Arc 4+ is this normal???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microxot

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Arc4+ in the mail. I went to open it up to insert the battery. As I unscrewed the back, a medal disk fell out. The medal disk looks like it has spirals in it and has grease around the edges.

Is that piece suppost to be loose??

Mx

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, MicroE posted about this a week or so ago. The grease is a special conductive variety so don't wipe it off.

The instructions were updated to say, "remove the battery compartment" not the tail cap for battery replacement.

When you replace the disk, the bumps in the center should face out towards the battery.

Peter

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Yes, MicroE posted about this a week or so ago. The grease is a special conductive variety so don't wipe it off.

The instructions were updated to say, "remove the battery compartment" not the tail cap for battery replacement.

When you replace the disk, the bumps in the center should face out towards the battery.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be worth it to lock-tite it on so people can't unscrew it without a strap wrench?

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Or maybe make the tail cap section use left handed threads. Still servicable but encrypted.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Good ideas. Left handed threads would increase the chance the cap would come of when you tightened the battery compartment down right after a battery change. And, the locktite might prevent people from switching to a tail guard cap at a later date. More ideas?

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i like the loctite idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

still makes it openable, but only if you tried hard enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Auuuhhhh, let's just say for instance, some moron decided to wipe that crud off thinking it didn't belong there? Is that a problem?

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
More ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]
Remove the knurling from the tail cap (make it harder to turn)? That, with knurling on the head might encourage correct disassembly. As is, it looks like it's begging to be unscrewed at the seam between the two knurled grips.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emission, true.

TIN, you can probably use several varieties of conductive grease. We use a product that is carbon-bearing. The light should work fine without it. We put it there to provide just a extra bit of security.

Peter

Geode

Enlightened
Is there low strength loctite that could be used? Just enough to snugly hold the tailcap, but doesn't take a 500 lb gorilla to unscrew?

Microxot

Newly Enlightened
Peter,
Can I make a suggestion? Better documentation? I now see that I twisted off the tail cap instead of the whole battery compartment. To someone who has not had one of these lights before, it looked like the obvious place to twist to get to the battery compartment.

LOVE the light. Can't stop playing with it. My wife was getting annoyed at dinner. (heh)

paulr

Flashaholic
Maybe the tail cap could have a set screw or something. For sure, no knurling. And there should be no loose parts inside to fall out if the tail cap is removed!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
oh, i like knurling... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i really think loctite would be sufficient.
after they fiddle around trying to get the tailcap off they'll surely either accidentally take the whole body off, or try it on purpose...

kj

Enlightened
I'm with Rothrandir. I also like the knurling on the tail so please keep the knurling and use the loctite.

Arc4_No_Knurling_Switch.jpg

Marked

Enlightened
I had to adjust the tail peace to make the switch work easier. Haven it fixed in place would have ben a pain.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kj said:
I also like the knurling on the tail so please keep the knurling and use the loctite.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice pic.

May just be the way I use the light, but I don't find myself grabbing the very end... I usually hold it so I can press with my thumb. The few times I _do_ grab the end it's with my teeth. In that case, a smooth tailcap would accept a small rubber sleeve more easily (anyone have any ideas for this? Pipe insulation, maybe?)

Wouldn't a knurled head, plus the currently knurled midsection provide enough grip?

Likebright

Enlightened
When I first received my light I also opened the switch compartment.
So now I have tightened it down tight and made the battery compartment hand tight.
EmissionLine ---
You know with this light you can activate the switch with your toung.
Pretty handy, OM (oral mode).

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Likebright said:
You know with this light you can activate the switch with your toung.
Pretty handy, OM (oral mode).
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Actually, you can. It'd be easier if I had something softer to bite down on, though. Forget entering the menus that way... I'm just not that talented. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.