RMSK, Inc.        
Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 12345678910111454104 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

My trusty old 120 executive has developed a switch issue where every once in a while the switch will become unresponsive. I can hear the click so I know it is depressed all the way but the light does nothing. After a few clicks it will start working again. Has anybody else experienced this issue before? Is it worth sending it in for repair?
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Insulator--you've received a lot of good advice here. As a couple have implied, I think you should think hard about whether you want the tactical interface, even if the price is a relative bargain. When I thought about it for myself, I couldn't imagine preferring it over the standard UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    My trusty old 120 executive has developed a switch issue where every once in a while the switch will become unresponsive. I can hear the click so I know it is depressed all the way but the light does nothing. After a few clicks it will start working again. Has anybody else experienced this issue before? Is it worth sending it in for repair?
    Clean the tip of the signal wire and its contact area inside the head. I had some intermittent switch issues like this a long time ago, it turned out to be grease contamination in those areas. I cleaned with isopropanol and haven't had issues since.

For some reason these days, factory HDS lights come slathered in grease and it doesn't impact the signal. I was using Nyogel and perhaps that has different conductive properties than the factory HDS grease.

Enlightened Insulator Collector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Light View Post
    Insulator--you've received a lot of good advice here. As a couple have implied, I think you should think hard about whether you want the tactical interface, even if the price is a relative bargain. When I thought about it for myself, I couldn't imagine preferring it over the standard UI.
    F89, Kaich Dento, emarkd, Trip Miller, Hoosier Light...

... Thank you all!

You each provided excellent, well-thought feedback to my query about the ideal features on an HDS Rotary. Here is the direction I've decided to take...

I'm convinced the tactical UI isn't for me. If I must blind bad guys, I'll grab the Pelican 7060 inside my front door. Or the Zebralight on the night stand. Or the Nitecore in the kitchen. Or the Fenix in the bathroom. Or...

Expensive pocket clip? Nope. When I read the installation instructions, I thought it might hinder the rotary function. You all confirmed that (and I agree it's not pretty). I'll get a nice leather holster instead.

I'll also go for the 200 lumen Hi CRI Nichia 219B emitter (and pass on the sale-priced 170 lumen unit). I need Hi CRI for my insulator collecting hobby, where subtle color differences can have a huge price impact.

Finally (since I must order custom from HDS anyway) I'll get the flush tail cap. I like a light that tail stands.

With those options dialed in, just two more choices stand between me and my order...

Lens Material: Glass or Sapphire? A little searching on this forum answered that one! Sapphire makes good bragging rights, but offers negligible added protection. I'll pass.

Reflectors: I'm genuinely torn between standard and flood. I don't want to sacrifice good throw. But some beamshots way back in this thread have me re-thinking that. The flood illuminates immediate surroundings SO well! Hmmm...

... Which reflector would YOU guys choose for EDC?

Once I decide on a reflector, I'm placing my order. Are HDS custom orders taking long to ship these days? Will I be camping for weeks by the mailbox?

Thanks again!

flood reflector for me on the flight deck at night!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insulator Collector View Post
    F89, Kaich Dento, emarkd, Trip Miller, Hoosier Light...

... Thank you all!

You each provided excellent, well-thought feedback to my query about the ideal features on an HDS Rotary. Here is the direction I've decided to take...

I'm convinced the tactical UI isn't for me. If I must blind bad guys, I'll grab the Pelican 7060 inside my front door. Or the Zebralight on the night stand. Or the Nitecore in the kitchen. Or the Fenix in the bathroom. Or...

Expensive pocket clip? Nope. When I read the installation instructions, I thought it might hinder the rotary function. You all confirmed that (and I agree it's not pretty). I'll get a nice leather holster instead.

I'll also go for the 200 lumen Hi CRI Nichia 219B emitter (and pass on the sale-priced 170 lumen unit). I need Hi CRI for my insulator collecting hobby, where subtle color differences can have a huge price impact.

Finally (since I must order custom from HDS anyway) I'll get the flush tail cap. I like a light that tail stands.

With those options dialed in, just two more choices stand between me and my order...

Lens Material: Glass or Sapphire? A little searching on this forum answered that one! Sapphire makes good bragging rights, but offers negligible added protection. I'll pass.

Reflectors: I'm genuinely torn between standard and flood. I don't want to sacrifice good throw. But some beamshots way back in this thread have me re-thinking that. The flood illuminates immediate surroundings SO well! Hmmm...

... Which reflector would YOU guys choose for EDC?

Once I decide on a reflector, I'm placing my order. Are HDS custom orders taking long to ship these days? Will I be camping for weeks by the mailbox?

