HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Quote Originally Posted by khoinguyen1407 View Post
    Hi,
    I've just got the HiCRI 200lm Rotary from HDS and have a problem:
    - When I set the minimum output, I heard a small sound like mosquito. Why the previous 200lm Rotary does not have a sound like HiCRI? Is the new one normal or abnormal?
    Thanks everyone
    That would be the firefly used to for firefly mode.

I've got a HCri 200 Rotary and have no inductor whine on any level. Then again I haven't always been kind to my hearing over the years so maybe I just can't hear it.

Flashaholic

Hi,
    - When I set the minimum output, I heard a small sound like mosquito. Why the previous 200lm Rotary does not have a sound like HiCRI? Is the new one normal or abnormal?
    Thanks everyone
    Although this would bother me, I have read from similar posts that this is normal and does not affect performance.

I have a number of lights with low level whine, although I can't recall if any of my HDS lights do, I may have at least one from Henry that does. Not sure you would have any luck getting it "fixed" as a defect, though. I have found for use around the house, turning up the stereo works wonders for this issue. Seriously, though, it will never cause a problem other than what you hear. I usually only notice it when I hold the light close to my ear, so I don't do that.

Hi,
    Thanks everyone
    I'm not sure but if you will send it to me for a few months I will check it out thoroughly. Shall I pm my info?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I'm not sure but if you will send it to me for a few months I will check it out thoroughly. Shall I pm my info?
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    That would be the firefly used to for firefly mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojansteel View Post
    Although this would bother me, I have read from similar posts that this is normal and does not affect performance.
    Thanks for your all replies
    @recDNA: I'm living in South East Asia, so I think there will be a little problem when sending my HDS to you. I just want to confirm anyone's HDS like me? And if it's normal, it's OK. Anw, thanks for your suggest

Thanks for your all replies
    @recDNA: I'm living in South East Asia, so I think there will be a little problem when sending my HDS to you. I just want to confirm anyone's HDS like me? And if it's normal, it's OK. Anw, thanks for your suggest
    Completely normal, nothing to worry about.
    As you noted, it's more noticeable on some levels than others. Some lights are more quiet than others.
    I have 3 recent clickies and from memory my 170N is the quietest (maybe completely silent but I'd have to check as I can't remember) but I never really notice unless I'm putting them close to my ear and searching for it.

Actually, itís somewhat odd to have excessive (in this case) electro-magnetostriction with potted electronics.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LedTed View Post
    Actually, itís somewhat odd to have excessive (in this case) electro-magnetostriction with potted electronics.
    Why?

Something generally has to be shaking around to generate (and especially amplify) the noise

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise
    ... is the archimedes peak

Actually, it’s somewhat odd to have excessive (in this case) electro-magnetostriction with potted electronics.
    What's excessive? I wouldn't think that any HDS has excessive whine? I would imagine that being something easily heard at arms length or over general noise.
    On the other hand I'm quite sure that many samples create a whine (if not most samples) on certain drive levels if held to the ear or close enough in a quiet room?
    I have 3 recent HDS and all create noise from memory, 2 of them more than one in particular. I'll test them later and update my post.
    Last edited by F89; 04-29-2016 at 05:53 PM.

May depend on the sharpness of your hearing ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

My Flat Dark Earth Cerakoted High CRI Rotary arrived today. Dang, was it ever worth the 2 month wait. Interesting new reflector. And that tint is just so nice - a little warm, nice beam wth a defined spot and good spill, and the precision control of the rotary UI. NO whine from mine whatsoever.

Looking forward to doing some beam shots with it and some other lights, including my new Ti Aeon MKIII.

