there shouldn't be any exceptions.

My HDS "High Noon" had both issues, but apparently they are both considered "within tolerance" by HDS, so I'm a bit bummed. Besides these issues, it's a fantastic light!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    My HDS "High Noon" had both issues, but apparently they are both considered "within tolerance" by HDS, so I'm a bit bummed. Besides these issues, it's a fantastic light!
    Within who's tolerance, HDS's or the consumer's?
    I'd say it's definitely fair for you to be a bit bummed.
    LEDs should be centred and all dials should turn as smoothly as a good one. If I can centre an LED on a MCPCB on my stove HDS should be able to with whatever fancy machine does it.

HDS's tolerance. (At least that's what Henry told me) It looks to be an issue of the MCPCB board centering, which in potted in the light, and cannot be removed to "fix" the issue.

HDS's tolerance. (At least that's what Henry told me) It looks to be an issue of the MCPCB board centering, which in potted in the light, and cannot be removed to "fix" the issue.
    I had figured that but in the end it's you that ends up tolerating it.
    My thoughts are that the PCB with wonky LED shouldn't be installed in a light.
    The light may be potted but I've removed the PCB/LED from a HDS, it's not greatly easy but within my simple means. I'm not suggesting doing this just to centre the LED though.

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Yes, it is a scam. I ran into something similar on Amazon...Tactical Rotaries for $85 apiece. I added them to my cart. The seller's account had just been set up. Amazon must have a system to weed out these types of scams, because when I returned to my cart a couple hours later, the Tactical Rotaries were listed out of stock and the listing from the seller removed. I emailed the seller to ask if they had more in stock, and they were more than happy to tell me they had plenty and that something had gone wrong on Amazon's end which is why the listing was removed. They then asked for payment via "Amazon coins" - basically you buy an Amazon gift card and give them the code. At that point, I knew it was 100% fake, because 1) I did a quick Google search of the scenario, and 2) the seller couldn't send any actual pictures or further info on the light.

Long story short, if it's too good to be true then it probably is. Stick to buying from reputable sellers and members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    I saw that, shipped from china. It's a scam. You won't have to fight for a refund but you'll have to wait a bit.
    So the seller has already been suspended smh. The wait for a refund begins. Lol

I've gotten a few phone calls and emails asking about a second run of HDS High Noons so I put an interest thread in the "Group Buy" section. Once it hits 24 lights, a second run will commence.

Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Yes, it is a scam. I ran into something similar on Amazon...Tactical Rotaries for $85 apiece. I added them to my cart. The seller's account had just been set up. Amazon must have a system to weed out these types of scams, because when I returned to my cart a couple hours later, the Tactical Rotaries were listed out of stock and the listing from the seller removed. I emailed the seller to ask if they had more in stock, and they were more than happy to tell me they had plenty and that something had gone wrong on Amazon's end which is why the listing was removed. They then asked for payment via "Amazon coins" - basically you buy an Amazon gift card and give them the code. At that point, I knew it was 100% fake, because 1) I did a quick Google search of the scenario, and 2) the seller couldn't send any actual pictures or further info on the light.

Long story short, if it's too good to be true then it probably is. Stick to buying from reputable sellers and members.
    There are only a handful of HDS dealers and all can be found on the HDS web sight. There is strict MAP pricing as well, so if you find a "dealer" online selling the light for less, it's a scam.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I've gotten a few phone calls and emails asking about a second run of HDS High Noons so I put an interest thread in the "Group Buy" section. Once it hits 24 lights, a second run will commence.
    your willing to put yourself through the group buy grind again??? hats off to you!

So if you found it intolerable (I would) do you have the option of a return or exchange or are you just out of. luck?

Default HDS Systems EDC # 19

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Will this be the final run?

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    So if you found it intolerable (I would) do you have the option of a return or exchange or are you just out of. luck?
    Well, I seem to be out of luck with Henry... I'm not sure if Dan would take it back or not. Maybe sell it and get in on the second run? It honestly has me wondering if I should give up on HDS altogether?!!

Well, I seem to be out of luck with Henry... I'm not sure if Dan would take it back or not. Maybe sell it and get in on the second run? It honestly has me wondering if I should give up on HDS altogether?!!
    I'm amazed Henry refused to fix it. Hogo didn't build it. He's just doing us a favor. It's the gritty thumb wheel I couldn't tolerate. I'm sure you could sell it but you'd take a bath on it. Maybe Hogo could intercede for you to get that wheel fixed. It isn't his fault but he knows Henry.

Zip me an email and I'll see what I can do.
    I don't take the lights out of the packaging and check before I ship. Hell, I'm just lucky when I get the right light to the right person!
    I know that Henry's philosophy is that if it doesn't effect the function of the light in real world use, then it passes.
    I can't do anything about poorly centered LEDs except look at it without my glasses on... then it would look fine to me. I don't know if taking the tail apart and cleaning and re-lubing would do anything to help the "gritty" feel. I honestly don't know what would be causing it. I've owned tons of HDS lights, and don't recall ever having one like that, but then it's not something I ever really checked for.

