NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 19

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 19

No way that's typical.

Quote Originally Posted by trojansteel View Post
    So what happened here? Is this typical?
    HDS Tactical Rotary, HDS Rotary, HDS HCRI 200 Rotary, HDS Hunter Red Rotary, HDS Forensic Blue Rotary, HDS Green Rotary.

I don't even see what is wrong in that picture. My 170n has obvious rings I don't see in that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I don't even see what is wrong in that picture. My 170n has obvious rings I don't see in that picture.
    When I first looked at that photo it was on my tablet and the terrible beam was very clear, I then looked at it later on a laptop and I couldn't see the detail so much and didn't look too bad. Perhaps it's this?
    I have a 170N with a mild ring toward the perimeter, a complete non issue but that smooth XPL looks terrible in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    It's not where other lights come in. I've got plenty of other lights, about 100 of them, but nothing out there offers the ease of use and great UI that comes from the HDS Rotary. Believe me, if someone offered something like this but with more power, I'd be all over it. Nobody does.

You're right, HDS lights are specifically designed a certain way for a reason. I even understand it. Henry's priority is for battery life and reliability over high output. "The light that gets you home." That's fine, and if I couldn't live with that I never would've bought one. But there's a certain element of hand-holding about that idea that does bother me. I'd rather make some of my own choices to go bigger when I want.
    To get more power out of a HDS would require a complete design change which would increase the size and possibly also change the design of form factor.
    Even a boost of 50% to approx 1.5A would be hardly worth it for the trade offs. Sounds like you want 3A or more which could happen using the 18650 tube for very short bursts I guess?
    To sustain and make use of more power would require more mass, greater size and a larger reflector.
    I'm sure many would like to see such a light from HDS but it would be a completely different light form wise and come from a different design perspective that created the HDS lights people love today.
    Very much where other lights come in.
    How about a Zebralight? People seem to like them. I personally use a custom 6P with triple 4500K XPE2 custom driven P60 built by Tana which while maybe not having HDS rotary or clicky interface has a great level of programmability and multiple banks. By the way its max drive current is 4.5A if I ever get cold hands.
    Back to HDS though, I really like the design philosophy and find that it lights up bright (or dim) enough for at least 80% of my needs.

How do you like this setup with the Moodoo Clip up front? I have thought about doing the same thing with My rotary, but was worried about water getting in around there. Curious to hear your thoughts. Love your Light BTW. Used to have a clicky 170 way back in the same color.

You've already got some great answers but more opinions can't hurt, right?

I also recently bought my first HDS. I went with a standard Executive Rotary with 200lm 219b and flush button. I wouldn't change a thing. A few thoughts:

* Yes 4000K is a bit warm but I like warm and I knew what I was buying. I've even got other lights with the same emitter in it already. You may not have that luxury. If you don't, you can expect a very warm, sorta tannish tinted light with zero "off-colors" either in the spot or spill. Just a very clean, pleasing sort of light (as long as you don't hate warmish tints). Its a personal choice, like everything else, but the Nichia 219b SW40 is a fantastic emitter. I personally don't see the appeal of the XP-G2 in this form factor at all. Its only real benefit is increased throw and I don't like throwy edc lights unless they have something else to offer, and the XP-G2 doesn't offer me anything I want. The XP-L offers more flood, which to me is a good thing in an edc light, but when forced to choose higher CRI and warmer tint vs more floody output, the 219b wins.

* The Rotary UI is simply sublime. Its honestly just about perfect. I own a lot of lights, about 100 really, and many of them have funky UIs. That's sort of my thing - I like lights that require a Ham Radio license to operate (gotta practice that morse code...). None of them have a UI that approaches the Rotary's balance of usability and capability. Its unmatched, in my experience, and its what makes the light. And while I've never actually used a Tactical Rotary myself, I don't see its features as being better than the Executive Rotary. Again a personal choice but I don't need that sort of access to strobe and would much rather have the extra granularity in the controls.

* The flush button is great - its recessed enough to avoid accidental activation but still very easy to operate. I'm sure a raised button is better for some, it definitely would be with gloves on, but I have no regrets going with the flat button.

* You didn't mention it, but I chose Cerakote for mine. I just wanted something not-black. I don't regret it, but its not as hard of a finish as anodizing, so i do find myself being much more careful with this light than I have been with some others. And that's kind of a shame because this thing is built to take a beating and still work perfectly. But I want it to look as good as it works.

