Laser module with disaligned lense?

godot11

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I am pretty new to lasers (and new on this forum as well...). Anyway, I just received a 50mW laser diode from eBay. (This one; I am aware that eBay is not the best place for buying lasers, but this was relatively cheap (I guess), so I gave it a try...) I planning to build a laser pointer with it, supplied from either batteries or a power supply. Now as a newbie, I am unsure in some details, so I would be grateful if you could review them:

1. The module is rated 3V, but I guess it can tolerate the 3V3 output of a voltage regulator.
  2. As I read on this forum, the module needs around 3-400mA current.
  3. If I wish to use it for more time than a few seconds, I will have to heatsink it.

Okey, and now comes the main reason I am here: I do not really understand what I see here :D:
(sorry for this huge size, I have no idea how to set pic size :p)

SOXhw3J.jpg

The alignment of the lense seems to be a patchwork. It is tilted in like 5 degress, and resting on the glue only. (Or is that the crystal that the diode pumps?...) And what is that white suff that seems to block a third of the hole?

Despite these the diode seems to work pretty well, with really bright output (couldn't compare it to anything jet though), I can only use it with a protective glass. Everything seems to be OK.

Should I, and could I try to re-align the lense and remove that white something? What the heck is this? :laughing:

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Is this a green laser, if so its a dpss, diode pumped solid state. Uses IR laser diode and sends light through 2 crystals to convert to green, any messing around with the white stuff which likely holds the crystals in alignment will probably just render your module useless.