Klarus        
Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Something I've wondered for awhile and haven't been able to find the answer myself using search. When you place a build request for a HDS, is that light considered a custom in every sense of the word or is it a production light built to your specs?

Flashaholic

With the start of the new thread, I need to make a post to regain that little green indicator on the LED main forum page… That’s how I usually find my threads of interest.

So, this post will discuss my NUCLEAR WAR light.

I specifically chose this configuration to be of greatest use in pretty much the worst situation I could possibly imagine: the immediate and long-term aftermath of nuclear war. The EMP resistance of HDS lights has been discussed in the past ad nauseum, so I won’t get into that. So assuming the light survives the initial blast (I’m assuming I will as well), some desirable characteristics for a light might be:

• A common battery type that can be scavenged from everyday items
    • Extended run times at low levels
    • Flood beam for nearby and especially arms-reach distances
    • Sub-lumen capability
    • Highest reliability

So here’s what I chose… HDS Clicky, 2xAA battery compartment, 200 lumen high CRI Nichia 219B, diffuse flood reflector.

In my pre-war use, I only run NiMH batteries in this light. I will tolerate the potential for alkaline battery leakage in a $300+ light when the end of the world is at hand, but not before. If things go pear shaped, my eneloops will eventually run dry and I can then salvage the radioactive alkalines strewn about the war-torn wreckage of post-apocalyptic America.

In the burned-out horror of a once great nation laid to waste, the HDS will allow me to access many ultra-low levels with a light having a proven, extremely reliable track record. I considered a Rotary user interface for this light, but because of the theoretically less-robust mechanical design of the Rotary, the fact that I must compulsively dial Rotaries up and down to find just the right setting, and the potential for a radiation-induced loss of manual dexterity… I chose the Clicky interface. Now here’s a picture:

There’s a bit of cheekiness in this post, but yes, I really did pick out this configuration based on what might be most useful in the aftermath of a nuclear war. I have a number of HDS lights and I needed some justification to purchase yet another.
    Last edited by JohnSmith; 04-17-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by calypso699 View Post
    Something I've wondered for awhile and haven't been able to find the answer myself using search. When you place a build request for a HDS, is that light considered a custom in every sense of the word or is it a production light built to your specs?
    It's a production light built to your specs. As soon as you deviate from the very few standard configurations that are offered, it's going to fall into that "custom" category. Although the build combinations aren't endless, there are enough that a deviation from those standard configurations means that your order has to be specifically assembled just for you.
    Last edited by JohnSmith; 04-17-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    It's a production light built to your specs. As soon as you deviate from the very few standard configurations that are offered, it's going to fall into that "custom" category. Although the build combinations aren't endless, there are enough that a deviation from those standard configurations means that your order has to be specifically assembled just for you.
    you answered my question perfectly thank you!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post

Thereís a bit of cheekiness in this post, but yes, I really did pick out this configuration based on what might be most useful in the aftermath of a nuclear war. I have a number of HDS lights and I needed some justification to purchase yet another.
    In this post nuclear war scenario, have you considered using s solar charger for your rechargeables?

I would love to get an AA battery tube for my Rotary, but I still can't come to grips with the price.

Quote Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
    I would love to get an AA battery tube for my Rotary, but I still can't come to grips with the price.
    Have a 18650 rotary in back-order at Just Conquer. Their price is lower than the dealer in France, because of the exchange rate. Do have to wait for awhile.. Henry hasn't shipped the order to them yet.

I actually placed a custom order today and received a notification that it would be ready and ship within 2 weeks. I'm not sure that's standard practice or not but the production times may be significantly down from what I was expecting.

Clicky, 325 Lum with 2xAA tube. Similar to the one described above and my first HDS!

Hate to burst your bubble but just be patient. I ordered my first HDS in November and got the same email. I even emailed to confirm and was told it may take up to 4 weeks since it was a custom. Got my light in February. Yes it was worth the wait.

I do think things are moving faster at the moment though, but I wouldn't be surprised if that 2wk window comes and goes

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Have a 18650 rotary in back-order at Just Conquer. Their price is lower than the dealer in France, because of the exchange rate. Do have to wait for awhile.. Henry hasn't shipped the order to them yet.
    How long have you been waiting for the back-order from Just Conquer? And did they give any expected date for them to get their orders from Henry and ship to you?

Quote Originally Posted by fadon View Post
    How long have you been waiting for the back-order from Just Conquer? And did they give any expected date for them to get their orders from Henry and ship to you?
    Waiting since early March. They were given a shipping expectation about 3-4 week ago, but their order hasn't been shipped yet. Of course, their order includes more than just my ordered tube.

On average, how long do these lights take to ship (for the clickies, not the rotaries)
    My website: https://precogvision.wordpress.com (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Well it has been 6 weeks from ordering my custom rotary. I am still interested but I am losing hope of having it anytime soon.
    The darkness is not my enemy, it is just where they hide: my fears, the unknown, and those that would do harm fear the light. I must always carry it with me to dispel the darkness and reveal the truth...

