EDC, Single AAA, very simple, side clicky light?

levander

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Fenix E05 on my keychain now. And I'm tired of the awkward way I have to twist the cap to turn it on. Plus I occasionally leave it on and forget about it, which drains the battery before too long.

i'm hoping for a light that's small so it fits on my keychain. But is bright enough so when I walk outside with it I can see pretty far. So, AAA is probably the battery I want. I definitely prefer common batteries over the L44-whatever stuff I've never looked into because I have a bunch of other stuff that takes AA and AA batteries. So another device that takes the same batteries would be easier..

And I think I'd like it with a clicky button on the side rather than the rear. Just seems like it would be easier to turn on that way. I don't keep my keychain in my pocket. I keep it on a clip on my belt. So it wouldn't turn on accidentally. And really I think I'd prefer that when you press the button down, the light turns on. And when release the button, the flashlight turns off, so I don't leave the thing on overnight and burns the battery out.

and I'd like something simple. Strobe mode is entirely uncalled for. I only have one mode on my Fenix E05 and that's been fine. Although two modes may be better. Like one low mode when I'm trying to read small print on some electronic device I bought at Best Buy or when I'm switching out a hard drive on my computer and need a quick look inside the case without running to get a bigger light. And a high mode for when I'm walking outside.

There's not anything out there like that, is there?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… AAA
… with a clicky button on the side
… I'd prefer that when you press the button down, the light turns on. And when release the button, the flashlight turns off
… Strobe mode is entirely uncalled for
… two modes may be better.

not everything on your wish list is in any one light
the Ultratac K18 is one of the only side switch AAA lights

as far as your wishlist: first 2 things yes, the other 3 things no

pros:
The Ultratac fits the goal of a side switch, and it will run on AAA

cons:
here is a review: it uses PWM… "I hear a very small buzzing sound on Med."
S-22.jpg

the switch is not momentary on, "Possibility of accidental activation from off, due to the slightly protruded electronic side switch"

The LED is Cool White and Low CRI. It does not come with a High CRI Nichia 219

it has 3 modes plus strobe, and it has mode memory

levander

Newly Enlightened
May I present to you my favorite light here lately. The UlraTac K18 http://www.ultratac.com/chanpin.asp?id=20 . Love, love, love it. Put an efest IMR 10440 in it and be blown away.

Wow, amazing. I been looking for hours for the last couple of days. That's amazing you guys can find that.

No, it doesn't have some of my more oeculiar requests. But it's got the main stuff. And it's entirely possible after I get the thing, I'll like the way they implemented it better than I imagined it.

levander

Newly Enlightened
not everything on your wish list is in any one light
the Ultratac K18 is one of the only side switch AAA lights

Thanks for your comment.

Do you know the names of other side switch AAA lights?

what you quoted the review as saying there's a slight buzz on medium is of course worrying. But having dug through heaps of reviews for various products myself in the past, I remember to stay skeptical of how picky reviewers are being. It's kind of their job to find something wrong. But I really don't know if it's a real, albeit minor, issue with the light or not.

levander

Newly Enlightened
Way if I were to forego the AAA requirement?

is it going to be as much of a pain to stock batteries as I think it is?

When I buy something, I typically end up using it for several years. Like I just checked my Amazon account. I bought my current Fenix E05 in 2012. And I use rechargeable AAA Eeneloops in it. I probably have to replace the battery once every month or two (usually because I left the damn light on accidentally, I think)

how much closer would I come to my original goals of I fore-went my AAA requirement?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to keep this short, so instead of going into detail about each of your stated objectives, Im going to take an entirely different approach and suggest a light to you, because you have an opportunity to experience several things you have not known enough about to ask for, that are available in the present stage of flashlight evolution, including the Nichia 219 High CRI LED, and circuits that do not rely on Pulses to power the LED.

I suggest you get one of these #229 before they run out. There are many reasons.. Familiarize yourself with the pics and details in these threads #1 and #2

I think eneloops are great!:)

Gryffin

Enlightened
May I present to you my favorite light here lately. The UlraTac K18 http://www.ultratac.com/chanpin.asp?id=20 . Love, love, love it. Put an efest IMR 10440 in it and be blown away.

+1. Not only is it a GRATE light, it's pretty much the only good side-clicky AAA I can even think of. And yes, it rocks HARD for IMR 10440, but the runtime isn't much longer than you can hold your breath. Keep a 10440 in it to amaze your friends, but keep an Eneloop Pro handy in case you need runtime.

levander

Newly Enlightened
I need to keep this short, so instead of going into detail about each of your stated objectives, Im going to take an entirely different approach and suggest a light to you, because you have an opportunity to experience several things you have not known enough about to ask for, that are available in the present stage of flashlight evolution, including the Nichia 219 High CRI LED, and circuits that do not rely on Pulses to power the LED.

I suggest you get one of these #229 before they run out. There are many reasons.. Familiarize yourself with the pics and details in these threads #1 and #2

I think eneloops are great!:)

That light does look bad-***. And I'm sure the Nichia 219 LED thing is bad *** for people who care.

but I really just want a light for my keychain whose battery is as little a hassle to fool with as possible and is easy to turn on/off. Probably need both a high and a low mode for the light too.

i could be wrong, but my impression is a side click is the easiest to turn on and off. Easiest in that you don't have to slide your hand around as much turn turn it on. The problem with the side click is that in your pocket, it accidentally gets turned on a lot. But the thing is, I don't keep my EDC light in my pocket. I keep it on a keychain that is attached to a clip that is attached to my belt.

that thing has a tail click button. Not sure why I would want that.

levander

Newly Enlightened
+1. Not only is it a GRATE light, it's pretty much the only good side-clicky AAA I can even think of. And yes, it rocks HARD for IMR 10440, but the runtime isn't much longer than you can hold your breath. Keep a 10440 in it to amaze your friends, but keep an Eneloop Pro handy in case you need runtime.

That probably is,going to be what I end up with.

I'm just curious if anyone mentions anything else.

like I am,wondering if I'd be better off with a light that is momentary on/off only, for which I'd probably have to go to some weird battery. And I'm thinking the high mode (if any of those do have more than one mode) wouldn't be nearly as bright as an AAA battery driven light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
skeptical of how picky reviewers are being.

PWM example (not from a K18):
K18 also uses PWM, the buzzing noise is from the circuit turning the LED on and off really fast. Photo from my iPhone.
IMG_9900.JPG

High CRI Neutral White vs Low CRI Cool White example (top is Nichia)
photo courtesy of Dark Sucks
High-CRI-still-life-600.jpg

I'd prefer that when you press the button down, the light turns on. And when release the button, the flashlight turns off, so I don't leave the thing on overnight and burns the battery out.

The K18 does not have a momentary on switch, or a sleep timer.. but it sounds like your only choice with a sideswitch, and its not expensive. Let us know how you like it. :)

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $10 Nitecore Tube should be considered as a good keychain light.
Side-clicky, micro-usb rechargeable, and momentary on/off.

Last edited:

Latest posts