* One surprise to me is how focused the HDS lights are. Honestly that's how they get away with being such low output but still being very usable. There's very little spill - all of the intensity is in the hotspot. I was afraid 200 lm wouldn't be enough light since I normally carry 1000ish lm Zebralights. It is enough light, 95% of the time. If I'm honest I've missed my super-high-output lights once or twice since I've had my HDS but not often enough to switch back on a daily basis. The Rotary UI is easily worth the trade-off. But the day that Henry offers a 500+lm 80+CRI light with a bit more floody beam pattern is the day I order my second HDS. And it'll be an Executive Rotary with a flush button.

I do have one regret about my HDS purchase -- I spent the $54 for the universal clip. Its a fine clip and very well made, so its probably worth the money, but I couldn't get past the aesthetics. To put it bluntly, that thing is damn ugly. Plus it scratched my light and it makes the Rotary mechanism harder to operate. I know there are forum members here who like it and that's great for them, but I could never recommend it to anyone. I took it back off, replaced it with a Moddoo clip and never looked back. Its been my EDC light for a few months now. I still have my other lights and still enjoy tinkering with them, but in the morning when I put my pants on, this is the light I clip to my pocket.

I'll finish with a couple of pictures of my light, just cause I love looking at it

First, the light as I received it with its universal clip attached:

And as its currently outfitted, with a TiN bezel (looks great, plus is much more wear resistant) and Moddoo clip:

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    To get more power out of a HDS would require a complete design change which would increase the size and possibly also change the design of form factor.
    Even a boost of 50% to approx 1.5A would be hardly worth it for the trade offs. Sounds like you want 3A or more which could happen using the 18650 tube for very short bursts I guess?
    To sustain and make use of more power would require more mass, greater size and a larger reflector.
    Not true. I've got lights that pull 4+ amps from 16340 cells. Obviously they don't do that on primaries but they do still function perfectly well with standard CR123s in there. Of course they can only do that for short periods of time but it can be done, and sometimes having tons of light for a short period is a valuable thing. Plus, like I've said over and over, those same lights on lower settings will run for days with no heat issues. Choice is a good thing, and having all the choices in one light is a great thing.

How about a Zebralight? People seem to like them.
    I have 11 Zebralights. They're great, really solid lights and offer the range of output I've been talking about, so its a fine suggestion and I appreciate it. However, like I said earlier, there's just nothing out there that can touch the usability of the HDS Rotary. At this point in time, for me, having the HDS Rotary UI is worth the lower output.

find that it lights up bright (or dim) enough for at least 80% of my needs.
    On that we can easily agree. I'd probably say more like 95% of my needs are met by my HDS Rotary. If they weren't I wouldn't be carrying it so often. But a part of me wants that last 5%....

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    How do you like this setup with the Moodoo Clip up front? I have thought about doing the same thing with My rotary, but was worried about water getting in around there. Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Thank you, I love this setup. I didn't think I'd like carrying reflector-up and it did take a bit of getting used to, but its fine and is really probably the best way for this light. I don't see any way that water could get in around where the clip is attached because the o-rings in that area are still seated properly and not displaced by the clip. Near the lens is another matter. The thickness of the clip means that the bezel doesn't quite tighten up as much against the lens and would leave it susceptible to water intrusion without a thicker o-ring. So that's what I did - replaced the original o-ring at the lens with a thicker one in the same diameter. Works great, no issues. And the light must still be very waterproof because I've had it wet plenty of times without issue. I tend to wash it off in the sink a few times a week since this bezel-up carrying arrangement means the lens gets very dirty and I've never seen any sign of water inside.

Not true. I've got lights that pull 4+ amps from 16340 cells. Obviously they don't do that on primaries but they do still function perfectly well with standard CR123s in there. Of course they can only do that for short periods of time but it can be done, and sometimes having tons of light for a short period is a valuable thing. Plus, like I've said over and over, those same lights on lower settings will run for days with no heat issues. Choice is a good thing, and having all the choices in one light is a great thing.
    Sure it can be done with a small light pushing 4A out of a 16340 IMR but lights like that have super short run times and can only be run for short bursts at that amperage and get super hot and possibly short lived compared to a more sensible current. My point covered a greater area than just that though and I find lights like that pretty useless. That's where a light like my triple 6P comes in for tons of light for a short period but with more suitable mass and battery power behind it.
    Henry doesn't want to hold our hands, limit our choices or make them for us. He simply wants to design a rugged, reliable, compact, versatile, efficient and effective light of which he has succeeded in doing so.
    If he designs what you're after I'm sure it may be a hit with some here at CPF but it's a safe guess he won't do that.
    It's been talked about many times on CPF and the one and only perfect light just doesn't exist and if it did it might turn out like the car Homer Simpson designed?
    As you said though, your HDS illuminates well enough for 95% of what you need. Your light looks great and I'm glad you're enjoying it.
    Last edited by F89; 05-02-2016 at 09:43 PM.

