Weather Clock Radio in Audi TV advertisement

recDNA

Flashaholic
Have you seen the ad I mean? Everything in the ad improves. The guy drops an old fashioned clock radio like ours on the floor and picks up a cool illuminated clock radio with weather icon. My wife loves the clock radio in that ad and nobody knows what it is. People have even written Audi but they won't tell. The closest I have found is the NID Clock 007 weather clock radio in aliexpress
f74d6a72f4fd0575eeff84d47eb32ed8.jpg
for $120 but I don't trust aliexpress. The weather icon is probably a decal! Besides it only looks an inch thick. We want something boxy like in the ad that the cat can't easily knock over. Anyway I would appreciate your help if you can find it! Thanks!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Pretty sure it's fake; that'd have to be an OLED type display if it were real, which would be great if you wanted a $500 alarm clock..

Lots of very similar/more functional though perhaps not quite as pretty alarm clocks out there, now that they're becoming more diverse to try to fend off cell phone use.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My wife likes the pretty. If i can find that exact device or something just like it cost is not an issue

recDNA

Flashaholic
I did. Lacrosse products are junk. I'm looking for a clock radio not a home weather station. I'm not knocking home weather stations. I have 3 of them. I want something more substantial that plays the radio to wake me up. The brightly illuminated face that stays lit it what makes it better than other nice clock radios I have seen.

Thanks for your effort. If that NID 007 from aliexpress ever gets to amazon or a respectable dealer it is the best I have seen. I suspect it is a cheap plastic imitation of a real radio though

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes. Good point. We have one but the iphone sits at the top. It isn't stable so we have to put it on a high unreachable spot to keep the cats from knocking it over. The one you picture looks more stable. To get big clock and weather android would be best. I just wonder if those batteries are designed to stand being drained and charged 24/7 365?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never seen that commercial. I like the projector ones that put a large easy to read time on the ceiling. That way I just open my eyes and can see time. Or you can also do the traditional roll over and look see technique.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have one. Too bright in our br in the morning to read the projection. Even when I can read it I still need a clock radio. The one in the audi ad must be a prop. Too bad. It looked perfect

recDNA

Flashaholic
Nice but a Samsung tablet provides the same features. I may go that route but I doubt it. I've seen something on aliexpress that looked good. I will just wait until it or something like it hits the American market. The most logical suggestion was a tablet in a media dock but I really just want a clock radio. I have the old fashioned kind. I can wait. If I construct some Franken-weather-radio-media center my wife will hate it. This is really for her. She likes simple and pretty. Anything I build she will refuse to learn to operate and will simply thank me, ignore it for a few months, then it will disappear into a drawer. I know her too well.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's just one of those simple and obvious things wives think of that are technically impossible because everything is too technical. The idea is sound; a basic clock radio with a weather display, but I can't think of how you'd do that even with a tablet and a dock. The tablet would be in a left-on state with the display turned down as far as it'd go, and maybe there's an app that just displays time and weather, but then that app would not be able to access another app that would play a radio station.. no clue..

If she doesn't mind asking instead of looking, Alexa could always wake her with the appointed station at the appointed time and explain the weather using an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. Nothing to knock over, nothing to rig.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There is an Android App that will keep the screen on. There is another app through which you can set your favorite fm radio station or music file to play. I suppose shutting it off may be tougher than a sleep button but if the media center has a mute button we're good. A weather clock widget on the screen. I really see no problem except finding a media center that a samsung tablet fits in. Most of this phone in media dock stuff is made for iphones and no screen filling weather widgets are available for those.

I could make the whole thing work but it will be too big to please her. If I use my Note 3 instead of a tablet that screen is really big enough but I doubt I will find a media center for it that it fits perfectly into. I'm due for a new phone anyway

StarHalo

Flashaholic
But how do you get the radio app to play at a specific time as an alarm; the radio apps don't have an alarm function because it's assumed you'll just use the phone's alarm..

Android means you could do a Fire 7" tablet, those are $40 today; the standing case is $15 so you wouldn't need anything to set it in/on. You could actually put this whole thing together new for under $60, crazy..

recDNA

Flashaholic
But how do you get the radio app to play at a specific time as an alarm; the radio apps don't have an alarm function because it's assumed you'll just use the phone's alarm..

Android means you could do a Fire 7" tablet, those are $40 today; the standing case is $15 so you wouldn't need anything to set it in/on. You could actually put this whole thing together new for under $60, crazy..
Yes but I would like it attched to decent speakers in a dock making it more stable. Tablet speakers suck.

There is an app called internet radio that works as a clock radio in premium paid version.

PCRADIO player have optional PREMIUM features that makes it even more comfortable to use. You can record stream of currently broadcasting radio station. Power-off timer lets you set player to stop playback at specified time. Or you can use PCRADIO as an alarm clock. Also you can choose quality of the broadcasting stream. For any station in the list you can choose low, medium and high quality.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yes but I would like it attched to decent speakers in a dock making it more stable. Tablet speakers suck.
A Bluetooth speaker - that could be set anywhere, and would give you significantly better sound and stereo separation depending on how much money you put into it. A basic $50 model on/near the headboard would be amazing..

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a clock radio not a weather station. I have 3 weather stations. Thanks for finding it though

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's pretty clear that the commercial clock was a prop, but I'm fairly intrigued by this idea of a bedside all-in-one station, especially if it's under $100; a Fire tablet in a stand case with a Bluetooth speaker would be a pretty 21st century setup.. What app did you have in mind for the weather part?

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I had a Sony Dash for years, which is kind of like this. Unfortunately first party support for it isn't there any more.