If you want one of these and are put off by the recent waits, don't be. They are worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    May depend on the sharpness of your hearing ....
    Yes, I think so.
    I have quite good hearing.
    Just did a quick test although the room wasn't completely silent.
    Held to the ear they all had some sounds mainly on my lowest moonlight settings which I would describe as a kind of hiss more than a whine? When turning on in max there is a little series of clicks which best describes the sound.
    Whatever the case the sounds are very quiet.
    I'm quite certain that all HDS lights would display this but most people wouldn't notice.
    Lights tested:
    All clickies,
    170N which was the quietest
    Hyper Red from the 1st run
    200 HiCri
    Last edited by F89; 04-29-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    My Flat Dark Earth Cerakoted High CRI Rotary arrived today. Dang, was it ever worth the 2 month wait. Interesting new reflector. And that tint is just so nice - a little warm, nice beam wth a defined spot and good spill, and the precision control of the rotary UI. NO whine from mine whatsoever.

Looking forward to doing some beam shots with it and some other lights, including my new Ti Aeon MKIII.

If you want one of these and are put off by the recent waits, don't be. They are worth the wait.
    I'd be interested to see those beam shots. I was interested to see how the new smooth reflector performs, I'm generally a fan of OP.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I'd be interested to see those beam shots. I was interested to see how the new smooth reflector performs, I'm generally a fan of OP.
    Weather permitting I'll take 'em tomorrow night. So far I am very impressed by the smoothness of the beam. You'd swear it was OP.

And as much as I love this FDE flush button rotary, I may have to add a black on black, raised button, sapphire lens rotary to the collection. This is one heck of a light
    Last edited by run4jc; 04-29-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Weather permitting I'll take 'em tomorrow night. So far I am very impressed by the smoothness of the beam. You'd swear it was OP.
    Sounds good. A well done arrangement can create as smooth of a beam with OP or smooth reflector so I'm not surprised that it's good.
    My guess is that Henry found he could get a nice clean beam with smooth reflectors with a possible small increase in throw so he went with it in line with his inclination to constantly fine tune his design.
    I'm guessing that the hot spot has a sharper edge than the previously used OP, this being the main difference in beams?
    By the way, that FDE cerakote must look great.
    Last edited by F89; 04-29-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    The following picture shows the beam of the the smooth reflector on my new 325 Rotary. The beam has many rings and a horribly square corona.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

The following picture shows the beam of the the smooth reflector on my new 325 Rotary. The beam has many rings and a horribly square corona.
    Woah not cool. Is the camera exaggerating that?
    My guess is that the nichia or XPG2 would look better than the XPL of which I'm not a big fan of. I think HDS should use XPL HI if they focus correctly or even XML2, I prefer both these over standard XPL.
    Looks like the XPL would definitely fair better with an OP.
    Saying that, I'm sure it looks ok in actual use.
    Last edited by F89; 04-30-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Received an email from Just Conquer, that Henry has shipped their order. So my 18650 rotary tube order should be fulfilled in a week or so

Enlightened Insulator Collector's Avatar

So I'm on the verge of getting myself an HDS Rotary as an EDC light. But I'm torn as to which features to get...

- Standard or tactical rotary?
    - 325 lumen XP-L, 250 lumen XP-G2, or 200 lumen 219B High CRI?
    - Flush or raised button?
    - Universal clip... really worth the $54? Maybe a holster is better?

From what I've read, this may be the last flashlight I buy (ha ha). So I want to get features I won't regret. I know there is an element of personal preference here, but I welcome opinions. For those of you who own HDS rotary flashlights, which features would you choose, and why? Did you buy particular features, and wish you'd chosen differently?

To complicate matters, I found an HDS distributor with a handful of tactical rotary (Nichia 219B) units in stock. They're advertised as 170 lumens / CRI 85+... which they classify as "neutral" white. I don't know why this distributor's specs differ from the HDS site that says 200 lumens / CRI 93. They are on sale for $210. If you were buying your first rotary, would you jump on this $60 savings?

Decisions, decisions. I turn to the collective wisdom of this forum and ask: what HDS Rotary features should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Insulator Collector View Post
    So I'm on the verge of getting myself an HDS Rotary as an EDC light. But I'm torn as to which features to get...

From what I've read, this may be the last flashlight I buy (ha ha). So I want to get features I won't regret. I know there is an element of personal preference here, but I welcome opinions. For those of you who own HDS rotary flashlights, which features would you choose, and why? Did you buy particular features, and wish you'd chosen differently?

To complicate matters, I found an HDS distributor with a handful of tactical rotary (Nichia 219B) units in stock. They're advertised as 170 lumens / CRI 85+... which they classify as "neutral" white. I don't know why this distributor's specs differ from the HDS site that says 200 lumens / CRI 93. They are on sale for $210. If you were buying your first rotary, would you jump on this $60 savings?

Decisions, decisions. I turn to the collective wisdom of this forum and ask: what HDS Rotary features should I buy?
    Hi,

I have both the 170N and 200 HiCri.
    Here's the breakdown, the 170 has a touch more throw and slightly smaller more defined hot spot.
    The 170 has a very nice neutral tint close to 5000K while the 200 is on the warm side at about 4000K.
    The CRI of the 170 is quite good but not quite at the best available HiCri, I love HiCri but really like the nice white neutral tint of the 170 so that makes up for the lower CRI a bit.
    If you like warmish tints go the 200.
    If you appreciate maximum HiCri go the 200.
    If you like a very neutral tint go the 170 and still get above average CRI.
    If you want to save a bit of coin get the 170.
    Bottom line, both are great.
    I'll add that the reason the specs are different between sites is that the 170N is pre 200 HiCri and no longer in production. Saying that you're not getting a dated light by going the 170N although there were mild changes made to the way the reflector seats and minor program changes. Both my lights have an OP reflector which is great but a current shipping 200 HiCri will probably come with a smooth one.
    Last edited by F89; 05-01-2016 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added info on release times etc.

I found an HDS distributor with a handful of tactical rotary (Nichia 219B) units in stock. They're advertised as 170 lumens / CRI 85+... which they classify as "neutral" white. I don't know why this distributor's specs differ from the HDS site that says 200 lumens / CRI 93. They are on sale for $210. If you were buying your first rotary, would you jump on this $60 savings?

To add to the excellent post by F89 I'll add that having had a 170N and knowing other owners of that light, it is an excellent light and to tell the truth I'd probably ask about the seller if they weren't the Tactical versions.

Raised button, flush button, I have both and prefer the flush, but could do just fine if raised was the only option available. Some bring up the ability to tail stand, but while I like the option should I ever find myself wanting it, I never use it.

Hard to go wrong at the lower price and if you find yourself not liking it for any reason, you'll have gotten into it cheaply enough that it's worth taking a shot at it.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

You've already got some great answers but more opinions can't hurt, right?

I also recently bought my first HDS. I went with a standard Executive Rotary with 200lm 219b and flush button. I wouldn't change a thing. A few thoughts:

* Yes 4000K is a bit warm but I like warm and I knew what I was buying. I've even got other lights with the same emitter in it already. You may not have that luxury. If you don't, you can expect a very warm, sorta tannish tinted light with zero "off-colors" either in the spot or spill. Just a very clean, pleasing sort of light (as long as you don't hate warmish tints). Its a personal choice, like everything else, but the Nichia 219b SW40 is a fantastic emitter. I personally don't see the appeal of the XP-G2 in this form factor at all. Its only real benefit is increased throw and I don't like throwy edc lights unless they have something else to offer, and the XP-G2 doesn't offer me anything I want. The XP-L offers more flood, which to me is a good thing in an edc light, but when forced to choose higher CRI and warmer tint vs more floody output, the 219b wins.

* The Rotary UI is simply sublime. Its honestly just about perfect. I own a lot of lights, about 100 really, and many of them have funky UIs. That's sort of my thing - I like lights that require a Ham Radio license to operate (gotta practice that morse code...). None of them have a UI that approaches the Rotary's balance of usability and capability. Its unmatched, in my experience, and its what makes the light. And while I've never actually used a Tactical Rotary myself, I don't see its features as being better than the Executive Rotary. Again a personal choice but I don't need that sort of access to strobe and would much rather have the extra granularity in the controls.

* The flush button is great - its recessed enough to avoid accidental activation but still very easy to operate. I'm sure a raised button is better for some, it definitely would be with gloves on, but I have no regrets going with the flat button.

