Fenix Outfitters        
Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123126127128129130131132133134 LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4012

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Hope everyone had a safe time bringing in the New Year..

My little HDS 250 rotary went MIA the other night..

I work on an ocean tug and was setting up the wheelhouse for a late night departure.
    Went downstairs for a minute to get some coffee, came back up.
    Hmmm.. Where's my flashlight? Was just using it a minute ago.
    (Always have it clipped in my right front pocket).
    Searched high and low, no joy. Thought I was losing my mind.
    Fortunately had my 5k with me for backup.

2 days later one of my deck officers came up to me:
    "Hey Cap, you'll never guess where I found your flashlight"..
    "Oh thank goodness!", I said.

-See if you can find it safe and sound in the pic below taken from the stairs leading up to the wheelhouse:

Ron

"Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

I'll play.
    Is this it?
    I'm looking for a Moddoolar Wasp Head and Tube. Please let me know if you can help.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...99#post5153399

Thatís my guess too

That's it.

I'm a zombie lately, we've been working long hours..
    Says a lot for recommending using the locator flash.
    Have it enabled in the options, but it drives me nuts sometimes.

-Doesn't compare to those "lost in a snowbank for the winter" stories..
    But funny though, must have walked by it a dozen times.
    Last edited by indigon; 01-01-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

I lost one of my old hdsís in my backyard a few years back looked all day for it and with no success. It being the old OD green anodize didnít help. Thank god I had the locator turned on. Waiting till night and still couldnít see it. Had to get a ladder and climb on top of my two story roof to find it.all my wife kept saying is all this for a flashlight??im like YEP!!
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I lost one of my old hdsís in my backyard a few years back looked all day for it and with no success. It being the old OD green anodize didnít help. Thank god I had the locator turned on. Waiting till night and still couldnít see it. Had to get a ladder and climb on top of my two story roof to find it.all my wife kept saying is all this for a flashlight??im like YEP!!

Thats just awesome!!! true flashaholic right there

Glad found it indigon, that would do my head in no end till found!

One of my friends who has a ranch just 6 miles from the border lost his HDS while out on horseback. A year later, a border patrol agent he knows wanted to show him a cool light he found out in the desert... Yep. After a new battery, it worked just fine and he still uses that light. The AZ sun can be harsh, and monsoon season can get a bit wet, but even the boot was fine.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    and if that doesn't work: try this: Hogo's Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    One of my friends who has a ranch just 6 miles from the border lost his HDS while out on horseback. A year later, a border patrol agent he knows wanted to show him a cool light he found out in the desert... Yep. After a new battery, it worked just fine and he still uses that light. The AZ sun can be harsh, and monsoon season can get a bit wet, but even the boot was fine.
    I should visit an engraver.

Got my hands on some Nichia 219B sw45k R9080 high CRI LEDs and installed one in an HDS.
    This LED made the 4000K 219B 200 CRI model look terrible and the high noon and even the trusty 170N.
    I love all those lights, their tints and CRI but they all got blown away for CRI and as subjective as tint is, for tint as well.
    I know Hogo has probably had a gut full of dealing with we nuts and our special runs but this LED makes THE high CRI HDS hands down.
    I unscientifically eyeballed this LED against many of the high CRI 219B and C flavours and it was a true stand out.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    Got my hands on some Nichia 219B sw45k R9080 high CRI LEDs and installed one in an HDS.
    This LED made the 4000K 219B 200 CRI model look terrible and the high noon and even the trusty 170N.
    I love all those lights, their tints and CRI but they all got blown away for CRI and as subjective as tint is, for tint as well.
    I know Hogo has probably had a gut full of dealing with we nuts and our special runs but this LED makes THE high CRI HDS hands down.
    I unscientifically eyeballed this LED against many of the high CRI 219B and C flavours and it was a true stand out.
    That sounds like a real winner to me! Iíve often thought about how to get that LED into an HDS ever since I bought a 4500k 219b equipped Convoy S2 from PfexPro. Iím not sure if itís sw45k R9080 but if yours is anything like the one in my S2 Iíd buy one in a heartbeat. Seriously. It is far and away my favorite light as far as beam tint and CRI go. To have it in an HDS would be perfection for me. Great idea!
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my sh*t for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    That sounds like a real winner to me! Iíve often thought about how to get that LED into an HDS ever since I bought a 4500k 219b equipped Convoy S2 from PfexPro. Iím not sure if itís sw45k R9080 but if yours is anything like the one in my S2 Iíd buy one in a heartbeat. Seriously. It is far and away my favorite light as far as beam tint and CRI go. To have it in an HDS would be perfection for me. Great idea!
    Yeah it really is awesome. I only finished the mod a short while ago and I can't stop playing with it. The CRI boost really stands out which is something when comparing to other high CRI LEDs and 4500K is a sweet spot for many, me included.

That sound very interesting indeed! I would be in for one of these THE high CRI HDS to my existing HDS CRI stable. All in the name of perfection.

that would be good . I have these in a triple S2+, but in a HDS?....WOW!.
    Hogo?
    Custom Built

Are we really gonna harass Hogo and Henry everytime to create a new model every time two points are added to the CRI or the spectrum is slightly improved? Letís give Henry sometime to work on a reliable manufacturer to avoid delays or develops an actual new model, the old thrower prototype looked amazing. Or the headlamp or even just an 18350 tube!
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Are we really gonna harass Hogo and Henry everytime to create a new model every time two points are added to the CRI or the spectrum is slightly improved? Letís give Henry sometime to work on a reliable manufacturer to avoid delays or develops an actual new model, the old thrower prototype looked amazing. Or the headlamp or even just an 18350 tube!
    I don't think anyone is harassing anyone here but I will say that this LED really stands out in comparison. It's just that good.
    The tests I've seen of this LED put it at 97 CRI so that's a good 6 points on average (just looked at some tests and the 219C 5000 and 5700K came in at 93 CRI so only 3 points in it but there's around 20 points in the deep red R9 value. Either way, it doesn't sound like much but it's a big difference side by side), doesn't sound like much on paper but in use it's basically awesome.
    I'm late to the party with this LED as I'd already seen plenty of write ups on it but I'm pretty sure anyone who tries it will be quite impressed.
    While I wouldn't necessarily suggest Hogo aim for a run of these it bears to mention in comparison to past HDS high CRI lights be they a special run or not.
    If you're a tint and CRI hound don't shine this LED next to your old favourites if you want to stay content. I was surprised by how much it nailed any other high CRI 219B or C of various colour temps I held it next to.
    Last edited by F89; 01-08-2018 at 09:28 AM.

I'm not being bugged, but I won't do more than a run at a time. Too much of a pain... especially when there are delays. Already have a devious plan once the second High Noon run is out.
    The biggest pound my head on the table is that for awhile folks want 2700k, then 3000k, then insert whatever k... I got what I wanted in the High Noon, so the rest doesn't really effect me except when I get emails asking "I'm thinking about this joining this run but want to know when are you going to do a _________ run and will that light be better?" Well, I have no idea when or if, and "better" is highly subjective. It's also the problem with surveys. People don't stick to the actual survey and just see it as a board to sound off whatever they want.... which is kind of, well, partially, what this HDS thread is for.
    I do know if Henry doesn't have the tails by the 21st of this month, he is in for a bad week at SHOT show with me! I'm a real nagging bastard when there are delays and he'll be stuck with me in the car on the way to, at, and on the way home from Vegas! I can't help it. It's just how I am.

Hogo, please know that some folks need some bastardish nagging in their lives. Represent!

thanks Hogo .
    Custom Built

Not giving anyone grief, please don't take it that way. How about swapping your own emitters, or having it done for you? A "run of one?" There are plenty of folks who can do it. (I'm not one of them.) A recalibration from Henry, and you're good to go... I missed the 4000k runs a couple years ago, but managed to score one Vinh had modded. Sent it to Henry to have it changed from a tactical Rotary to EDC Rotary, and Mrs. Scout has used it since.

I will probably do this when the really right emitter comes along...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Not giving anyone grief, please don't take it that way. How about swapping your own emitters, or having it done for you? A "run of one?" There are plenty of folks who can do it. (I'm not one of them.) A recalibration from Henry, and you're good to go... I missed the 4000k runs a couple years ago, but managed to score one Vinh had modded. Sent it to Henry to have it changed from a tactical Rotary to EDC Rotary, and Mrs. Scout has used it since.
    Custom Built

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    I will probably do this when the really right emitter comes along...lol.
    I see your "lol" there. Yep. I'm with you... sort of. It's an elusive game we play. Now, I did find mine in the High Noon... unless I can get that same temp with 100 CRI, then...
    For me, the High Noon is neutral. Why? It is the closest thing to come to the absolute neutral point on the sphere. There is a point on the integrating sphere that shows absolute neutral energy on the black body line. This is the closest to it I have seen.
    Then there is preference and taste, which is different for everyone, which directly correlates to use. When I'm inside at night, I like warmer tints, and I'll describe "warmer" as being anything below 5700k. My 3 O'Clock High at 5000k, I consider warm. I love this light, but it doesn't fill my need for a light in the leather shop in Tucson, AZ. I would probably really like a 2700k, 3000k, 3500k high CRI as well, and even the 4500k. I like warm lights, but it depends what I'm going to be doing with them. I do NOT like cool lights. They just make me feel like I should be bending over and coughing. I made the mistake of selling my 4000k high CRI... and rather with I had kept it, but oh well. I have plans (just like the well laid plans of mice and men, but I identify as a rutabaga so it doesn't apply to me). It really all depends on what you are doing with the light and what one's preferences are. It's why there are red lights in strip clubs (so I've been told... never actually been in one... fine... I was in college and it was a stag party and I hardly remember what I saw there and was probably too young to even know what it/they was/were.) as it hides blemishes on skin. Low lighting, colored lighting and alcohol are great beauty aids.
    So, I guess I'm at this point where if it isn't my High Noon being used, I kind of feel like I'm cheating on the color rendition... deceiving my eyes on what I'm actually seeing if that makes any sense. May not be rational, but I never said I was. To me the other tints are "fun" or "special purpose" like the forensic blue light Henry puts out (my GOD MAN! Don't, and I mean DON'T go into a hotel bathroom with that light! You will end up trying to use the toilet from the bed... which is what it looks like everyone else has been doing!)

Well, so there's my take on the perfect emitter... perfect for me anyway. Would be neat if it went to 5000 lumens, but I don't use much over 100 anyway and probably am not even going over 30 most of the time, even with my tired old eyes.

I'm so happy with my 3 o'clock high I wouldn't consider another HDS unless a thrower is built. It will never happen because you'd need to boost an XP-E to 1.5 amps to get any kind of throw out of it.

the nichia 219b sw45 9080 would be nice , even a Yuji 5600k.
    Custom Built

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    That's how I got mine done, did it myself. Granted it's not for everyone but I'm not any kind of electrician I'm just handy and it's really not a huge feat.
    I don't really see much point in sending it in for calibration as all that will do is slightly raise or lower the output of the driver. I'm not really worried if a once 200 rated is now a 210 or a 190 etc. Mine works great.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I'm so happy with my 3 o'clock high I wouldn't consider another HDS unless a thrower is built. It will never happen because you'd need to boost an XP-E to 1.5 amps to get any kind of throw out of it.
    Some kind of enlarged bezel/reflector replacement that simply replaced the standard one would work well, I like the XPE2 and think with such a bezel and standard drive current making it close to a 200 would work great.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    the nichia 219b sw45 9080 would be nice , even a Yuji 5600k.
    Bottom line is that the sw45k R9080 is the best high CRI I've seen in an HDS. It makes my high noon look greeny blue and washed out, granted the sw45k looks a bit pink in comparison. Both will appear white in independent use but the sw45k CRI colour rendition is clearly superior.
    I'm not saying the other models/LEDs are bad, and I do still like them, but the sw45k is awesome.
    Last edited by F89; 01-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    Bottom line is that the sw45k R9080 is the best high CRI I've seen in an HDS. It makes my high noon look greeny blue and washed out, granted the sw45k looks a bit pink in comparison. Both will appear white in independent use but the sw45k CRI colour rendition is clearly superior.
    I'm not saying the other models/LEDs are bad, and I do still like them, but the sw45k is awesome.
    All this talk has spurred me to act on my desire to put a sw45 in one of my HDS lights. I found a couple for sale on another forum and theyíre on the way. Regardless of how many step-by-step instructions Iíve studied on YouTube, I have no intention of doing this myself. So...any pointers toward a competent HDS modder would be greatly appreciated!
    BTW, I really want to learn how to do this but donít want to practice on a $300 light, if you know what I mean.)
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my sh*t for what I told her I paid for it.

Vinh has done them before, he might help out.
    P
    I'm looking for a Moddoolar Wasp Head and Tube. Please let me know if you can help.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...99#post5153399

Vinh + 1 for HDS mods.
    Custom Built

Flashaholic

Thanks much, Iíll drop him a line.

Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123126127128129130131132133134 LastLast