Travel flashlight for late night village walks

chx1975

Newly Enlightened
First, I am flying and with today's restrictions on your carry on weight every gram matters. Second, I will be in a small Hungarian town (or perhaps just village) often out midnight-ish for a 20 minutes walk, there's street lightning but not everywhere, so it's pitch black here and there and the streets are sometimes not paved or if they are, they are not much better. So I need to see what's ahead of me while not waking up the whole village.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Online. I am in Canada.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $50.

3) Format:

I am guessing handheld since a headlight won't light what's immediately ahead of me unless I walk with my chin on my chest?

4) Size:

The smaller the better.

5) Emitter/Light source:

I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

I do not particularly care.

7) What power source do you want to use?
7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

AAA: I already have Eneloop AAA batteries by the sackful, both white and black.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens). Exactly!

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

I am guessing this is what I want :)

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

Either of these? I am just walking outside.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

If it'd last 25 min on a single AAA Eneloop that'd be swell. The black AAA is 900-950 mAh.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

It needs to last two weeks a year. I like durable things but then again if it costs like $15 I can just buy one every year.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).

That'd be lovely. My middle name is clumsy. And if it all works out I might use it on possible winter trips in gloves. How does that mesh with the desire to be small, though.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

I am guessing a low light for indoors could be useful.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

Would be nice if a little fall of rain didn't ruin it. But if that's a problem, meh.

16) Storage conditions

In house, in carry on.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

That'd be swell! But I am not married to it.

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
Not a highly specific answer but you could benefit from some Maglite led or (I might get in trouble for saying this) coast led lights. They both have twist feature which can go from flood to zoom and use AAA batteries. Also, they are available at home Depot, lowe's or other hardware store. I'm from Toronto and shipping can be expensive sometimes from the states, especially when you are looking for a light with a budget of $50.
I've used my coast G50 multiple times when it's wet outside but i don't know if it's water proof or not.

chx1975

Newly Enlightened
One more thing if it helps: I am fine with an USB rechargeable light as well, I use an USB charger anyways for my AAA cells.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I might ask, what about the ThorFire PF04 ?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
USB chargeable AAA is something I have never heard of before as usually that kind of functionality would add size to the unit..is there such a thing?

The only small USB light I know of isn't AAA, its the Nitecore Tube, but it only goes to 45 Lumens and not sure of the range due to reflector-less design.

Throfire AAA...decent light, PWM though IIRC if you care about that kind of thing.

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened
I got the Lumintop Tool AAA Aluminum version a few weeks ago and still like this light. The beam has decent spill so you can light enough area where you're walking. Its got good spread of levels (3 levels though) and comes in level order of M-L-H and has good runtimes to me. The medium mode (32 lumens) is good for general use and lasts ~4 hours. The high (110 lumens) is good for short/burst usage (30 minutes). I really like the low is 5 lumens but with 36 hours usage. I haven't tested runtimes though.. (These quoted level is from my box and on their website for the Titanium version. The quoted time for aluminium version doesn't match whats in my box and the Titanium version).

They sell a version with both clicky and magnetic/twisty tailcaps. But you mentioned may use with gloves so you can look at just the clicky version. I put the clip "backwards" so if I do wear a hat (which I almost never do), it can be a makeshift headlamp.

Overall for a keychain/backup AAA light, its my favorite. You can carry a few spare AAAs and should be last fine.

If size and rechargeable is really important, you can look at adding a Nitecore Tube as a backup to you AAA light. Its totally floody though. This is bright enough for short close usage and can recharge though power banks if you have one already. The low level lasts long but its closer to a moonlight level and better as a nightlight or middle of bathroom runs! ;)
Keep in mind some have mentioned the different color "shells" of the Tube can affect the spill/beam so I just ended up getting the clear one for myself.

If you want higher output though, you can look at 2AAA lights (I don't have have any experience with these).

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I can reccomend the peak eiger, great little light that covers a good range of output.
I don't know how hard it would be to get one in canada though.
Get the medium optic for a more floody light.
I like the color of the light of the HI CRI option (similar to incandescant lighting)

Poppy

Flashaholic
One more thing if it helps: I am fine with an USB rechargeable light as well, I use an USB charger anyways for my AAA cells.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I might ask, what about the ThorFire PF04 ?
I don't have one, but ThorFire has gotten pretty decent reviews.
IIRC, Some I have seen mentioned PWM that some people are bothered with, but generally a good low cost light.

chx1975

Newly Enlightened
USB chargeable AAA is something I have never heard of before as usually that kind of functionality would add size to the unit..is there such a thing?

This is what I meant. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004UAG776/

Where can I read more about what's a PWM light and why it's bad? I know PWM stands for pulse width modulation, do you mean the light is constantly flashing?? o_O

I think though the Lumintop Tool AAA will be the winner. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where can I read more about what's a PWM light and why it's bad? I know PWM stands for pulse width modulation, do you mean the light is constantly flashing?? Anora

PWM does not bother all people,I have over 80 lights and I have no idea which has PWM or not because it has never bothered me but again I never wear an Anorak just enjoy the hobby.From experience your choice of AAA in my opinion is not the right choice you should be looking at AA for night time walking,to me AAA is more a daytime edc.
Big fan of Thorfire,well made and inexpensive.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Where can I read more about what's a PWM light and why it's bad? I know PWM stands for pulse width modulation, do you mean the light is constantly flashing?? o_O

There are many comments in this thread, but if you understand the first post, that's all you need :)

Many of my lights are PWM modulated, but the frequency is high enough that it goes unnoticed.