Don't lose hope. Hell I ve been waiting since April last year! When you get it you WILL be happy.
    Donít Tread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by Tre_Asay View Post
    Well it has been 6 weeks from ordering my custom rotary. I am still interested but I am losing hope of having it anytime soon.
    Yup - almost 9 weeks for me.

Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    Don't lose hope. Hell I ve been waiting since April last year! When you get it you WILL be happy.
    +1. Don't lose hope! usdiver must be waiting on the NRA Blue, yes? At any rate, whatever the build, the lights are worth it. For me its an FDE Cerakoted High CRI Rotary. Can't wait, but gotta wait!

Flashaholic

Henry said LED board delivery was late, but arrived yesterday. He said my Clicky order, place within last couple weeks, should be completed by end of this upcoming week.

I know things can run out of stock, but seems like there is always something which causes delays..
    Still waiting on my order, a 18650 rotary tube, that I placed over at Just Conquer. They're waiting until Henry ships it to them.

Flashaholic

So when you switch tubes, your programming remains unchanged, correct?

I'm running stock UI, but I assume so yes. Want to run a 18650 in my 250 rotary.

I don't have any extra tubes so I can't comment from personal experience, but all the documentation says that switching tubes wouldn't cause an issue with programming. In order to lose your programming you have to do a factory reset, which is a very specific set of steps.

I know that they don't recommend using 2 cr123 batteries but I wonder if a spacer could be made up to use 1x cr123 in the 18680 compartment?

heck, I already have 3 18650 batteries so if that is'nt enough then I have worse things to worry about in an emergency.
    What I like about the HDS is that it can be used as an edc light or as a not very bright but super long lasting emergency light.
    If power was knocked out then it would be dark and I could get by on >5 lumens, which would give me over a week of constant use. Now unless the sun dissapeared I would only use light 1/3-1/4 of the time. Assuming I had 4 charged cells I could last 3+ months with a single light. I am looking for a 12v solar set up so I can power a nitecore D2 off the grid and be self sufficient even if I find myself in a place with rolling blackouts.
    The darkness is not my enemy, it is just where they hide: my fears, the unknown, and those that would do harm fear the light. I must always carry it with me to dispel the darkness and reveal the truth...

I m waiting on the second run 4000k neutral. Opted out of the blue. Tactical rotary... I ve asked if I could have it switched to the rotary ui as you lose one preset with the tactical. If he wants to build it the way I ordered it that is ok too. I ve only recently learned how to get the rotary into momentary hi but hell I suppose I can cancel the ui change request. Can always have him reprogram later. You can change the tails as long as the rotary tails are being used with a rotary head. They and the clickies can't be interchanged. Also the program is in the head so it doesn't matter about the tail I'd: rotary tail on a rotary head = rotary. Same tail on a rotary tactical light = tactical. Correct me if I m wrong but I m sure I m correct.
    FDE cerekote sounds and looks good but the flat finishes don't last as long as the gloss finish or the best is annodized black
    Donít Tread On Me

Ordered a custom tactical rotary in with Nichia 219b and Orange cerakote. Got an email from Henry on 4/1 saying 4 weeks. Hopefully it's soon. I also hope the reflector is the orange peel and not the smooth variety.

I have an HDS that I would like to change the LED. First is it difficult? Second does HDS sell light engines for this purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by LATimber View Post
    I have an HDS that I would like to change the LED. First is it difficult?
    I guess that depends how good you are with a soldering iron.

Some have done it very successfully, so it can be done.

Second does HDS sell light engines for this purpose?
    Nope, the electronics are all potted in place. Trying to remove them will destroy them.

Well if there is a skill level below novice, I am a few behind that... Guess I will have to order what I am looking for as opposed to a DIY. Thanks for the input.

chris

Flashaholic*

Well if there is a skill level below novice, I am a few behind that... Guess I will have to order what I am looking for as opposed to a DIY. Thanks for the input.

chris
    There are a few members around who will do this work for you at reasonable rates. Vinh may do it. I know Jake was too at one point. Maybe SOYCD...

eala

Well if there is a skill level below novice, I am a few behind that... Guess I will have to order what I am looking for as opposed to a DIY.
    Like Eala said there are plenty of people here who can and have done these simple emitter swaps. Probably most of my lights have had the emitters changed out for tints I preferred.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I have an HDS that I would like to change the LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by eala View Post
    There are a few members around who will do this work for you at reasonable rates. Vinh may do it.
    I bought my EDC Exec second hand with the LED swapped by Vinh, and I am pleased with it. The emitter is right where it should be on the PCB, but it's slightly off center in the reflector, which seems consistent with most HDS pictures I've seen 'down the tube'. I can't tell against a white wall that it at all impacts the beam quality, though.

Hi,
    I've just got the HiCRI 200lm Rotary from HDS and have a problem:
    - When I set the minimum output, I heard a small sound like mosquito. Why the previous 200lm Rotary does not have a sound like HiCRI? Is the new one normal or abnormal?
    Thanks everyone

Page 2 of 151 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast