What's a good 18650 3400mah 20amp protected battery?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering what a good 20amp 18650 3400mH cell would be without breaking the bank. I mainly order off amazon. Any help and I'd be greaftul and very appreciative. Thanks.

i also wonder if anyone knows if the nitecore p12gt can has any low voltage protection for unprotected 18650s, thanks again.

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What's a good 18650 3400mah 30amp protected battery?

I was wondering what a good 30amp 18650 3400mH cell would be without breaking the bank. I mainly order off amazon. Any help and I'd be greaftul and very appreciative. Thanks.

i also wonder if anyone knows if the nitecore p12gt can has any low voltage protection for unprotected 18650s, thanks again.

High amps or high capacity?

Pick one, you can't have both.
[h=2][/h]Sony VTC5, 30 A- 2600 mAh if you can find legit ones.

LG MJ1, 10A- 3500 mAh good all around cell for lights

LG HG2, 20A- 3000mAh Great cell under 10A, capacity is bit lackluster at 20A

LG HE4, 20A- 2500mAh Performs better than the HG2 at 20A

stephenk

Enlightened

I was wondering what a good 30amp 18650 3400mH cell would be without breaking the bank. I mainly order off amazon. Any help and I'd be greaftul and very appreciative. Thanks.

30A ? Are you trying to power a whole town?
I'm not aware of any protected 18650s that won't trip by around 10A.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

30A ? Are you trying to power a whole town?
I'm not aware of any protected 18650s that won't trip by around 10A.
Sorry guys, I meant 20amp my mind is crisscrossing between all my hobbies. I meant 20amps lol I'm not trying to power anything but my nitecore p12gt at its best. Title corrected

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry guys, I meant 20amp my mind is crisscrossing between all my hobbies. I meant 20amps lol I'm not trying to power anything but my nitecore p12gt at its best. Title corrected

What will you be using a cell rated for 20A in? Certainly not a NiteCore P12GT, right?

Samsung 30Q might be one to look at.

I doubt that you really need a 20A rated cell. Probably not even a 15A rated one.

Chris

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

A LG MJ1 should work provided it fits in the Nitecore, which may be sized for protected batteries.
In which case get a Keeppower 3500mAh.

A 20A rating would be overkill for that light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

A LG MJ1 should work provided it fits in the Nitecore, which may be sized for protected batteries.
In which case get a Keeppower 3500mAh.

A 20A rating would be overkill for that light.

Assuming that they fit, any 10A hybrid would be more than adequate.

MJ1, 30Q, NCR-GA and a host of others.

That light doesn't pull more than 4A, so the hybrids will yield plenty of headroom.

Chris

akhyar

Enlightened

Most Nitecore's lights that I'm aware of need button-top cells due to their revese polarity protection.
If you do get the stock 30Q, HG2, NCR-GA, etc, do prepare a button-top magnet or ordere some button-top adapters and sleeves from Fasttech, ME, etc

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

What will you be using a cell rated for 20A in? Certainly not a NiteCore P12GT, right?

Samsung 30Q might be one to look at.

I doubt that you really need a 20A rated cell. Probably not even a 15A rated one.

Chris

I was also going to use it in the Nitecore E4SW as well. Forgot to mention.
Thanks for the info, I am completely satisfied with my answers and help. I didn't realize the P12GT was only drawing 4amps at most. Thanks again.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering what a good 20amp 18650 3400mH cell would be without breaking the bank. I mainly order off amazon. Any help and I'd be greaftul and very appreciative. Thanks.

Serious questions:

-Why do you think you need 3400mAh?
-Why do you think you need 20Amp and what is your understanding of what that means anyhow?
-Why do you think you want a protected battery?

Not saying you are wrong, but I think you have a lack of understanding on how these all work and what the numbers actually mean. That's ok too, we all have to start somewhere.

What I would say is.

-Do you think you'll use the light on a High/Turbo a lot, or mostly on the low modes?

The reason for asking this is, a different battery will perform better for one thing than the other. So you can buy the best battery for your expected use.

Personally I'm yet to really see anything significantly better, or even as good as the Samsung 30Q. Good price and very good performance.

These are IMR/INR batteries, so don't have a protection circuit, but understanding what a protection circuit does and being mindful of the batteries, you really shouldn't need one if you are using IMR or INR chemistries.

You can get button top ones here:
http://www.banggood.com/1PCS-Samsun...ected-Button-Top-18650-Battery-p-1031818.html

If you want to see some stats, have a look at HJK's battery comparison tool here:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was also going to use it in the Nitecore E4SW as well. Forgot to mention.
Thanks for the info, I am completely satisfied with my answers and help. I didn't realize the P12GT was only drawing 4amps at most. Thanks again.

There aren't too many flashlights that require a dedicated 20A continuous cell, or cells, which is why I asked. 10A continuous covers 95% of all flashlights out there, is my guess?

Now, Drumstick asks you why you need a 3400mAh cell and that one should be obvious, but perhaps he's right and you need to read up a bit more and learn why X is used for 3 and Z is used for 1, which will help you be better informed down the road.

Right now, there's a plethora of 10A (continuous) 3300+mAh hybrid cells out there and depending on your particular light, they should be fine with either protection circuits added, or button tops.

Here's HKJ's invaluable site and you could spend a few days reading, but there are some tutorials down near the bottom of the 'chargers' page that might help you determine what a particular light draws in current, so you can better match your cells to your lights.

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html

The only real way to learn about this stuff is to read, then reread and ask questions.

Chris

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Chris, Chicken, I know my logic is massively flawed.
I wanted 3400mah so it would last the longest.
My poor logic wants 20amp because well, I want to make sure my baby is well fed. Like a electric motor that gets hot when it can't pull enough amps from the battery. (again, sorry for my logic)
I don't think I need it to be protected, only because I read somewhere the P12GT has a low voltage cutoff or low voltage warning can't remember which but either will suffice.
I understand this though, I understand I have a lack of understanding.

I work in a gold mine(Pit Mines and believe it or not Timber Mines). So when I get to the pit and or shaft, I like to battle against the other muckers about who has the greatest light and so far my Nitecore P12GT is reining supreme. It's becoming a war of lights and coincidentally the worlds biggest lithium pond is also nearby. Anyways, back to the point. I use high mode 24/7 and my current cells are the Efest 3000mah unprotected and the Eachine 2200mah(this is what we use 95% of the time, they are littered everywhere here).

Do to the shipping complications and whatnot it's best I stick to ordering from Amazon if I want to get it fast and right not I am down to my last Eachine 2200mah, they are worked allot and occasionally these things go up in a flare through the cap.

Anyways, as honest as I can be. Looking forward to hopping on the dusty old crap laptop at the assay office for some real 18650 shopping time.

Serious questions:

-Why do you think you need 3400mAh?
-Why do you think you need 20Amp and what is your understanding of what that means anyhow?
-Why do you think you want a protected battery?

Not saying you are wrong, but I think you have a lack of understanding on how these all work and what the numbers actually mean. That's ok too, we all have to start somewhere.

What I would say is.

-Do you think you'll use the light on a High/Turbo a lot, or mostly on the low modes?

The reason for asking this is, a different battery will perform better for one thing than the other. So you can buy the best battery for your expected use.

Personally I'm yet to really see anything significantly better, or even as good as the Samsung 30Q. Good price and very good performance.

These are IMR/INR batteries, so don't have a protection circuit, but understanding what a protection circuit does and being mindful of the batteries, you really shouldn't need one if you are using IMR or INR chemistries.

You can get button top ones here:
http://www.banggood.com/1PCS-Samsun...ected-Button-Top-18650-Battery-p-1031818.html

If you want to see some stats, have a look at HJK's battery comparison tool here:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Devon

Newly Enlightened
Chris, Chicken, I know my logic is massively flawed.
I wanted 3400mah so it would last the longest.
My poor logic wants 20amp because well, I want to make sure my baby is well fed. Like a electric motor that gets hot when it can't pull enough amps from the battery. (again, sorry for my logic)
I don't think I need it to be protected, only because I read somewhere the P12GT has a low voltage cutoff or low voltage warning can't remember which but either will suffice.
I understand this though, I understand I have a lack of understanding.

I work in a gold mine(Pit Mines and believe it or not Timber Mines). So when I get to the pit and or shaft, I like to battle against the other muckers about who has the greatest light and so far my Nitecore P12GT is reining supreme. It's becoming a war of lights and coincidentally the worlds biggest lithium pond is also nearby. Anyways, back to the point. I use high mode 24/7 and my current cells are the Efest 3000mah unprotected and the Eachine 2200mah(this is what we use 95% of the time, they are littered everywhere here).

Do to the shipping complications and whatnot it's best I stick to ordering from Amazon if I want to get it fast and right not I am down to my last Eachine 2200mah, they are worked allot and occasionally these things go up in a flare through the cap.

Anyways, as honest as I can be. Looking forward to hopping on the dusty old crap laptop at the assay office for some real 18650 shopping time.

An electric motor doesn't heat up and burn out because it can't draw enough Amps...

It burns out because the voltage drops and it draws too many Amps.....enough to melt it

Just think how a stick welder works.

ven

Flashaholic
You work in a goldmine, you have flashlight competitions at work..................could this be the best job in the world?:D