If you want full customizability of drive currents up to dangerous levels and lower than 0.01 lumens with a rotary interface... well it will cost you some big $ and it may not be the battery configuration you are wanting.
    When I want more light than 200 lumens it is for one reason only and that is throw.
    The darkness is not my enemy, it is just where they hide: my fears, the unknown, and those that would do harm fear the light. I must always carry it with me to dispel the darkness and reveal the truth...

I noticed something peculiar today while playing around with my new HI CRI tactical rotary. I was hoping someone could replicate it or provide some feedback.

The rotary knob was in the 12 o'clock position (max brightness) and when I pressed and held the button the light got brighter. I didn't expect this since the 12 o'clock knob position is supposed to already be max brightness. I thought it might have something to do with having a used battery so I swapped it for a fresh one and it still behaves he same way. It's almost as if the 12 o'clock position is 95% brightness. Anyone else experience this? It's not really an issue I'm just curious.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by calypso699 View Post
    I noticed something peculiar today while playing around with my new HI CRI tactical rotary. I was hoping someone could replicate it or provide some feedback.

The rotary knob was in the 12 o'clock position (max brightness) and when I pressed and held the button the light got brighter. I didn't expect this since the 12 o'clock knob position is supposed to already be max brightness. I thought it might have something to do with having a used battery so I swapped it for a fresh one and it still behaves he same way. It's almost as if the 12 o'clock position is 95% brightness. Anyone else experience this? It's not really an issue I'm just curious.
    Maybe you have burst turned on or somehow programmed the rotary setting to max on setting 23?
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

I'm sure many would like to see such a light from HDS but it would be a completely different light form wise and come from a different design perspective that created the HDS lights people love today.
    Very much where other lights come in.
    How about a Zebralight? People seem to like them. I personally use a custom 6P with triple 4500K XPE2 custom driven P60 built by Tana which while maybe not having HDS rotary or clicky interface has a great level of programmability and multiple banks. By the way its max drive current is 4.5A if I ever get cold hands.
    Back to HDS though, I really like the design philosophy and find that it lights up bright (or dim) enough for at least 80% of my needs.
    Sorry but no I do not want 3 amps. You cannot safely run primary that high. With temperature control already built in I don't believe any major design change would be needed for 1.5 amps. I have no interest in an 18650. I have owned many 1 X CR123A flashlights including hosts with drop ins and no voltage nor temperature control with no issues at all. At 1.5 amps I think you can get about 300 lumens from Nichia 219b or almost 400 from XP-G2. I wouldn't expect to run at 1.5 amps forever. Obviously output would drop as temperature rises but many times I want a little extra umph, especially from a floody flashlight like the HDS.

Mind you I know it isn't going to happen. I just don't believe it would require any major change in mechanics, electronics, nor reliability. Call it a turbo mode if you like and only measure runtime at 1 amp (high). Make it hidden so only fanatics can access it turning it on with 20 clicks or something. Don't tell the long time fans who are proud their flashlights are underpowered.
    Of course it is all moot because it will never happen but I would love it if it did.

BTW, I have a ZL sc32w but won't use it with primary because it draws TOO much current (over 2 amps)
    Last edited by recDNA; 05-03-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Sorry but no I do not want 3 amps. You cannot safely run primary that high. With temperature control already built in I don't believe any major design change would be needed for 1.5 amps. I have no interest in an 18650. I have owned many 1 X CR123A flashlights including hosts with drop ins and no voltage nor temperature control with no issues at all. At 1.5 amps I think you can get about 300 lumens from Nichia 219b or almost 400 from XP-G2. I wouldn't expect to run at 1.5 amps forever. Obviously output would drop as temperature rises but many times I want a little extra umph, especially from a floody flashlight like the HDS.