I very much like my Niteye MSC20, but when it is set on very low, (7 lumens) it flickers, (to my eye). The faint flickering is like an old 2D cell light that you have to hit on the side to see if the battery will make a better connection. That's annoying, so I just turn it up a little brighter, and the flickering goes away. EDIT... according to the review I linked to, it has a high and mixed frequency that the PWM not noticeable by eye. Perhaps I have a dirty connection in mine.

None of mine, but some lights have been reported to have visible PWM on low, and some even on medium output modes. Visible PWM on medium would put a light in the junk drawer for me.

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened

From my understanding, super basic explanation is the light turns on and off at a certain speed to make the light look like its dimmer (so you get the lower lumen levels). If the on and off speed (frequency) is fast, it just seems like the light is always on at a dimmer level (lower levels). But if the on and off speed is too slow, some people can see the "flickering". My understanding is these are for voltage controlled lights? But I'm guess there's different ways to do PWM and not just on and off at a fixed speed.

For lights thats current controlled, my understanding is they don't use PWM (on and off) to give you the lower levels. There's should be no flickering at lower levels.

I hope I'm not wrong..but someone correct me if I'm wrong! =)

It just happened all my lights I got were current controlled so I never noticed or cared about PWM before. Then last month I tried one light (that happened to have PWM) and I always got a headache when using it. I still am not sure if its really the specific PWM in that specific light, but its my only PWM light... So now I'm hesitant to get PWM controlled lights..

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regards to an AAA lamp:

3) Format:

I am guessing handheld since a headlight won't light what's immediately ahead of me unless I walk with my chin on my chest?

I am not sure that I would rule out a headlamp as an option. With a handheld unless you are pointing it down, the lit area before you starts at a good 2-3 feet and that is with a floody beam equipped lamp. There also will be constant hand/lamp scanning ahead and to the sides to get the coverage. Granted some small lights like the ThruNite Ti3 can be attached to your hat if you were wearing one but still.

I just recently acquired Petzl Tikkina $20 and it has the most floody beam of any of my light producing devices. You can tilt the lamp down a couple clicks to light the area directly before you as well as the surrounding, and it is effortless as it follows where ever you look to turn your head. It also allows you to function hands free if you were to go on a hike or as simple as carrying a bag of groceries or an unexpected task to
perform in the dark. The Tikkina would be great for battery usage as well as it uses a conservative 20Lum/80 Lum to light 25m/35m lasting well over 100hrs. It fits with ease in your pocket.

Just keeping options open.

chx1975

Newly Enlightened
I just recently acquired Petzl Tikkina $20 and it has the most floody beam of any of my light producing devices. You can tilt the lamp down a couple clicks to light the area directly before you

Tilting headlamps? What they will come up next :D ? That makes a lot of sense of course but I didn't know they invented that...

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Nite core SRT 3....

Floody and infinitely adjustable brightness. Pocket sized, but also comes with a belt holster.

Battery flexibility is great for traveling. It works best on 14500 Li Ion but can use AA, CR123, and 16340. Performance is not all that great with an AA, but it will get you by.

To go with it I recommend the Xtar "hummingbird" charger. USB powered, small and easy to pack, and it will charge AA, AAA, NiMh, and 14500, 16340 Li Ion batteries.

Best of luck to you

Poppy

Flashaholic
From my understanding, super basic explanation is the light turns on and off at a certain speed to make the light look like its dimmer (so you get the lower lumen levels). If the on and off speed (frequency) is fast, it just seems like the light is always on at a dimmer level (lower levels). But if the on and off speed is too slow, some people can see the "flickering". My understanding is these are for voltage controlled lights? But I'm guess there's different ways to do PWM and not just on and off at a fixed speed.

For lights thats current controlled, my understanding is they don't use PWM (on and off) to give you the lower levels. There's should be no flickering at lower levels.

I hope I'm not wrong..but someone correct me if I'm wrong! =)

It just happened all my lights I got were current controlled so I never noticed or cared about PWM before. Then last month I tried one light (that happened to have PWM) and I always got a headache when using it. I still am not sure if its really the specific PWM in that specific light, but its my only PWM light... So now I'm hesitant to get PWM controlled lights..
I think that you are correct.
I believe that PWM is more efficient.

I think that current controlled is like having a variable resistor. I believe that it is less efficient and burns off the excess energy as heat.

I just took a picture of the beam of my little DQG IV AAA with a NW emitter. It is a stainless twisty key chain light only 57mm long. Mine is a couple of years old, and they have newer versions that can also accept 10440 LiIon cells. With NiMH about 4 low 60 lumens high, with LiIon 110 lumens high. I don't know if you can run it @ 110 for long, before you have to step it down.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just purchased the Manker T01 and am astounded at it's size and it's power on an Eneloop, on a 14500 it is amazing! Try it out, there may be a great deal on dazed1's thread

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was actually going to be my suggestion. As far as the Tool, you might want to look at the Nichia 219 emitter. It produces somewhat less light than the XP-G2, but produces a MUCH nicer beam.

tex.proud

Enlightened
I have just purchased the Manker T01 and am astounded at it's size and it's power on an Eneloop, on a 14500 it is amazing! Try it out, there may be a great deal on dazed1's thread

I have also recentyly received a Manker T01 through a group buy here. You may want to look that up within this forum. It saved me a great deal. It uses AA alkaline, or what I recommend, Eneloop Pro NiMh batteries that are allowed for travel. It's small, cheap, cheap batteries, long run time for what it is, and bright as you could need it to be. I would carry in on any trip in the future. No doubt.