• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Custom LED Options

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
I am considering a Sundrop with Red LED, mainly because I think it is cool. I am fully aware of the uses and benefits of a Red LED and UV lights, but what curious what uses anyone has found for Royal Blue our UV lights that are offered as Custom from McGizmo? I am not dead set on Red, and could be persuaded to go with something different if the usage options are cool enough. Thanks in advance.

Chris

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I am considering a Sundrop with Red LED, mainly because I think it is cool. I am fully aware of the uses and benefits of a Red LED and UV lights, but what curious what uses anyone has found for Royal Blue our UV lights that are offered as Custom from McGizmo? I am not dead set on Red, and could be persuaded to go with something different if the usage options are cool enough. Thanks in advance.

Chris
I have a Red Sun Drop, more like the setting Sun Drop, and love it, and have a Red Haiku, also.

Last edited:

Ladd

Enlightened
One nice feature of the McGizmos is the ease of swapping engines. Different colors or upgraded emitter--no problem.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
As to uses, I have done a few IR lights for folks wanting to illuminate critters at night for photo/video using cameras which can record in the IR range. Beyond this application, I can't think of any off hand; other than illuminating critters walking on two legs I suppose if you are equipped with night vision gear.

The Royal Blue can be used to get certain materials to fluoresce and perhaps will work on scorpions?!? I think it can be uses in many applications where one would use a "black light". Some epoxies and adhesives will cure with Royal Blue.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for your input. Red, how would you compare the throw of the red LED vs the standard led on both the sundrop and the haiku? Do you get comparable beam distance, just red?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
No, the red does not throw the same, it may faintly light up somethings that a white LED would be awash in light.

These are more stealth the red does not bounce back, a little from the Haiku, the SunDrop is very cool in red. Remember the sun drop is not a thrower, it is a flood, and the red flood is amazing.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Yes sir, i had a Sun Drop in the past. Loved it, and regret selling it. I was hoping you would have positive feedback on the Red version. Thanks again.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I have a red Sundrop on a 2XAA pak from Don, the flood beams with the 3 levels are fantastic in that set up around the house at night, much better than my red surefire L1.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Thanks LM I was also curious how the Sundrop stacked up against others in the market. I.e. SF, HDS etc... Good to know.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red is awesome. Some uses, hunting, camping (often), and at the movies. I would say it take some getting used to, if that make sense. Some of the colors are off, making some things kinda hard to search for, in say a diaper bag for a specific item. Yes I said it, diaper bag. lol But, for navigation in the dead of darkness, red is a hard act to follow. Especially if you don't want to disturb others. Plus it doesn't wash out your eyes night adaptation.

I suggest that all Flashaholics have atleast one Red, a blue, a UV, a Nichia and so on. A Red Sundrop would be wild. Gizmos are some of the worlds greatest lights. If you think you will dig the Red, Search up Hyper Red. Oh my is it a blaster. The best thrower in a Red I have seen is the Hyper Red. Search those here.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
Str8stroke,

Hyper red Seems to be somewhat of a Spatuletail. Will keep an eye out for one, but don't expect to see one anytime soon... Thanks for the heads up. I would love to find one.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have been more clear. I haven't seen one in a McGizmo. I was saying IF you could get one put in a Haiku, that would be so awesome!!

astewartconst

Newly Enlightened
Got the light and first impressions are...

Love the 2X body the grooves are really nice both look and feel. The size would still work for EDC.

The Sundrop puts out a really cool beam. I only messed around with it last night in my house. I will take it camping this weekend and really test it out.

I am wondering if it is almost too bright even on low mode. Up close stuff (within arms reach) the beam gets concentrated and quite bright....curious to see how this is in real dark. I have a 1x body I will try on it also and see if that lowers output