Klarus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McGizmo Custom LED Options

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Default Re: McGizmo Custom LED Options

The mules throw light in all directions, like 180 degrees, or a little less.
    Last edited by RedLED; 05-08-2016 at 10:43 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
    The round beam is just something I am not use to. I am glad to own it and can see many good uses for it.

I am intrigued by a red mule now though. How is the flood of a red mule compared to a 119v mule for example? Is the red equally as floody
    One thing I think that's pretty cool about the Mule and SunDrop is the straight forward and ease in, light engine exchanges. If one doesn't have enough need for a dedicated build or setup, one can swap out trade heads with light engines as need might arise. If you have a 119v Mule on hand try swapping LE's with the SunDrop and see how the 119V fares in the SunDrop head and red LED in Mule head. Obviously you need to use the right battery pak for the LE.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks Don.

I will look at them tomorrow and try that. Never messed with the lights but I assume the light engine just screws out of the head.

....Never messed with the lights but I assume the light engine just screws out of the head.
    Yes, the LE will unscrew out the back of the head. You can use some needle nose pliers on the two notches in the back end of the can for a drive to get the LE loosened.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

That's the beauty of a modular system such as this ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Wow that was easy....what amazing lights these are. Thanks Don

I am thinking for my use the red mule and 119v Sundrop will be perfect. Maybe add a red thrower to balance out

Anyone tried a red Makai? Or red TerraMule...not sure if either can be done but I bet that would be really cool

Yes, I prefer the Red in the Mule bezel and the N119 in the SunDrop, too ....

Wow that was easy....what amazing lights these are. Thanks Don

I am thinking for my use the red mule and 119v Sundrop will be perfect. Maybe add a red thrower to balance out

Anyone tried a red Makai? Or red TerraMule...not sure if either can be done but I bet that would be really cool
    What are you going to use the lights for? Mine are not to be seen and used at productions as a guide light.

Default McGizmo Custom LED Options

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    What are you going to use the lights for? Mine are not to be seen and used at productions as a guide light.
    I will use the red lights for camping and hunting. I can see keeping the red in my mule and looking for something to add that would give me red throw. Do I need two...probably not. Do I want two, yes
    Last edited by astewartconst; 05-09-2016 at 12:35 PM.

[QUOTE=astewartconst;4894141]I will use the red lights for camping and hunting. I can see keeping the red in my mule and looking for something to add that would give me red throw. Do I need two...probably not. Do I want two, yes[/QUOTE

Then a red Haiku would be great. I'll retest mine and give you an update, haven't had it out in a while.

Then a red Haiku would be great. I'll retest mine and give you an update, haven't had it out in a while.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am curious to hear your results and thoughts

Don

Are light engines for the Haiku swapped out as easily as the mule and sundrop? i would love to be able to purchase different engines to try out and then build lights around them as time goes on. Are Green, Royal Blue or Red available for the Haiku?

Thanks

The Haiku adds the complexity of the reflector(s) .

Certain reflectors are designed for certain emitters, and they need to also be electrically isolated from the contact points ....

I am curious if Don can/would do a red makai and how it would compare to a red haiku

Thanks Arch. I am a clueless fan of these lights. I love them but am ignorant to most of what makes them so cool...

Yes, I have quite a few different Aleph light engines. The modular system is an excellent design.

I am curious if Don can/would do a red makai and how it would compare to a red haiku
    it would be a pencil thin beam of red light, no flood. White or red.

Default McGizmo Custom LED Options

it would be a pencil thin beam of red light, no flood. White or red.
    Well that isn't what I want. I owned a makai XML and it had nice flood with a hot spot in the center and offered nice throw
    Last edited by astewartconst; 05-11-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Well, I don't think the red would work like an XML, Don would know better. For me a haiku is the one for what you are doing.

Well, I don't think the red would work like an XML, Don would know better. For me a haiku is the one for what you are doing.

So Red, is there a modder that can sell me a haiku engine, or install a red led?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LATimber View Post
    So Red, is there a modder that can sell me a haiku engine, or install a red led?

thanks
    Don sells red lights

Yes, I realize that. In this thread I have been informed that mules and sun drops are easily converted to Red led. At this point I am looking for available green, Royal or red engines for the haiku, or someone who can handle the mod. Thanks

I believe that McGizmo prefers to be eMailed directly on any specialized custom build inquiries.

I have seen Red, Blue, and UV mentioned specifically in the past. Perhaps IR, too ? I don't recall Green, but certainly may be possible.

Aftermarket Aleph light engines are certainly possible. I also have Amber, Cyan, MC-E neutral white, XP-L warm white, and others. Not sure this is the place for that discussion though ....
    Last edited by archimedes; 05-11-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LATimber View Post
    Yes, I realize that. In this thread I have been informed that mules and sun drops are easily converted to Red led. At this point I am looking for available green, Royal or red engines for the haiku, or someone who can handle the mod. Thanks
    I have some red, royal blue, IR Osram dragons that I have used and they will work in the Haiku if you use a XML reflector and machine the O-ring cup off the rear. The beam pattern does have a bright small spot in the middle but the flood portion is quite bright due to the lens on these particular LED's. For exchanging light engines at will, the Makai is a better choice to go along with the Mule and SunDrop since with these three heads there is no special contact between the LED and optic and you can screw and unscrew LE's at will without any concern for alignment or such. Granted the Makai head is not small and easily pocketed like the Haiku.

Enlightened

/just wondering if u r still making the Sapphire Ti AAA flashlight?

Seems to be an ongoing wave pf Sapphires. See here.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

I just got a Makai head and installed the red led into it and on my 2x123 body.

It is awesome. I haven't been out in the real dark yet with it but around the house is has nice flood with a bright red beam. To me it seems like t has the same characteristics of the XML Makai beam just red and not as bright

Photos to come

This thread may have me picking up another McGizmo. Great info here and thanks for sharing the shots of the red beam.

Anyone have recent beam shots to add to the thread? Have added some colored LED's to my rotation, but always looking for something new and interesting...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12