Yet another motorcycle question

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
I'm replacing the small/wimpy rear turn signals on a motorcycle with Signal-Stat 6" oval red leds, mounted in the saddle bags (farthest rear location. The turn signals on my ride function as tail/turn/brake lights. There is a fairly weak central located indandecent S/T/T still in place.

My question is about side mounted (would be 6" oval leds, yeller in front, red in back) running lights.

I have room to mount those, in the bags on the rear, and in the fairing at the front. Can not hurt, right.
But I'm not sure if these can legaly function as (in the rear) brake/turn signal lights? The rears would be mounted 90 degree to the axis of the moto.

The front fairing mounted lights would be mounted at a small angle, facing somewhat toward the front. My current front turn signals serve as always on, running lights/turn signals.

I see clearance lights on semi trailers that function also as turn signals, seems good too me if you are past the back of the trailer and he's coming your way. Not sure about the brake light function tho.

Any help appreciated here.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
My question is about side mounted (would be 6" oval leds, yeller in front, red in back) running lights. I have room to mount those, in the bags on the rear, and in the fairing at the front. Can not hurt, right.
But I'm not sure if these can legaly function as (in the rear) brake/turn signal lights?

No, don't do that. By all means wire up the fronts as marker/turn, but wire the rears as marker-only.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
No, don't do that. By all means wire up the fronts as marker/turn, but wire the rears as marker-only.

OK, so the lights on the side, at the rear, are not legal to function as turn/brake lights?
I was leery of the brake light, but thought the turn signal might be legit. Based on the side markers on big truck trailers that serve as turn signals.

If those lights were mounted, at the rearmost point of the moto, at a 45 degree angle to the axis of the bike, would they then be legal?

Thinking of the pedestal mounted (usually on the front fender) truck running/turn signal lights. Like this one:

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...10001&storeId=10001&productId=33831&langId=-1

Truck-Lite 2750, if the link doesn't work.

Is that a legal type light to mount on a motorcycle and if so, at what position on the bike?

A lot of questions I know. Appreciate all replies.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any lamp that is suitable for a vehicle of a specific class can be used on a vehicle of a smaller class; lights designed for use on 80" or wider vehicles can be used on cars and on motorcycles. With respect to the pedestal lamps you linked: When yellow, they can be front or rear turn signals, and as front position lamps. When red, they can be used as rear turn signals and stop lamps-- from an 80" wide semi to a 28" wide bike. (They can also be used as tail lamps on those vehicles less than 80" wide).

As far as rear sidemarkers also flashing, a bike really isn't long enough to need a rear repeating function-- certainly not like a semi. Flashing rear sidemarkers are *permitted*, but you risk ambiguating a turn signal, particularly if your rear turn signal is yellow, and it and your new sidemarker are easily seen from a wide range of angles.

Last edited: