Arc4+ tested at 30+ Lumens by LSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighting Sciences in Scottsdale, AZ finished their testing of 2, Arc4+ production units. These production units tested in the middle of our +-5% spec. LSI then tested the units in their intergrating sphere and recorded 33 lumens at level 1 for both units. I will conservatively publish the Arc4+ as a "30 lumen light".

Peter

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow
30 lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I found the link for the previous tests:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=315059&page=94&view=collapsed&sb=4&o=&vc=1

The link may not work, so I will cut/paste the info as well:

Peter Said:

1x AWS-NAT: 3 Lumens / 9640 Kelvin
2x AWP-NAT: 3 Lumens / 6200-6900 Kelvin
2x LSL-P: 21-23 Lumens / 6770-7300 Kelvin
2x LSH: 14-17 Lumens / 5100-5400 Kelvin
5x LSH-P: 22-25 Lumens / 5300-5800 Kelvin
1x KL1: 19 Lumens / 5900 Kelvin
1x E2: 85 Lumens / 3300 Lelvin
1x L1: 26 Lumens / 6300 Lelvin
1x X5T: 13 Lumens / 8400 Kelvin
1x L4: 81 Lumens / 5300 Kelvin
Mag 2AA: 4-8 Lumens
Mag 2D: 25 Lumens
Solitaire: 2 Lumens

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Gransee,

Just out of curiosity, did LSI give you a color temperature reading as well, as they did with the lights in the earlier tests?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not this time around. I ordered simplified tests so the results would not take as long. Also, each unit is different in tint but not so much in brightness so the lumen values have more meaning.

Peter

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Peter. It occurred to me that the combination of tint control and brightness control might make any such numbers unpredictive for other specimens. Still, it'd be interesting to have a range across a few lights, even if it's just for level 1.

It would also be interesting to know the variance in color temperature across the 16 brightness levels to see how well the tint control works. Since there's no other light like this, though, the question is, compared to what? Sixteen separate, non-tint-controlled lights assembled individually to drive the same luxeon at the different levels? A stock light with tint control disabled?

As a matter of fact, how WOULD you test how well the tint control works? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

(No need to reply to this tangent unless it interests you. I'd rather have the Arc5 ten minutes earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the arc4, the brightness remains constant, with standard arc4s having a shorter runtime.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
notamchris said:

Peter Said:

[/ QUOTE ]

26 Lumens? Are we talking about the SureFire L1 Digital Lumamax? Doesn't SF quote something like 15 Lumens for this light?
From the SF L1 page:

Output/Runtime - High beam runtime approx. two hours with 15 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 50 hours

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Canuckle said:
[ QUOTE ]
notamchris said:

Peter Said:

[/ QUOTE ]

26 Lumens? Are we talking about the SureFire L1 Digital Lumamax? Doesn't SF quote something like 15 Lumens for this light?
From the SF L1 page:

Output/Runtime - High beam runtime approx. two hours with 15 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 50 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

SureFire is conservative in their lumens ratings--as is Arc. For example the E2e tested in Peter's first LSI test put out 80 something lumens! It is rated at around 55 lumens by SF. This is to account for the averaged output throughout the life of the batteries and also to have a margin of error in case of lamp variations and so on. Also it makes a nice contrast to the practices of certain *cough* unmentionable company(s) which grossly inflate their CP ratings.

Anyway. 33 lumens! That's awesome. I'm so looking forward to owning one of these. Relatively soon, I hope.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, any chance of getting level 2 and 3 tested as well. Since most people would get good runtime & brightness from level 3, I was curious what 3 and 2 would be brightness wise.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
So it would appear that the SF L1, tested at 26 Lumens by LSI (fresh 123A assumed), is in the same brightness league as the Premium LSH units, which are advertised as being tested to 22 - 26 (?) Lumens. Then again, the L1 is a regulated unit, so how much variation can I reasonably expect? Sure not 15 - 26 Lumens? That seems like an awful lot for a fully regulated unit.

Any L1 / LSH-P owners care to comment?

Would you then say that the 22 - 26 Lumen rating of the LSH-P is conservative, or does it attempt to reflect the best possible output?

That said, I am confident that any rating by either Arc or SureFire is easily attainable, and not just hype.

Cheers.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I got an LSH-P and an L1 for Christmas. The L1 has been sitting on the shelf. The LSH has become my EDC.

The L1 was not used because it was sooo much dimmer than my LSH and bigger too. Once I did the hi/low mod to the hroll switch spring there was no advantage to the L1.

Today I replaced the L1's LED with a Lux III that is binned SW0K. It now has almost exactly the same beam as my LSH-P, both in High and Low mode.

I still prefer the size of the ARC and the convenience of the kroll switch. Tomorrow I'll check to see which is drawing more current. I think they are about the same.

I expect that there was is much variance in the Surefire products as with any other luxeon based lights. Sometimes the manufacturers have to take what they can get to meet demand. Sometimes they buy too many of "Todays' Greatest and Latest" only to find that tomorrow's is better. It's bad business to junk the parts if people will buy them anyway.

On the other hand, sometimes they can't get the 15 lumen bin LED and have to buy 26 lumen units in order to fill orders. I always like it when that happens.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.