Thanks again!
    Custom Built

Default HDS Systems EDC # 19

Does your tail cap have the white plastic disc under the rubber boot? I've found sometimes the nub on the rubber boot can wear with a slight slant, making the boot feel like it clicked, but not actually pushing the white button on the battery tube. The white disc Henry added helps. I have an older legacy light that didn't come with the white disc, so I made a poorly cut one out of a store rewards card. An old gift card will work as well. This gives a more reliable click.

Last edited by Slumber Pass; 05-02-2016 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    flood reflector for me on the flight deck at night!.
    I'd recommend the standard reflector as it has a pretty balanced beam with decent flood and throw which makes it a good all-rounder. The flood reflector makes it a pretty niche type light excelling close up and indoors etc but not a very good all-rounder.
    I'd definitely buy a spare standard reflector to swap out if you go with the flood.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Does your tail cap have the white plastic disc under the rubber boot? I've found sometimes the nub on the rubber boot can wear with a slight slant, making the boot feel like it clicked, but not actually pushing the white button on the battery tube. The white disc Henry added helps. I have an older legacy light that didn't come with the white disc, so I made a poorly cut one out of a store rewards card. An old gift card will work as well. This gives a more reliable click.
    Yeah mine has the disc. I've even tried operating it with the tailcap off and making sure I press the switch all the way until it clicks and it still sometimes doesn't work.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Flashaholic*

I would buy both reflectors. Once you know what your doing it takes about 3 minutes to swap them out.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    I would buy both reflectors. Once you know what your doing it takes about 3 minutes to swap them out.
    That's one way to go.

I have the smooth reflector and use CPF's favorite diffuser; a water bottle cap. I used the cap trick in one of the labs at work last week. It worked like a charm.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Another option is a product called DC Fix. Its a self-adhesive glass film that's really quite popular so you may have already heard of it. It diffuses the beam and makes it much floodier, but not quite pure flood like HDSs flood "reflector". I think I read once that it costs you about 4-5% light loss, but that's probably much less than something like the bottle cap. Its not as easy to apply and remove though, obviously.

Also, with the standard reflector you can use a Surefire F04 diffuser for close-up applications. It is hex-shaped and prevents rolling, and it pops right off when you want the standard beam.
    Last edited by troutpool; 05-02-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdboy View Post
    Let me tell you, the CeraKote doesn't stay mint for long. It chips almost instantly and doesn't stand up to any abuse or even normal carry for that matter. Had I known this I'd definitely chosen to go with an all black model.
    Thanks. That's a great tip.

I must be one of the only people who actually likes the worn look of the cerakote. That's why I decided to get a Hi CRI in Orange cerakote....Henry is offering orange as a $20 upgrade due to them being blems. I'm cool with that!

Yeah mine has the disc. I've even tried operating it with the tailcap off and making sure I press the switch all the way until it clicks and it still sometimes doesn't work.
    I'd try cleaning the threads and the signal wire, along with the outer ring on the board that contacts the signal wire. If not, give Henry a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Another option is a product called DC Fix. Its a self-adhesive glass film that's really quite popular so you may have already heard of it. It diffuses the beam and makes it much floodier, but not quite pure flood like HDSs flood "reflector". I think I read once that it costs you about 4-5% light loss, but that's probably much less than something like the bottle cap. Its not as easy to apply and remove though, obviously.
    I like the DC Fix diffusion film, and it can be VERY removable. I stick it to a sheet of overhead projector transparency first, then cut my circle. For less-easy access, it can then be trapped under the bezel. For quick on/off, I trim it to just wedge inside the bezel from the front. Either leave a little tab at one edge to pluck it out by, or grab it with a piece of tape. Can be stored in your wallet in a card holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I like the DC Fix diffusion film, and it can be VERY removable. I stick it to a sheet of overhead projector transparency first
    Hey, that's very clever. I also like the DC Fix film on certain types of lights but I've always just left it on there. Not sure why I've never done anything like you suggest. It does remind me of my teenage years when we used to share a season's parking pass to the local theme park by applying it to some static cling vinyl instead of directly to our windshields. I may have to hunt some up and cut some DC Fix for my HDS. It could definitely stand to be a bit floodier for my tastes.

I have only used the dc fix on a maglite so I don't know how it would look on LED.
    At least I already have some spare so I will be able to use it on mine.

Reading that others have been getting their lights I am getting excited.
    I keep wanting to check the mail twice a day, even on weekends and holidays, and all throughout May.
    if you get the reference.
    The darkness is not my enemy, it is just where they hide: my fears, the unknown, and those that would do harm fear the light. I must always carry it with me to dispel the darkness and reveal the truth...

