Genesis of "recent' innovations in 16650 cells?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been extremely unaware of the 16650 "scene" until just recently. It amazes me that they have more storage capacity than my 17670 cells. Does anyone know what the reason is for these developments? Is it for the Vaping marketplace? I don't vape, but if that is the case, don't they use all sizes of Li-ion cells, and can we expect to see the same trickle-down improvements in the 17mm and 18mm sizes?

Also, has anyone tried to fit a protected KeepPower 16650 cell in a Surefire A2?

Has anyone tried fitting an unprotected KeepPower 16650 cell in the Aviator? I'm assuming (and yes, I know what happens...) that charging a nominal 4.35v Li-ion cell in a 4.2v charger will not damage it, although final capacity will be less.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had Sanyo's UR16650ZT 2000mAh 4.30v cell and now we have the Sanyo UR16650ZTA 2500mAh 4.35v cell. I use some of the former that Redilast added protection to and dubbed it the 17670. It fits my unbored 6P fine, but I can't speak to other SF models.

I have an Xtar VP2 that can charge up 4.35v cells, gaining full capacity, but I don't use the light much and the ZTs at 4.20v are fine for me.

Chris

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read somewhere in a test that charging the 2000mAh ZT to 4.3V yields 1980mAh, while 4.2V gives around 1900.
At least in that sample, the difference is practically negligible, and no doubt 4.2V gives better lifespan.

No idea on the 2500mAh cells though.

ven

Flashaholic
Been using a few of these 16650's myself and pleased with them. Presume as said, the 4.35v fully loaded is helping get near the 2500mah.

Feed the 6p and nichia triple

C2 with a neutral malkoff drop in for some old school lighting

]

Cant see it being anything to do with vaping(could be wrong) due to not being a high amp cell, maybe good for 3-5a tops! So fine for most uses, just wont get the best out of higher output drop ins!

Not got any protected ones, nor do i plan on as Chris says..................i like to go naked:)

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I recently discovered the newest and higher capacity 16650 cells and only found them by trolling the vaping sites so I sort of made the assumption that it was that community that was/is responsible for their development. The flashlight community isn't really big enough to make a battery manufacturer push the capacity issue in the 16650 use world. But when you read about the vapers having "smoke outs" using certain size holders and than all the folks who are doing the ultra low resistance burners. It makes sense that they might be the ones pushing the limits enough to catch the attention of battery makers.

I bought the Sanyo UA16650ZTA cells a few months back and couldn't be happier. I can use them in all my Surefires that haven't been bored (or never will be) with custom drop in's and they perform extremely well. The Sanyo's barely fit in an A2 (but do) and all the SF's I have. Like the L2/LX2/U2/E2/Kroma, etc. Best part is it now opens a whole new world for lamps/ drop in's for my M4.

Maximum discharge current is stated as 5 amps on MtnElectonics but if you look at the manfacturers data sheet and look at the discharge current graph the highest it is shown as 4.8 amps. Close enough I guess? Bottom line. If you don't have the newer cells. consider them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thought is that there are an awful lot of P60 hosts out there, chiefly Surefire, that used to be incandescent, using one or two CR123s. With the advent of good LED drop ins, a lot of owners switched to LED, and started buying 16650 cells, since they would be a direct replacement for two CR123 cells. The upsurge in sales led Marketing to go to R&D and ask for more capacity so they could win the bragging game and sell more.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted in a thread over on the Incan forum that I did try the 16650 in an A2. It just wasn't enough voltage to drive the bulb at full power.

Works great in an E2e though and other SF lights that can't fit a 18mm cell.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted in a thread over on the Incan forum that I did try the 16650 in an A2. It just wasn't enough voltage to drive the bulb at full power.

Works great in an E2e though and other SF lights that can't fit a 18mm cell.

If you wish to stay incandescent, you could always go to Lumens Factory and get one of their 3.7V modules. This should work FINE with a single 16650 (since that is what it is designed for). And with 150 and 190 lumen options, light output will be a good deal better than the stock Surefire modules.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Matt - I am familiar with the LumensFactory offerings. I am a mostly LED guy but I always go back to incan here and there for the nostalgia and great CRI. I keep an A2 and an E2e for those purposes.