Need help/info on CR2 Rechargeable batteries!

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
I have been having great results with my rechargeable 18650 batteries in all 3 of my Nitecore lights, so i thought i would see about using some CR2 Rechargeableable batteries and am at a loss of whats going on unless i got some cheap batteries and a cheap charger?

Have 2 gunlights which use CR2 batt and i will run 1 Hr. the other 1.15 hr with these and so i went to Mt. Electronics and they dont carry any 15270 batteries, so i ordered 2 800mah from ebay and when i got them i found out my Charger wont work and dont know how fully charged they were but both worked 1/2 hr. in each light.

So i ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-Ultra...857596?hash=item541218a3fc:g:LbIAAOSwPgxVK3sQ and when it came in charged the batteries till full about 3.5 hrs. and they only ran about 22 minutes. The reviews on the batt were good but a few said they only have about 300 mah instead of 800 mah and now i find out the charger despite showing charged doesnt charge them to the fullest capacity?

I do know Ultrafire are not the best but this is sad, fortunately the mess cost me only $14. but i wonder why there are so very very few CR2 rechargeable batteries available? I do know no rechargeable will run as long or last as long as a good normal battery but my results are Nuts.

So what is the best 15270 rechargeable batt and charger? The few is see are all no name brands!

Thank's
James

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are not a lot of CR2 rechargeables out there. There was one LiFePo CR2 that I had at one time which was pretty good. But all in all about 300mAh is about the best you can expect from these small cells.

rookieshiner

Newly Enlightened
Surely there have to be some available that have more than 25-30 minutes runtime when a reg CR2 will run same lights up to 1.15 hrs, since there is no use in running with these!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surely there have to be some available that have more than 25-30 minutes runtime when a reg CR2 will run same lights up to 1.15 hrs, since there is no use in running with these!

http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-chargers/cr2-rechargeable-lithium-batteries-CR2-charger

Just the nature of the beast. Rechargeable cells in these smaller form factors just don't have the same capacity as their primary counterparts.

For $20, you can buy four of them and a charger plus two cells only sets you back $20.

Carry spares.

Chris

Gryffin

Enlightened
The CR2 form factor isn't too common, and so RCR2/15265 cells are even *more* rare. The small capacity also means they're all too easy to over-discharge; that's probably why the majority of ones I see are LiFePO4 cells. The upside is, LFP voltage is about the same as 3V lithium primaries, so you're not going to fry anything using rechargeables. The downside is, LFP cells have no where near the capacity of lithium primaries.

I typically preach the gospel of rechargeables, but in the case of CR2, you might be better off with a bulk purchase of CR2 primaries, if you find rechargeables to be too much hassle and/or expense.