Which light on airline?

Okiecat

Newly Enlightened
I havent flow but a few times and I always forget my pocketknife clipped on my jeans. Getting ready to fly and I know to put the knife in suitcase. Do I also put flashlight in there also. How big could I carry on in a carry bag? Can I carry a edc tool also.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, if it has a blade or a point forget about carrying it on. As far as lights go, something like a Microstream or a BLF 348, both of which are low power single AAA lights, shouldn't cause any problems. You can always check online with the TSA website to see what they have listed as go and no go. Also, if you get to the airport soon enough, you could go to the security check point and ask before you check you luggage, so if they say no you have the chance to pack it away and not lose it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 years ago, I have carried onboard the following: only one at a time: SF Backup single cell, E2E Executive two cell, SOG Dark Energy CR123 and a old beat up E2D Defender. I was always paranoid about having a TSA agent "stealing" one. So I always packed a spare light in my bags. I would also carry a Small Priority Mail box with some blank & sometimes prepaid labels.

Now, I would carry a BLF light or two.
Those were mostly USA domestic flights. I carried a Inova led on international.

tops2

Enlightened
It seems like you can carry enough, but it's always at the discretion of the TSA agent. Think the main restrictions are cells need to be carried on in a case/battery holder. People recommended to put the lights in your carry on when passing through the security. I'd also bring lights you won't mind losing just in case...

I went to Hawaii a few weeks ago and brought my Olight S1, Lumintop Tool AAA and Nitecore Tube.

Poppy

Flashaholic
As Timothybill mentioned, you can check with the TSA website for guidelines.

I believe that the issue with flashlights is more due to lithium batteries. But IIRC lithiums are permitted if they are inside whatever tool uses it. I recently brought a Manker U11 on a flight. It is an 18650 light. I put a cheaper battery in there, just in case they changed their guidelines. That way, I could throw/give away the battery, and keep the light.

I had considered just bringing an AA powered light.

I wouldn't bring one with an aggressive looking benzel.

Regarding the multi-tool, I'd pack it in checked baggage.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have flown quite extensively in the US, and a few other countries. I will not fly without at least two flashlights. My most common companions were a Preon 2, and an 18650 light, like a bored 6P with a Malkoff. My Surefire E2e was often my 3rd choice. They were all in my carry-on through security, then transferred to pockets prior to boarding. Spare cells were usually in battery carriers. Very rarely was I asked about anything. My knives and multitools are always packed in checked baggage(I also always carry priority mail labels & boxes-unfolded they take up no room). I established this habit after loosing 4 items I forgot about when trying to catch a last minute flight-I had no time to do anything other than kiss them goodbye in order to catch the flight...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a quick TSA search for the current rules: I am guessing as long as your light is not longer than 7" you are good to go. OF course if you have ever traveled, you know that can be subject to change based on the Agents intelligence or lack there of.

Flashlight is not listed as prohibited, and when you search for the specific term you get this:
https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=flashlight

Checked & Carry On:
Tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked baggage.
Sharp objects placed in checked baggage should be properly sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Transportation Security Officers.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently flew to France to go to Disneyland Paris. I decided I'd better avoid Lithiums and went with AA lights.

Nitecore EA11 - in pocket.
Zebralight H52 Cool - in carry on bag.
Armytek Partner
and I brought a few old school Fenix lights for the family.

Everything was 1AA sized, everything was in our carry on bags.

I took some spare batteries.

No problems in England or France.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lat summer I flew to Florida with
Nitecore TM26
Olight SR Mini
47s Maelstrom S12
Niwalker Nova MM15
Eagletac P20

Between all of the lights and multiple charging cables for my electronics I'm pretty sure the TSA guy did a double take when my backpack went thru the Xray but he never said a word! If I saw that many tubes and wires in an Xray I'd be a little suspicious!!

Okiecat

Newly Enlightened
I want to thank everybody for the detailed info. Im leaving tue for cancun. This has been a great help. I also like seeing what everybody carries. Im pretty new to the high end flashlight.

MX421

Enlightened
I flew to Europe back in January and took a couple 18650 lights, and a AA light and hd no issues. I brought spare batteries as well, but ensured they were in a Storacell type battery case. Further, i only brought batteries that were reclaimed from laptop batteries (ie little cost to me) in case i was questioned. No problem on the outgoing flight, but on the flight coming back, they went for my bag. Turns out they were wanting to look at the kindle i had left in the bag, but when i mentioned the flashlight, they wanted me to turn it on. If i hadn't said anything, they wouldn't have bothered with the light.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm planning on taking to Greece this summer..