Mind you I know it isn't going to happen. I just don't believe it would require any major change in mechanics, electronics, nor reliability. Call it a turbo mode if you like and only measure runtime at 1 amp (high). Make it hidden so only fanatics can access it turning it on with 20 clicks or something. Don't tell the long time fans who are proud their flashlights are underpowered.
    Of course it is all moot because it will never happen but I would love it if it did.

BTW, I have a ZL sc32w but won't use it with primary because it draws TOO much current (over 2 amps)
    Hi recDNA,

My response wasn't directed at you.
    You're right about 1.5A not requiring a lot of changes, I didn't say it would as I was mainly referring to large increases which I should have made more clear.
    1.5A would not be worth the trade offs, when I said this I was referring to the light maintaing its original form with just a current boost. It wouldn't be great on a CR123 and heat would become an issue for anything greater than short periods among other shortcomings. As you noted thermal regulation would also kick in making all the effort and extra battery drain not quite worth it for a short squirt of a few extra lumens out the front.
    Not a lot more to add on what has already been noted on that subject I think. Bottom line is HDS is what it is for a reason and like you said it's not going to happen but unlike you I'm glad.
    I'm sure we've all got another light handy when we really need to light things up.
    Last edited by F89; 05-03-2016 at 08:42 AM.

Not worth it to you. Definitely worth it to me. That is why it should be a mode one can turn on or off. You don't want it? Don't turn it on like that option in current models for high output to drop after a minute or something (burst) ... But in reverse! Still a great flashlight. Don't get me wrong. My last post on the issue so please don't chide me for my temerity!

It's funny. In the Zebralight forum I am too conservative because I think current models are overpowered but in this forum I am a wild eyed lumen maniac! LOL
    Last edited by recDNA; 05-03-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Not worth it to you. Definitely worth it to me. That is why it should be a mode one can turn on or off. You don't want it? Don't turn it on like that option in current models for high output to drop after a minute or something (burst) ... But in reverse! Still a great flashlight. Don't get me wrong. My last post on the issue so please don't chide me for my temerity!

It's funny. In the Zebralight forum I am too conservative because I think current models are overpowered but in this forum I am a wild eyed lumen maniac! LOL
    Ha ha, I'm sure you're not the only maniac on the HDS forum in that sense.
    I guess my point overall is that extra power wouldn't really work with the current HDS platform without some compromise to what makes it such a great design if that makes sense?
    Anyway, I think at this point we can all agree that we are content with our HDS lights.

I've been many things in my life. One thing I have never been is content.

Lol.

I've been many things in my life. One thing I have never been is content.
    HDS Tactical Rotary, HDS Rotary, HDS HCRI 200 Rotary, HDS Hunter Red Rotary, HDS Forensic Blue Rotary, HDS Green Rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    Maybe you have burst turned on or somehow programmed the rotary setting to max on setting 23?
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's entirely possible. I'll do a reset and see what happens. Thanks!

FYI as an update for those considering lead times - just about two weeks later, got my tracking # from HDS. First HDS light is inbound!

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    FYI as an update for those considering lead times - just about two weeks later, got my tracking # from HDS. First HDS light is inbound!
    Rotary or clicky?

Hi hey you know the normal reflector in the hds lights, is it a narrow optic / reflector as in an all rounder with some good throw ?.
    i mean compared to a say medium frosted optic would it be more like that ?, or more of a narrow optic beam?.

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    Hi hey you know the normal reflector in the hds lights, is it a narrow optic / reflector as in an all rounder with some good throw ?.
    i mean compared to a say medium frosted optic would it be more like that ?, or more of a narrow optic beam?.
    It's nothing like a frosted optic. It's a pretty deep reflector, usually op but apparently some of the tactical lights come with smooth. It's "throwiness" is also defined by the emitter choice. Small emitters like the xp-g2 or 219b will result in mostly throw with little spill. Larger emitters like xp-l will give a broader beam with more spill. But really, all HDS lights are pretty throwy.

We had a conversation a couple of days ago about diffusers for these lights. I suggested DC Fix film and Hondo chimed in and said he puts his film on overhead transparency material first, which I thought was a great idea. I haven't managed to procure any overhead transparency sheets or other static cling material yet, but I thought I'd try just plain 'ole Saran Wrap like most of us probably have in our kitchen. So here's what I did.

First, I laid a bit of Saran Wrap out on my kitchen counters as smoothly as I could and stuck a square of DC Fix right in the flattest spot.

