Working Eveready penlight found in junk bag

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today while looking through a bag my family had considered junk when my pop passed I found this.

Bulb was still inside all flopping around.
I was on a mission to find a magnifier and remembered I had scarfed up a couple of bags of 'junk' at my dads a few years ago and stuck 'em in my shed to pilfer through some other time. Old brass trunk locks, unused (waxed) shoestrings, inkpens, old dog tags, and other stuff including magnifiers.

Well I did not search long because when I saw an old unopened GE PR3, a minty pack of American Airlines playing cards and an Eveready (with 1 R) penlight I forgot all about the magnifier search.

Now I remember why I always spelled it with 1 R...

I'm pretty sure this is a light my dad used to look down rifle barrels until I gave him a right angle reflector tool from Dillon Precision Products that used a prism method to send room light into the barrel.

It used to be mine or my brothers when we were kids and at some point my pop found it useful.

First thought was "nah, it won't work". Next thought was "where to find a bulb"....

Turns out the Norelco 222 screw in bulb is still being made by Phillips and others. Cool!!

Insert fresh Rayovacs and there was light. Barely. But it lit. Woohoo!

It's a reverse clicky. The switch needed some coaxing and tlc, but soon worked like new.

Being a CPF'r I had to take it apart to see what makes it tick.
I absolutely love the simplicity and end user servicable parts n pieces.

The reverse clicky can be disassembled. I chose not to today.

Screw in bulb fastener slides into the barrel. Battery pressure causes it to stay. Bulb burns out, just push on it and instant parts swap.

Speaking of bulbs...

Me thinx they probably don't come from Holland anymore.

Oh and...

Probably a 2 pack sheet from a hardware store, where you tore off how many you wanted.

Who knew "junk" could be so fun?

Perhaps Minimoog can enlighten us when Union Carbide dropped the 2nd R.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
That Eveready penlight was
my Very First EDC flashlight !

For Eight Years !

From 1976, until I got my first Mini-Maglite,
on November 14, 1984 !

Had to replace 'em perhaps every year or so,
because the stamped metal clip would
eventually pull out.

And the clicky switch would get dusty/dirty,
and no longer function reliably.

I was totally un-aware it could be
disassembled and cleaned out !
< sigh >

That exposed #222 lens-end bulb
always struck me as being very vulnerable
to damage and breakage , but in actual use,
I never, EVER had a bulb fail on me !
Through 8 years of frequent use !
< Thumbs Up >

Burgess

Flashaholic
BTW --

I could be wrong ,
( and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am )

but I think " Everready " was the trademark name of
the British division of USA's Eveready flashlight company.

Burgess

Flashaholic
And take careful notice
of that General Electric (made in USA)
PR-3 flashlight bulb --

Has a " support strut "
which serves to hold the filament
more securely. For stability.

Was therefore a bit more resistant to
filament damage, due to dropping.

As a result, the flashlight would cast
a distinctive "shadow" in its beam,
corresponding to that support strut.

Definitely a part of Flashaholic History here !

;)
_

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That Eveready penlight was
my Very First EDC flashlight !

For Eight Years !

From 1976, until I got my first Mini-Maglite,
on November 14, 1984 !

Had to replace 'em perhaps every year or so,
because the stamped metal clip would
eventually pull out.

And the clicky switch would get dusty/dirty,
and no longer function reliably.

I was totally un-aware it could be
disassembled and cleaned out !
< sigh >

That exposed #222 lens-end bulb
always struck me as being very vulnerable
to damage and breakage , but in actual use,
I never, EVER had a bulb fail on me !
Through 8 years of frequent use !
< Thumbs Up >

BTW --

I could be wrong ,
( and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am )

but I think " Everready " was the trademark name of
the British division of USA's Eveready flashlight company.

And take careful notice
of that General Electric (made in USA)
PR-3 flashlight bulb --

Has a " support strut "
which serves to hold the filament
more securely. For stability.

Was therefore a bit more resistant to
filament damage, due to dropping.

As a result, the flashlight would cast
a distinctive "shadow" in its beam,
corresponding to that support strut.

Definitely a part of Flashaholic History here !

;)
_

Great info. 'Preciate it. My guess the norelco is the original bulb.
And that GE will remain in the package. If I ever do use it, I'll know it's durable.

I have 4 parts boxes for my LED flashlights and invoices. Soon I'll be starting a dedicated bulb box.
Reading here has taught me a lot. But I'm still 20 years behind...(it was 25 when I joined. lol).

So Burgess tell me what you were doing on........let's say................March 12 1981.......................... :p

Probably wishing somebody would make a light where all you do is twist it on and off with a choice between spot and spill...

HB 88

Newly Enlightened
Wow! That's a great find. I have not seen one in that good of condition in a long time. My pocket flashlight for the last few decades, a Tekna Splash Lite, uses the 222 lamp too. I use the more modern Krypton equivalent, the K222 lamp. A worthy upgrade. Enjoy that pen light! And thanks for sharing your find.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had one of these lights when I was a kid too, I also have an older 3AAA eveready penlight with sliding clip for on/off switch but I don't remember what happened to my 2AA penlight but I don't miss it at all as the #222 bulbs look about like the output of a 5mm LED but runtime was pathetic. I recently picked up a cheap 2AA led penlight off ebay that reminds me of it with the exception of an output that is 100 times bright it looks like.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had one of these lights when I was a kid too, I also have an older 3AAA eveready penlight with sliding clip for on/off switch but I don't remember what happened to my 2AA penlight but I don't miss it at all as the #222 bulbs look about like the output of a 5mm LED but runtime was pathetic. I recently picked up a cheap 2AA led penlight off ebay that reminds me of it with the exception of an output that is 100 times bright it looks like.
If memory serves it was a pupil checker in my house. One like the doctor used to check for concussion signs whenever we'd take a spill from mimic-ing the latest Evel Knevel stunt.
I'm kinda glad it was dim, actually.

Wow! That's a great find. I have not seen one in that good of condition in a long time. My pocket flashlight for the last few decades, a Tekna Splash Lite, uses the 222 lamp too. I use the more modern Krypton equivalent, the K222 lamp. A worthy upgrade. Enjoy that pen light! And thanks for sharing your find.

Like the krypton idea.
I cannot say for certain when or how I ended up with one. I may have 'stolen' it from the medicine cabinet to use when playing 'doctor' with some neighbor gal on summer nights. lol. But I do remember my dad checking rifle barrels with it and whacking it against his palm trying to make it brighter.