- Oveready V5 E-series head
- Malkoff 16650 body
- Malkoff 16340 body
- Malkoff MDC AA (Nichia 219b v2)
- 4 AW 16340 in carrier
- 4 L91 lithium AA in carrier

I love the idea of bringing priority postage in case the TSA has any issues. But I think it's all pretty "non threatening".

3112794826bf7b26972b53eeef5ae6b0.jpg

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm planning on taking to Greece this summer..

- Oveready V5 E-series head
- Malkoff 16650 body
- Malkoff 16340 body
- Malkoff MDC AA (Nichia 219b v2)
- 4 AW 16340 in carrier
- 4 L91 lithium AA in carrier

I love the idea of bringing priority postage in case the TSA has any issues. But I think it's all pretty "non threatening".

3112794826bf7b26972b53eeef5ae6b0.jpg

I'm very impressed by the numbered stickers on the cells.

I have an MDC (of the 3.4-5v variety) as well, even though I like it - I really do not want to EDC it as I want it to remain pristine. Silly or what?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I want to thank everybody for the detailed info. Im leaving tue for cancun. This has been a great help. I also like seeing what everybody carries. Im pretty new to the high end flashlight.
Please be sure to let your flashlights take some selfies, and post them HERE :)

Up Up and Away!

Looking out the window of a 747 on the way to Florida :)

L93jFOdhkad2YQlGIoZCRMsqv9DM5Udy1KY5ygeEZ2DPFvqacUaPWfzGBzNo4ICE4E-ZctMWnNv-zAPius-NxgaUiELfI5POvrBezDij-QPEwRVEvNqVZM6u7uX7YrsGN3BORAg0SqCn8F278BMul7YK0nfXx4MV_jGuFGqmp--2pZ1C0gKL8xwM7egAsA2FZlevzZvaibr_mMlmwSO9H6kj2XT3zVBAPMOkeBTXrWe8vli7qQUM689VTRnIzQF2toOj3pkF0gVg7x2JA--3U094e-_a98rQwJy1kwQOD19UfYISEzn0EsapyspdQ8zYJmpctGZmflp4u-rQGYMjb8wXYUkGfRSMg7BQzYeo95RLtB7Umkq2AoraKJ9nBHCN8DDyFIvEaeDLpmxXFUQUJakUOIRgzLCmCGU6j77EQ4snw29O0v_KzL8i0SkdFZWnY7S164jvrfMVP0sbBeCse-FpqWawCfTJSixwVz0nQtr4KiPT02Oy96aMw0RE_0v7G3RIi_VFV3GtlshuTjCAF4U-ggzzFlQeWLeKWqL69WtxDJB_AGY4oTuCBHFfCaUSA6lI9MI0i0RJPTOrOFudPp6U0c6RJGg=w534-h579-no

radiopej

Enlightened
I think I read somewhere that Li-ion cells have to have a protection circuit. So I'd be fine taking light powered by a single 18650 with PCB protection, but I wouldn't really take anything much bigger than a 6P style light (no giant reflectors) and nothing that has crenellations. Just in case they see it as a weapon.

Easiest would probably be to take a single AA light. That way you can also get new batteries if needed. You could also take a rechargeable, protected light like the UC35 and it shouldn't be a problem.

All this being said, that's for carry - on luggage. Pretty sure for checked luggage you can take your big crenellated lights as long as they're using a protection circuit on the battery.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never had a problem with lights or spares- I keep the lights and spares in my carry on.

I went to Israel for a week and brought: ZL H51fw, sunwayman V11r with AA extender, Lumintop tool and Fenix E01. I had the V11r in my pocket with a cr123, and two spare cr123 with two AAA eneloops in a 5.11 battery case and four AA in a power pax battery case.

Eventually, when I upgrade my headlamp to an 18650, (and a charger capable of charging both li ion and eneloops) on trips I will bring that and a li ion handheld, and prob the Tool and E01.

Lightups

Newly Enlightened
2015 and 2016 flew to Japan out of SFO no problems at all. 2016 I had the Fenix TK16, UC35, HL55(all with 18650s) and a glow stick, along with 8 cr123s in clear plastic holders in carry on, with a Surefire G2X Pro in jacket pocket. All went through x-ray no problem. However my Sharpie marker did set off something in the body scanner, and they swabbed my hands, and confiscated my Sharpie. I always carry one for work, and it was brand new too. In Japan, Haneda and Kansai International Airport no problems there either.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been edc'ing single cells without issues so far. My fav lights are my McGizmos and usually I bring along all three i.e. Haiku, PD-S and PD-Mule. Of course at the security areas, I do declare its illumination tools and I do perform a test to show the officers. I have been to the US, UK, all over Asia without issues. IMO those heavily crenelated ones may pose an issue.