Enlightened Insulator Collector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I'd recommend the standard reflector as it has a pretty balanced beam with decent flood and throw which makes it a good all-rounder. The flood reflector makes it a pretty niche type light excelling close up and indoors etc but not a very good all-rounder.
    I'd definitely buy a spare standard reflector to swap out if you go with the flood.
    Once again, thanks to everyone who offered opinions about the best all-around reflector for my (soon to be ordered) HDS Rotary. The advice quoted above really nails this for me. I'll get the standard reflector and attach a diffuser if I want quick conversion to flood. I appreciate everyone's willingness to share advice on this forum.

HDS rotary HI CRI 200lm , very nice usable beam/spill and find 2/3's on the rotary is more than enough for general tasks/uses

6p Incan to compare

Malkoff 4000k neutral drop in
    Last edited by ven; 05-02-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LedTed View Post
    That's one way to go.

I have the smooth reflector and use CPF's favorite diffuser; a water bottle cap. I used the cap trick in one of the labs at work last week. It worked like a charm.
    I agree it does work well however you have to be careful not to knock it off the bezel unless you tape it on.

Factoring the cost of shipping to order the reflector by itself after the fact is mighty spendy.

If he doesn't care for the flood reflector or doesn't think its price justifies its cost he could easily sell it for full price because he could ship it first class and that would be a few bucks in the USA & there's a lot of people whom want to try/own the reflector but don't want to spend the high freight cost to order just the reflector from Henry.
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

I like the Malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by Insulator Collector View Post
    Once again, thanks to everyone who offered opinions about the best all-around reflector for my (soon to be ordered) HDS Rotary. The advice quoted above really nails this for me. I'll get the standard reflector and attach a diffuser if I want quick conversion to flood. I appreciate everyone's willingness to share advice on this forum.
    You're welcome.
    I actually use a cheap Nitecore diffuser on my Hyper Red that I attached to the light by making a small hole in the diffuser body and tied a bit of thin para cord between it and the pocket clip (clicky). It's not pretty but it's a work light and keeps the diffuser from ultimately getting lost when changing from spot to flood.
    I like the sound of the Surefire F04 better as far as EDC goes.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I like the Malkoff
    The malkoff is good but it's also running about 1.5A using an XPG2.
    Also the tint isn't as nice, both around 4000K perhaps but the tint and CRI of the nichia are much nicer in person.
    The malkoff is brighter though.

Oh for a 1.5 amp HDS!

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Oh for a 1.5 amp HDS!
    Ha ha yeah I've heard that before.
    I actually like conservative drive currents on lights like HDS, can't remember what level my "high" is set to but it's a noticeable step down from max of which max is seldom used to conserve battery.
    Now if you were to use the 18650 tube then that's another story.
    What would be nice is a 4500 to 5000K XPG2 instead of the cool white. With the currrent HDS LED offerings I'd choose Nichia every time.

The thing about high drive currents in programmable lights like the HDS is that when they're there it gives everybody what they want. Nobody has to use the highest settings. You can keep it economical if you want, but I could drive the hell out of it if I wanted. Options are a good thing.

So yeah, I'm with recdna. I love my HDS but gimme moar powa!!

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    The thing about high drive currents in programmable lights like the HDS is that when they're there it gives everybody what they want. Nobody has to use the highest settings. You can keep it economical if you want, but I could drive the hell out of it if I wanted. Options are a good thing.

So yeah, I'm with recdna. I love my HDS but gimme moar powa!!
    That's where other lights come in.
    I'm glad the max drive current isn't any higher programmable or not.
    HDS are specifically designed for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    That's where other lights come in.
    I'm glad the max drive current isn't any higher programmable or not.
    HDS are specifically designed for a reason.
    It's not where other lights come in. I've got plenty of other lights, about 100 of them, but nothing out there offers the ease of use and great UI that comes from the HDS Rotary. Believe me, if someone offered something like this but with more power, I'd be all over it. Nobody does.

You're right, HDS lights are specifically designed a certain way for a reason. I even understand it. Henry's priority is for battery life and reliability over high output. "The light that gets you home." That's fine, and if I couldn't live with that I never would've bought one. But there's a certain element of hand-holding about that idea that does bother me. I'd rather make some of my own choices to go bigger when I want.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LedTed View Post
    The following picture shows the beam of the the smooth reflector on my new 325 Rotary. The beam has many rings and a horribly square corona.
    So what happened here? Is this typical?

Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 12345678910111454104 ... LastLast