Help me find a great light for work please!

LoPan12

Newly Enlightened
Good evening everyone!
So, I, like all of you, have a love of light emitting devices that makes my wife just shake her head at me.
I've been trying to find a light that works for work, but haven't really had anything stick.
So, I work in a power plant. Sometimes its just dark, sometimes I need to point at something to someone else, sometimes it's plenty bright, but what I'm looking at is shrouded in darkness. I look at things both near, and far (up to 100ft)
Sometimes I might use my light to tap a gauge, sometimes I might use it to bang on a pipe...:eek:
I might need to illuminate paperwork, and not blind myself, and I might need to set it down to use both hands on a valve.
We have a ready supply of alkaline batteries of all sizes, and a less accessible supply of CR123s (Have to get them issued during daytime hours). I don't personally own any rechargables or a charger...
I've been through the following lights...
Streamlight ProPolymer 4xAA
Pelican 3330 2xCR123
Nightstick Xtreme Tactical 2xCR123
Nightstick XPP-5422G

I haven't sprung for any of the higher end lights for work for a few reasons:
1. If I'm just a little careless, I'll never see it again. Leave it on a ledge, or whatever, highest chance is that someone has a brand new light.
2. It will take abuse. Being held while turning valve handwheels, climbing ladders, being dropped 1-15 ft onto concrete. The life of a tool in an industrial environment.
3. Work has provided the 4 listed lights throughout the years.

Quick thoughts on the above lights:
The two CR123 lights were decent, but the brightness tapered off quickly, and burning through CR123s from work makes me feel mildly guilty. Sometimes.
Of the other two, I preferred the Streamlight for the throw, and the narrower emitter let me pocket the light lens down, protecting it some.
Prefer to spend less than $50, maybe $65.
Would like a forward click switch to be able to cycle through modes quickly, but have no preference for where it's located. This makes the mode order less important as well.
As long as I can quickly draw it from my leg and shine, and put it back smoothly.

Running short on time...will keep typing later. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!!
Edits:
I'm not opposed to starting into rechargeable lithiums, but don't really know where to get started with that.
And please also recommend lights as if they weren't going to get beat up. If it's got all the other attributes I like, I'm sure I would take more care with it...relatively speaking.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2AA Rayovac Indestructible is a good LED for $15 at home depot, the newest version is 300 lumens on high, about 70 on low. The old version was 100 lumens on high about 18 on low. Both have 30 ft. drop ratings.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best for you would be something from the Led Lenser range,thinking of the P7.2 or better still the T7.2.One of the world's biggest brands and heavily marketed to professional trade users.Very easy to obtain and generally high trade discounts from trade stores.As you say a ready supply of Alkaline so forget all the charging ideas and the use of Eneloops you just do not need all the messing about.

Main advantages use standard easy available batteries and high trade discount and a good warranty.I would steer clear of hobby stores and buy through trade outlets.

LoPan12

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by trade outlets?

I have a large collection of eneloops for home use (Costco packs on sale are awesome...).
I meant to add that I'd been thinking about venturing into the lithium rechargeable world... But not sure on the most economical way to do it.
I will check out the Rayovac and lensers though, thanks!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main reason I use rechargeable batteries is to save money. That may be less of a concern for you, since you can get primary alkaline and CR123A batteries from your employer.

The second reason I use rechargeable batteries is performance. Alkaline, in particular, has a high internal resistance that makes it a poor choice for modern flashlights. The following chart compares alkaline against Eneloop Pro.

J0XOEm3.jpg

I the like the predictable, flat output provided by the Eneloop Pro. The alkaline data is abysmal.

If you decide to go with Li-ion 18650 batteries, you will find a wealth of choices.

Your need to use a flashlight to "tap" and "bang" on things is a bit of a concern. In addition, a 15-foot drop rating is rare. Most mid-level flashlights have a drop rating under the ANSI FL 1 standard of 1, 1.5, or 2 meters. Very few are rated for a 15ft drop. Rayovac Indestructible, Armytek, and Elzetta are the only ones that comes to mind.

Flashlights with potted electronics may also be tough enough for you. Check out Malkoff Devices and ZebraLight.

Out of all these brands, the only one I own in the ZebraLight SC62w, and I would not use it to bang on anything!

Note, as well, impact shocks are something you want to avoid with Li-ion batteries.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by trade outlets?

I have a large collection of eneloops for home use (Costco packs on sale are awesome...).
I meant to add that I'd been thinking about venturing into the lithium rechargeable world... But not sure on the most economical way to do it.
I will check out the Rayovac and lensers though, thanks!

By trade outlets, I mean the companies that supply your consumable needs(nuts bolts maintenance sprays etc),over here in the UK we have several big name outlets including my own employer.If you have Eneloop all well and good but from a sales point of view my customers always buy Alkaline as generally they are not paying the bill and just want fresh light without messing with charging.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spray it pink, no kidding. Many of the tools my brother carries on the job have fluorescent green spray painted across them.

If you see someone walking off with a pink malkoff, it's time to introduce him to Mr Maglite :rolleyes:

Another work trick use a pen with green ink no one will ever pocket it.

LoPan12

Newly Enlightened
The main reason I use rechargeable batteries is to save money. That may be less of a concern for you, since you can get primary alkaline and CR123A batteries from your employer.

The second reason I use rechargeable batteries is performance. Alkaline, in particular, has a high internal resistance that makes it a poor choice for modern flashlights. The following chart compares alkaline against Eneloop Pro.

I the like the predictable, flat output provided by the Eneloop Pro. The alkaline data is abysmal.

If you decide to go with Li-ion 18650 batteries, you will find a wealth of choices.