No worries, I'm trading it for a 200 high CRI 4000k 219b, that my buddy has.

IMO those have the most visually pleasing tint so you did well.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

Yeah, I actually owned the light originally, but sold it to him The tint is awesome, as I tend to prefer warmer tints! This high Noon tint is nice too though! I might have to buy a couple of these emitters are install them (centered of course in some of my other lights.

On the topic of the so called "grittiness" in the rotary tail, I have a theory that I haven't seen mentioned (other than by myself or Indigon):

(The following images are courtesy of ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond)

You can see here the contact areas on the inside of the tailcap, which make contact with the gold fingers visible in the top right of the photo

Close up of contact surfaces:

Fingers:

I posit that the "grittiness" felt is the gold fingers moving over the contact surfaces and the separators. Nothing faulty about it and not unpleasant (imo). I'm not surprised it's within Henry's tolerance. Of course, this is speculation, as I really dont know how these lights work and I havent felt your particular sample.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlight’s potential, not sure where it got it’s popularity. - DB Customs

Yeah I always have a hard time with the "gritty tail" reports too. I never know what to make of them, because I'm not sure if folks are experiencing something really bad that I've never felt myself, or if it's just that normal "ticking" that some of my Rotaries exhibit without having malfunction. None of mine are magnetic-ring-smooth, but I don't have a problem with that. In fact I kinda like the feedback.

The 219B's are wonderful. I prefer them to the 219C's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    I posit that the "grittiness" felt is the gold fingers moving over the contact surfaces and the separators. Nothing faulty about it and not unpleasant (imo). I'm not surprised it's within Henry's tolerance. Of course, this is speculation, as I really dont know how these lights work and I havent felt your particular sample.
    If that is the case, then why do only a few of the lights have this issue, while the others do not?

Could it instead be debris between the opposing surfaces? Perhaps 2 surfaces (tailcap/body) that do not match up well?

Mine new "high noon" just has the feel and sound as those fingers clicking across the contacts. It's only when twisting counterclockwise. (Clockwise is smooth and noiseless) Possibly a varied angle at which these fingers are bend, could dictate which rotaries have this feeling and which are smooth. Both rotaries I have owned, have had this "feeling/sound" when turning the knob counterclockwise.

Mine new "high noon" just has the feel and sound as those fingers clicking across the contacts. It's only when twisting counterclockwise. (Clockwise is smooth and noiseless) Possibly a varied angle at which these fingers are bend, could dictate which rotaries have this feeling and which are smooth. Both rotaries I have owned, have had this "feeling/sound" when turning the knob counterclockwise.
    I suspect it is only counterclockwise because that's turning against the angle the fingers are positioned in.

As to why some rortaries have this feeling and others don't, I don't know. I'm going to test a few when I get home but I suspects it's due to variances in the height differences of contact surfaces, gap between tailcap and body, angle and stiffness of fingers... all that will play a role and if the light functions well I can see why it is within tolerance.

I would define "gritty" as a roughness between the clicks. Every rotary I have had had the clicks for each level in both directions. I prefer that to the loose smoothness of magnetic wheel. By my definition I have never felt a gritty one.

EDIT: Does anybody remember what the PEU trit bezels cost back in the day?
    Last edited by emarkd; 07-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Edited my post. Wasn't really a project exactly, not running a group buy or anything like some of the other things that go around here. But sorry to have crossed a line. I hope my remaining question is appropriate but if not let me know and I'll remove it too.

Hurry up and get on the high noon purchase list. I expected to be locked out by now. These should have sold out in 5 minutes. Perfect white hi cri HDS bullet proof. Just got a dental implant today. Stoned on hydrocodone and ice cream. Take away temptation.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    EDIT: Does anybody remember what the PEU trit bezels cost back in the day?
    For the older hds lights? Think around $30-$40 bucks
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    For the older hds lights? Think around $30-$40 bucks
    Yeah, times have changed a bit I guess. Now HDS gets $23 just for the bezel. I bet the machine shop I'm talking to will want more than 7 bucks to cut the slots....

Anyone had a chance to compare this " High Noon" 219c with the 219Bt-v1 5700k? Stopped by to look for a new(ish) 325 clicky to have Vinh put a 219b 5700k in and saw this high noon light. Now torn between the two. Just lost my 5000k 219b clicky and like an idiot I sold my spare last fall...

This may be inappropriate, but I was wondering how long we can expect Henry to keep making these wonderful, beautiful and useful tools?
    He can't be a spring chicken anymore, based on his 34 years of being in business.
    Does he have any apprentices/helpers besides Hogo?
    I am nearing 70 myself and I know I am slowing down a bit myself.

Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 5191949596979899100101102103 LastLast