Which of your lights don't get used?

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
I know a lot of you have multiple flashlghts. Which of your lights are collecting dust? Do any of the reasons apply?

I dont use xx light because....

a) bad tint / color
b) too large / heavy / awkward to carry
c) beam isn't useful
d) not bright enough
e) Hard to use / don't like the UI
f) afraid of scratching it (house queen)
g) not sure why I bought it

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use ThruNite Archer 1A (as much) because...

I have a specific purpose for each of my lights, therefore I use them all, but if I had to say there was one I used the least, it would be the ThruNite Archer 1A. I thought I would EDC it more, but its little brother TiS is smaller and easier to carry so it is my bonus torch that I have to swap one of the others out on occasion to make an excuse to use it.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is 'bad tint'? I'm sure that MANY of us have lights kicking around with horrible cool white tints that we got before we knew any better. But now that we DO know better, we don't use them anymore.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is 'bad tint'? I'm sure that MANY of us have lights kicking around with horrible cool white tints that we got before we knew any better. But now that we DO know better, we don't use them anymore.
The blue tint is easy to fix. Either learn how to disassemble your light and purchase a LED of the bin flavoring you want or talk with Vinh and send it his way to do the work.

Lights that I've purchased that I ended not not using often, typically get gifted, so they don't stick around very long after I've given up on them.

My problem is that I usually end up purchasing two of every light that I have. One gets the most use while the second sits.

Recently did the same with the Fire Fly and the C57 lights. My only break in this orthodox is that I got one of each tint. After a while, whatever one I like the most, I'll convert the other to the same tint.

MX421

Enlightened
I have a specific purpose for each of my lights, therefore I use them all

Agree with this. Sometimes the purpose is to sit unused until an emergency comes about where they are needed (they are ready to go of course). I use some of my lights to store batteries :whistle:

tex.proud

Enlightened
My Nitecore MT1A for reason g) not sure why I bought it.

I purchased it as an EDC pocket light. Come to find out, I really don't need Strobe or SOS in an edc (I'm new to lights, forgive me). I don't like having to cycle through them to get to the normal light levels. I use my Fenix E12 much more for the simple 3 level output without having to go through strobe and sos. I do like the memory function though.

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a Manker T01 with the strobe, sos, and beacon modes hidden. I don't have to cycle through them! Yes!

ncgrass

Enlightened
Armytek prime c1 because I'd reason e).

I got it to try for a kinda programmable single cell edc. Cannot stand the side switch though. It's very firm, small and I prefer tail clickies. A shame really as I like the tiny, built and feel. I'm thinking it'll be gifted very soon.

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite tn32 because the beam isn't useful for me. It was all throw with zero spill.

Acebeam K60 mostly sits because its too big to carry anywhere.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Zebralight,not sure the model number it's been around for a few years. I found out I don't like angle lights,and clickys on top.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a lot of you have multiple flashlghts. Which of your lights are collecting dust? Do any of the reasons apply?

I dont use xx light because....

a) bad tint / color
c) beam isn't useful
d) not bright enough
e) Hard to use / don't like the UI
f) afraid of scratching it (house queen)
g) not sure why I bought it
None of those reasons apply. Other reason: because they get supplanted by a newer, more powerful light in same size class.

I have two main groups for my lights: Get Used group, and Collection group.

Foursevens MMU-X3: This is in my Get Used group, but it will be transferred to my Collection group, when I purchase a 26650 x XHP70 light from Acebeam or Olight or? that is in same size class, but more powerful.

Eagletac SX25L3 MT-G2: Exact same as above.

Niwalker MM15: Same as above. This has been added to my Collection group, because the newer MM15MBvn has taken its place in the Get Used group, when the newer light became available, as an upgrade in power, in same size class.

Niwalker: MM15MBvn cw: Get Used group.

Meteor M43vn XP-L pdtc: Get Used group.

Olight S2 Baton: Get Used group. I like more powerful lights, because of their "Wow!" factor, but smaller lights get used more. :)

Thrunite TN36UTvn cw: Get used group.

The three pop-can flooders that I use: I rotate daily, so I use once every three days.

The S2 Baton I use daily.

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
richbuff....great point. I guess "collection group" is same as don't get used? :)

want to sell your SX25L3? Its a warm tint right?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For us, the lights that are in our dedicated truck bags and get-home bags don't see much use.

Other than those lights, the rest get used regularly.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I dont use xx light because....

a) bad tint / color

Most often, I don't use a light because I have a smaller, lighter weight alternative in the collection. The Surefire L1 and Malkoff 1AA MDC are shelf queens, for example.

I dislike the yellow or green tint on a couple of lights, e.g., Fenix LD01 SS, so they serve as only as backups.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got my Nitecore EA41 and TM16GT, I don't use my TM16, EA8, or TM11 at all. If I ever get around to it they will be taking a trip to Ebay so that hopefully they will be used by someone who needs them.

KBobAries

Enlightened
I have 2, one of which is option f and the other uncategorized. The former is a pristine-in-box LF2XT that I never got around to using and is now worth more remaining in that condition. The latter is a Nitecore MT10A whose sole purpose was to have an emergency light that will function on any AA chemistry battery currently produced and fairly usable UI. While it does what I need it to do it has the personality of oatmeal. :meh:

Dan

bodhran

Enlightened
It would have been my Quantum DD, but like NoNotAgain advised, I sent it to Vinh and now I love it. Now it would be my Surefire M2. Too big and heavy.

Puddin57

Newly Enlightened
My powertac e-9. It was a good light at first but has failed me on multiple occasions since then. The threads are starting to strip a bit as well. Its a very bright light, but if its not a gift I wouldnt buy it. Ive been using malkoff products recently and have nothing bad to say about them. They are absolute tanks