Surefire M3 / M3T

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi All, I have been lurking for a little while on the outside looking in, and I've just joined the crew! From reading your posts and opinions, I have already invested in a surefire 8nx, g2z and e1e, as well as an Inova 24/7. All excellent flashlights, with the g2z w/ p61 being my current favourite - Thanks Al for your review! When I had both my CK35 B90 batteries replaced by surefire (for CM20's) I felt a lot better (or worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) after hearing that some of you gals/guys here were in the same boat.

Anyway, down to the question(s). I've read as many previous posts on the m3 / m3t as I can, but I haven't yet found answers to these questions. I am happy with my g2z w/ p61 lamp, but I would like to know:

1. Does the m3 / m3t give off significantly more brightness and throw than my g2z (p60/p61 lamp)? Any photos / links would be appreciated as well.

2. Will the millennium be 'dunk-proof' i.e. if I fall in the river or the ocean with it (or i need it for an emergency underwater) can i guarantee it will be watertight? I daren't try it with my g2z because it isn't rated and surefires aren't cheap over here!

3. What commonality in parts does the m3 / m3t have with the new L6 that's coming out?

4. And if anyone knows, does the new model m3 (as I saw in surefire presents combat tactics 2004) have any different features/ upgrades on the old m3?

5. Is Nick from County Comm going to appear with free disruptive pattern m3's next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif ? If only I could take advantage of the dealer's specials or even their normal prices! I'll have to try a texan accent and move my letterbox to the US /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thankyou for your thoughts...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi lightmeup, and welcome to the forums!

A good place to start would be here , a beamshot comparison of many, many surefires by CPF member AluminiumOvercast.

None of the surefires are listed as waterproof, except for the N certified lights, which are basically the same as regular models, but cherry picked off the line for closer tolerances. I would not worry too much though, as i have dunk tested all my Surefires in the bath, and none have leaked yet. They will definately survive being dropped in a puddle and such like. Just dont go deep sea diving with them, and you'll be fine.

The L6 is basically the M3/T with a 5 watt LED bezel and a new clicky tailcap. Most parts are interchangable. So for added flexibility, you could buy the L6 and later on, order the KT4 turbohead (bezel used on the M3T) with the appropriate lamps if you need more light and reach.

Im not sure what differences the new M3 will have, but from what i can make out, its just a new style bezel. Im sure there are members on here better informed than me who can answer this.

Cant answer this last one, as Countycomm no longer ship to europe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Last time i looked at their site, they dont list any Surefires, but i may be wrong.

Again, welcome to CPF, and lock away your credit cards!

GeoffChan

Enlightened
G'day there!

1. The M3(T) will blow away and out throw a G2.

2. Millienium's are water resistant down to about 10meters. N certification is about $100 extra from SF, and to my knowledge there aren't any in .Au

3. The L6 is based on the M3 body, so you'll be able to interchange between the Z46, KT4 and KL6 for the head and Z58, SW02, Z48 for the tail.

4. I know that the 2004 M3 will have a modified bezel for getting "up close and personal" with someone in a fight.

5. I've only seen Shelby (aka FineFive) managed to get his hands on a cammed up M3. Pacific Rim in Qld and Vast Special Products in NSW are the offical SF distributors for Oz, so you would have to speak to them for one.

Its cheaper to get one from someone selling theirs in B/S/T.

Geoff

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
I know that the new M3 will have a serrated like bezel end on it. Not really serrated but it will be like the ones on the L4/L5 etc. It has relief cuts in it. It looks real cool too!!!!

ajnova

Newly Enlightened
New M3 eh? Neat! I'm considering getting an M3.

Any info on other new or updated SureFire's? Thank you!

BTW What is "N certification" from SureFire?

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Surefires constantly update their lights.

N certification is testing done to a light to test if it can be submerged to about 100feet.

Geoff

Size15's

Flashaholic
Constantly updating? - here's a few of the visible changes:
al-m3bezels.jpg

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Thanks everyone for all your input so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and
Thanks for the welcome Kakster and Geoff!

I noticed from the beamshots that Kakster gave that the MN10 and MN11 are more oval looking than my p60 and p61, is this actually the case - it looks like it might distract in some cases? And does the M3 have as good a light coverage (as in peripheral light in the ring around the blinding spot) as the g2 at close range?

And Geoff is that a 'guaranteed' 10 metres by surefire or is that your experience btw I see a 10x in your stash - that one must be a spicy da meataball especially in Aust!

By the way, this week we have had four blackouts, one going from 16:00 wednesday arvo until 0900 Thursday morning! And I think I am on the way to flashaholic status when I had all my toys out to play with! On a serious note I used the 8nx that night to help my neighbour saw up a tree that had fallen on his house during the storm - his M__lite 3* just couldn' cut the mustard when mine arrived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is good having a dependable and quality flashlight on hand. I also lit the way for my neighbour across the road to check debris in their yard - from my side patio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And in a Restaurant on Saturday night I helped the wait staff find candles with the light of my E1E. The assistant chef with his dolphin torch looked at my 'tiny' torch until I shone it into the middle of his dolphin's beam to which his eyes bugged out of his head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif I didn't have the heart to tell him his batteries were nearly flat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now if i'd had the m3 / m3t Now, going off what I know about the M3 / M3T - I could have sawed through the tree with the light, I could have blinded my neighbour and made them trip over all the debris, I could have seared my own steak at the restaurant - which was a touch underdone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M3's beam is not round (the MN10 beam is perhaps the most "squashed" of all SureFire beams). The MN11 is better though. The "surround" beam is superb. The M3 is designed for CQB it's light output is distributed for use in those sort of situations and typical ranges.

Yes, the MN10's squashed beam can be annoying - especially to those who don't use it for the purpose it was intended I guess. Certainly I use the MN11 in my M3's.

Most SureFires are designed to be waterproof. The "N" versions are tested individually but unless you need to carry or use a SureFire underwater, I don't think you'll need an "N" version. I don't have any problem taking most SureFires underwater if the situation requires it. They are not divelights although people do use them as such I've been told.

Al

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Thanks Al,

Can you please elaborate regarding the MN10's being annoying especially to those who don't use it for its intended purpose? What advantages does it give in close quarters?

Going off your previous posts you also have a M3t, what is the approximate effective range for the m3 and m3t in terms of maybe blinding power and for the purposes of identification.

Cam

Size15's

Flashaholic
Some people like round beams.
Some people don't use their M3 for "operations".
If you buy an M3 because it is a cool flashlight, the squashed beam could disappoint you.

The M3 was developed to put as much light into the beam as possible whilst providing a flawless surround beam. The MN10 and MN11 and the M3 reflector were designed from scratch to produce a beam that Operators demanded. The filaments and reflector differ from the P90/P91 - increased light output was achieved by changing the shape of the filaments and the reflector focuses more light into the beam. It's this "extra" light that is added onto the beam that gives it the squashed shape compared to the P90.

The larger diameter M3 reflector gives the beam more impact and allows the operator to see more, more quickly compared with the standard bezel Z3 (etc).

This thread on AR15.com may also be of interest.

Al