WF 501 D - battery spring

Dave Dunn

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I received a WF 501 D and there is a loose spring in the battery compartment,smaller than the spring on the end cap,is that supposed to be attached somewhere?

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I don't have a WF 501 D, but many lights have springs at both ends of the battery compartment, in order to reduce the effect of shock and vibration.

Try looking at the contact point on the head end - is there a solder remnant there? If so, that's where the spring came from.

Dave Dunn

Newly Enlightened
Yep,that's it,lack of solder on the spring made me wonder though. I suspected as much but wasn't confident enough to try to dismantle the head end on this this torch,it didn't seem like it wanted to unscrew. I already broke one torch thinking the head end was meant to unscrew, it came off but wasn't meant to,no thread to put it back on! lol! If I had a couple of 18650s to test this torch with I would have known because the batteries would have been loose and not connected, I wish I'd known about them being in laptop batteries earlier, I thought I'd be waiting a month for some to arrive from ebay. Thanks for your help and sorry for the "duh" type question,but if you don't ask you don't learn. :)