Your need to use a flashlight to "tap" and "bang" on things is a bit of a concern. In addition, a 15-foot drop rating is rare. Most mid-level flashlights have a drop rating under the ANSI FL 1 standard of 1, 1.5, or 2 meters. Very few are rated for a 15ft drop. Rayovac Indestructible, Armytek, and Elzetta are the only ones that comes to mind.

Flashlights with potted electronics may also be tough enough for you. Check out Malkoff Devices and ZebraLight.

Out of all these brands, the only one I own in the ZebraLight SC62w, and I would not use it to bang on anything!

Note, as well, impact shocks are something you want to avoid with Li-ion batteries.

Thanks for your reply! That's interesting. I'd not realized the eneloops had such a marked difference from alkalines. I guess I don't notice it because I use my light momentarily, on a very regular basis. It's usually a random "Hey, I can't really see that anymore...." moment that makes me grab new batteries. I can't even fathom how much of an expense batteries, just for flashlights here is...
I don't necessarily need it to have a drop rating of more than a couple meters, but just a hardiness that means I won't panic if it gets dropped somehow. TBH, the use of my light for "mechanical agitation" is a habit I'm trying to break...but when you're 20 ft in the air, it can be too much of a pain to get a wrench, or, y'know, a proper deadblow mallet. :eek:
What does it mean when you say "potted electronics?"

Another work trick use a pen with green ink no one will ever pocket it.

I've done that. But our vaulted docs require blue or black ink. It was annoying to keep two on me, and remember which to use.

Spray it pink, no kidding. Many of the tools my brother carries on the job have fluorescent green spray painted across them.

If you see someone walking off with a pink malkoff, it's time to introduce him to Mr Maglite :rolleyes:

:) This would work some of the time, but unfortunately, during a service outage is when its a big problem. We get 5x (about 700 additional) the people on site than normal, and they're all contractors. They already bombard our supply chain with flashlight requisitions...because they always need a new one :mad: Stores is always out when I actually need a new one. I keep telling our supply manager that he needs to stock cheap crap lights during outages...

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi. Welcome to CPF.

I'm a simple mind. I buy a light and use it. With that in mind, buy a Nitecore MH20GT and as best you can, tie it to your wrist or clip it to a retractable key chain. I won't go on about being careful as some lights are worth protecting.

Poppy

Flashaholic
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PoppySpray it pink, no kidding. Many of the tools my brother carries on the job have fluorescent green spray painted across them.
:) This would work some of the time, but unfortunately, during a service outage is when its a big problem. We get 5x (about 700 additional) the people on site than normal, and they're all contractors. They already bombard our supply chain with flashlight requisitions...because they always need a new one :mad: Stores is always out when I actually need a new one. I keep telling our supply manager that he needs to stock cheap crap lights during outages...
OIC, perhaps a headlamp would work during outages. Either on your head, or mounted on your hard-hat. If necessary, you could even pop rivet the strap to the helmet.
Edit: maybe pop rivets through your hat isn't a great idea. Duct tape, or zip ties may work to hold it in place.

Last edited:

LoPan12

Newly Enlightened
That you mention it... :D I've already got a headlamp mounted to my hardhats. Nothing special. While I do like them, and love the freedom they present me, there's plenty more times when its apparent that I need a light free of attachment.
And yes, you're right, pop rivets would "compromise the structural integrity and dielectric properties of the hard hat". They even have a limit to the number/size of stickers we can put on them...

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well then there are the Zebralight, and Armytek lights that can be had in a right angle configuration, that you can use as a headlamp, and as a free standing light when needed.
Typically though, headlamps have a short reflector, so they don't throw too far. They are better though for close up work, as they are typically floody.

I can't make specific head lamp recommendations, as I have limited experience/exposure with/to them.

For hard hat use, I would probably look more into 18650 lights. That though is totally your call.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Good evening everyone!
So, I, like all of you, have a love of light emitting devices that makes my wife just shake her head at me.
I've been trying to find a light that works for work, but haven't really had anything stick.
So, I work in a power plant. Sometimes its just dark, sometimes I need to point at something to someone else, sometimes it's plenty bright, but what I'm looking at is shrouded in darkness. I look at things both near, and far (up to 100ft)

I've been through the following lights...
Streamlight ProPolymer 4xAA
Pelican 3330 2xCR123
Nightstick Xtreme Tactical 2xCR123
Nightstick XPP-5422G

The streamlight pro-polymer

• 100 lumens typical; up to 4,200 candela peak beam intensity.
  • Four "AA" size alkaline batteries.
The rayovac 2AA mentioned above has 100 lumens and a cd of 5625.

That means that it will throw farther than your pro-polymer but with the same lumen output, it will be a tighter beam.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Try the Tektite expidition star. It is supposed to be pretty much indestructable and it can be had in bright yellow.

Poppy

Flashaholic
This light Nightstick Xtreme Tactical 2xCR123
has about 10,000 cd, and a 800 lumen output, and you said that it was nice,
but the brightness tapered off quickly, and burning through CR123s from work makes me feel mildly guilty.

You might want to look for a light that will give similar output, but run on a single 18650 rechargeable LiIon battery, with the option of running on a pair cr123 batteries.

You might look at lights like the Fenix PD35, or the Nitecore P12, Thrunite Tn12

Here are the listed run times for the Fenix with a 2300 mah 18650. You can get them up to 3400 mah for about $10

Turbo: 1000 Lumens (1 hr., 10 min.)
High: 500 Lumens (2 hrs., 55 min.)
Mid: 200 Lumens (8 hr. 30 min.)
Low: 60 Lumens (29 hr., 15 min.)
Eco: 8 Lumens (140 hr.)