* You didn't mention it, but I chose Cerakote for mine. I just wanted something not-black. I don't regret it, but its not as hard of a finish as anodizing, so i do find myself being much more careful with this light than I have been with some others. And that's kind of a shame because this thing is built to take a beating and still work perfectly. But I want it to look as good as it works.

* One surprise to me is how focused the HDS lights are. Honestly that's how they get away with being such low output but still being very usable. There's very little spill - all of the intensity is in the hotspot. I was afraid 200 lm wouldn't be enough light since I normally carry 1000ish lm Zebralights. It is enough light, 95% of the time. If I'm honest I've missed my super-high-output lights once or twice since I've had my HDS but not often enough to switch back on a daily basis. The Rotary UI is easily worth the trade-off. But the day that Henry offers a 500+lm 80+CRI light with a bit more floody beam pattern is the day I order my second HDS. And it'll be an Executive Rotary with a flush button.

I do have one regret about my HDS purchase -- I spent the $54 for the universal clip. Its a fine clip and very well made, so its probably worth the money, but I couldn't get past the aesthetics. To put it bluntly, that thing is damn ugly. Plus it scratched my light and it makes the Rotary mechanism harder to operate. I know there are forum members here who like it and that's great for them, but I could never recommend it to anyone. I took it back off, replaced it with a Moddoo clip and never looked back. Its been my EDC light for a few months now. I still have my other lights and still enjoy tinkering with them, but in the morning when I put my pants on, this is the light I clip to my pocket.

I'll finish with a couple of pictures of my light, just cause I love looking at it

First, the light as I received it with its universal clip attached:

And as its currently outfitted, with a TiN bezel (looks great, plus is much more wear resistant) and Moddoo clip:

Last edited by emarkd; 05-01-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by usdiver View Post
    Don't lose hope. Hell I ve been waiting since April last year! When you get it you WILL be happy.
    My picks after 7 or 8 HDS lights

Executive Rotary: 24 modes is more flexible than 12 Tactical....do you need "tactical?"
    Flush Button: Tailstand possible....like Pete says either will work but flush button +1.
    No Clip: Overpriced...I could go on. Skip This.

Also like Pete said as well as others above. The descriptions on the 170 vs. 200 sound on point. (Although I have yet to get the 200 but there are a lot of previous posts on this one including beam shots to compare...) If you want to save the $$ then you will not go wrong with the 170 and I have to say that light is pure white cream beam....I like warm stuff a lot and am looking forward to the 200.....where is a used one BTW fellas???? I would buy the 200 but I already own Pete's old 170n Clicky....perfection....
    Godbless

Hey earmarkdt... Did the cerakote bezel chip or something? I thought it looked great. Agreed about the uni clip. Good job finding a Moddoo and I assume thicker oring?

Hey earmarkdt... Did the cerakote bezel chip or something? I thought it looked great. Agreed about the uni clip. Good job finding a Moddoo and I assume thicker oring?
    No, its still in mint condition. I swapped it for the black because I thought the moddoo clip looked kinda out of place surrounded with all that brown. I like the black/brown color scheme going on now. Plus this way my matching cerakoted bezel will stay mint.

Yeah the moddoo clip took a few weeks to find, but I'm really glad I found it. Its a great clip. And yes I had to fit a thicker oring in front of the lens. Luckily I've got lots of spare parts around here and just happened to have one that fits well.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    No, its still in mint condition. I swapped it for the black because I thought the moddoo clip looked kinda out of place surrounded with all that brown. I like the black/brown color scheme going on now. Plus this way my matching cerakoted bezel will stay mint.

Yeah the moddoo clip took a few weeks to find, but I'm really glad I found it. Its a great clip. And yes I had to fit a thicker oring in front of the lens. Luckily I've got lots of spare parts around here and just happened to have one that fits well.
    Very thoughtful to future buyer! I've never considered getting cerakote but if I ever did I would want mint.

Very thoughtful to future buyer! I've never considered getting cerakote but if I ever did I would want mint.
    Let me tell you, the CeraKote doesn't stay mint for long. It chips almost instantly and doesn't stand up to any abuse or even normal carry for that matter. Had I known this I'd definitely chosen to go with an all black model.

Page 3 of 151 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast