Anyone know the type of cells in Kobalt 80v battery packs?

Redwraith94

Newly Enlightened
I purchased some of these since they were on stupid discount.

Inside there are 24 Lithium cells spot welded in series. They have this string on them:

TBF6RXA

and then what appears to be a lot code (different on each battery)

etc...

The cells are kind of cross between candy apple red, and magenta. I can post pics if it'll help.

I am selling the Kobalt tool packs that I bought (string trimmers), and trying to find the best Lithium charger for these batteries. I don't want to use the stock chargers, since I plan on charging them in parallel. They are for an electric bike project that uses gng bike's 72v kit:

http://www.gngebike.com/gng-belt-kit-2016

When I searched for strings based on that 'TBF6' it seemed to possibly indicate a prismatic battery? They are 18650 style though.

The Kobalt 80v chainsaw is rated for 2.7 hp, so it seems they are capable of 30 amp draw. The pack is rated for 2AH by itself, and they warrant them for 3 years. Out of 8, one was bad in the box. All of the others were 1 to 2 bars (of 3) charged. Some sat for as long as 9 months. I can post the spreadsheet, if the decay rate would help to vet the chemistry?

I'm mostly concerned with getting a good charger that will maximize cycle life, and possibly a car charger too. L-rd willing, they will honor their no household limit rebate I should have 16 batteries for a total of 2.3kwh (their rating).

I am not too familiar with batteries, but I thought of harvesting the cells so that they could be maintained separately. Seeing 24 of them in series, doesn't give me high hopes for their lifespan. Opinions on that are appreciated too.

Devon

Newly Enlightened
You may need to look closer at the individual batteries, using refractive light or similar.

They should all have the same code for the battery model on the side, especially since they are in series.

I suspect you may find something like UR18650**

markmang

Newly Enlightened
Cant be 100% sure but look like sanyo cells to me.........

Heat shrink jacket color is classic Sanyo (Panasonic-Sanyo today). Can you see the insulator disk on the positive end of the cells, under the jacket overhang? That disk color will pinpoint the version of Sanyo 18650 cell that it is.

Redwraith94

Newly Enlightened
The insulator disk is white. I can take another photo, if they have different shades?

robsamzing

Newly Enlightened
This is an old thread, but I'm replying to it because I googled my way here seeking the same information. I actually asked, on the lowes.com product page (Kobalt stalks those pages and replies with a Kobalt branded account) and they told me that these batteries have Panasonic cells (which I guess means Sanyo).

Mystery solved. I'd prefer Samsung of course, but at least they're not total knockoff crap.

eekhelpspike

Newly Enlightened
This is an old thread, but I'm replying to it because I googled my way here seeking the same information. I actually asked, on the lowes.com product page (Kobalt stalks those pages and replies with a Kobalt branded account) and they told me that these batteries have Panasonic cells (which I guess means Sanyo).

Mystery solved. I'd prefer Samsung of course, but at least they're not total knockoff crap.
Thanks. Were you looking because you found a good deal on the 80v packs?