Then I laid my HDS's bezel upside down on the square to use as a template.

After tracing and cutting around the resulting circle, I'm left with a small circle of DC Fix, stuck to clingy Saran Wrap. It'll easily stick to my kitchen windows.

With the light reassembled, it just lays right in.

It seems to stick very well and doesn't fall out on its own. I can't get it out by hand at all, not even with my fingernails. I have to take the point of a knife along the edge to pop it up out of there. Time will tell, but I think it'll hold up quite well.

So here's the results. I took two whitewall beamshots at pretty close range, probably 1.5 meters or so with camera on full manual, so no funky exposure tricks. My light is the HCri200, by the way, so this is with a Nichia 219b emitter. First, without the film:

And with it:

And here's two "real world" beamshots made in my kids' playroom at about 4 meters from the wall. Again the camera was on full manual but it kinda overexposed the first shot here. I should've taken a bit more time with it, set up a tripod, etc, but I didn't. Hopefully its still illustrative of the difference.

First without the film:

And with the film:

In addition, I put the light to my homemade "Integrating Amazon Box" and found about a 10% reduction in output -- 222 lumens without the film, 197 with. As should be expected, however, it feels like a bigger drop since the light is more diffused. I'd be very interested to see how this compares with HDS's official floody "reflector" but I don't have one. I assume it would have zero output drop since the lens would remain clear but, as I understand it, the resulting beam is basically pure flood, like a mule -- no hotspot left to speak of, so it may feel even weaker in that configuration.

I really like the beam that results from using the DC Fix on a focused light like this HDS and have done it several times in the past, but it does leave this light feeling a bit anemic if I'm honest. But then as I've clearly demonstrated over the past couple pages of comments, I'm one of those sorts who does appreciate a bit of extra ooomph from his lights. This is still a very usable light source for most edc-type tasks, with or without the film.
    Last edited by emarkd; 05-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Great idea. Great execution. Great write up. Great post.

Great work! I was thinking when you cut the template perhaps leave about 5mm and cut up and around then fold creating a tab making it easier to remove.

I wouldn't have thought of plastic wrap but it sounds like a good fix.
    I know that packing tape will static cling to most surfaces because I use it to put labels on boxes. I stick the tape to a wall with the sticky side out and I try to get someone else to touch the tape.
    I have some super clear tape so maybe I will try this if I can find any of my dc fix.

In other news I got a surprise in my email today, my custom rotary has shipped and should be here on Monday.
    I placed the order March 9 and it will be May 9, so exactly 2 months wait time for me.
    The darkness is not my enemy, it is just where they hide: my fears, the unknown, and those that would do harm fear the light. I must always carry it with me to dispel the darkness and reveal the truth...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by khoinguyen1407 View Post
    Hi,
    I've just got the HiCRI 200lm Rotary from HDS and have a problem:
    - When I set the minimum output, I heard a small sound like mosquito. Why the previous 200lm Rotary does not have a sound like HiCRI? Is the new one normal or abnormal?
    Thanks everyone
    I would call Henry and ask. I wouldn't be happy with it doing that without knowing what it is and then decide to live with it or not.
    Steve Bryant

Flashaholic*

Here's one for all you guys...
    Looking for the best light diffuser (cone) for HDS newer series lights as all the bezels are the same diameter. I ve heard Fenix does one but what do I need, model number and are there any better ones?

Thanks
    Steve Bryant

Hey does hogo Dan still sell/get involved with hds ?.
    thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by neutralwhite View Post
    Hey does hogo Dan still sell/get involved with hds ?.
    thanks.
    Yes he does. You still got my number or email???
    Steve Bryant

I have got it, it is smaller and lighter than I would have imagined.
    Programing took about an hour to figure out but now I have B set to rotary, C set to level 16, D set to SOS .
    Really it is not more complicated than a g-shock to figure out.

Here is a picture of my "patriotic" line up, The only flashlight I still keep around that is made out of the states is the Zebralight that is lighting up the picture.

After playing with the UI I could imagine using the clicky with 3 modes plus momentary set up. I set C to be level 16 because it is enough light to walk around outside, and the battery lasts days. On the unlikely chance I had to give my HDS to someone to use for a short time I would set it to that.
    On the other hand, I do have use for a tactical strobe when someone is chasing me in a game at night, it forces them to slow down because they can't see the ground.
    Maybe I will change the SOS to fast blinky with a triple click..

Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555105 ... LastLast