Wuben        
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: Lemax LX70 Superpower HID Light

Enlightened

Default Re: Lemax LX70 Superpower HID Light

So was I, I'm not into the moon or planets . I'm a deep space kind of guy, I love big and fast scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by djjoonie View Post
    Wow that's awesome lineup! cha-ching indeed on all of them. did you also have the Canon 1200mm 5.6L too? insane! bh used to sell one for $180,000 used!
    Sorry no 1200mm f/5.6 here however from time to time B&H Photo has one forsale in NYC. My new Nikon 800MM F/5.6 FLED VR was as much as I had ever spent on one single lens costing just about USD$18,000.00 My 2nd most expensive lens would be the Nikon 600MM F/4 FLED VR2 then my Nikon 400MM F/2.8 FLED VR2.They are all big bucks for sure..
    Surefire Hellfighter-5 Surefire Arc2-8C, LeMax LX70 Superpower,Lupine Betty TL2, Lupine Piko TL, Lupine Betty R14, Lupine Betty6, Lupine Piko2

Kodak Instamatic. Get them at yard sales. I understand there may be a few left!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Kodak Instamatic. Get them at yard sales. I understand there may be a few left!

Yes this type of camera is the type that is used by the budget friendly like wise same in HID Lighting...

Karl
    Surefire Hellfighter-5 Surefire Arc2-8C, LeMax LX70 Superpower,Lupine Betty TL2, Lupine Piko TL, Lupine Betty R14, Lupine Betty6, Lupine Piko2

BM!!! Welcome back!! You were soooo missed by all of us!!

Yup Instamatic!! One of the classics! I just know you won't have (many) problems operating it!!

Karl

BM!!! Welcome back!! You were soooo missed by all of us!!

Yup Instamatic!! One of the classics! I just know you won't have (many) problems operating it!!

Karl

Nikon D5, Leica SL Type (601), Leica M10 Rangefinder and Hasselblad X1D ..

Nice, VERY nice!! Have you tried any of them yet?

Karl

Off topic post...
    :

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 05-31-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Rant Re: Lemax LX70 Superpower HID Light

Now, is it the Hasselblad X1D-50c 4116 Edition..or the X1D-50c Silver or X1D-50c Black or the Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless Digital Camera and Lenses Field Kit or.....? Karl
    Hey, I am pissed this is way off topic.

Deservedly so...I edited...

Karl

Ah yes, "Flashlights" is the topic I believe, specifically the LEMAX LE70 Superpower HID light as I recall...

I have been dying to "do" a side by side comparison of the SP and the LE70 but, thus far, no dice. Sledhead has a SP upgraded by Dan and I've a 70 and....and, should we get together we could throw in a few more "toys' to compare but, either I've been mowing or digging in the dirt and, when I get home, feel as I look---not good! Anyway, either sledhead, scout24 or I will have to bring some suitable camera lest you fine folks think all we own for lighting is a box of matches and a mirror! Hmmmm...not a bad idea at that!? Anyway, all of our light artillery has been sitting and, rarin' ta' go! It'll happen....

Karl

Deservedly so...I edited...

Karl
    Surely you had no idea about a X1D until you looked them up and noticed that there was 3 ways of purchasing it and yes i went with the limited edition black X1D kit..Just like owning a Superpower Lemax LX70..Top shelf equipment..

"Surely you had no idea about a X1D until you looked them up"....??? Would you like to attempt the King's English with this comment BM?? I'm really not quite sure I catch your "drift"....

Karl

BM, let it go. The post was deleted and does not deserve, demand, nor support any further discussion. Trust me on this, I would know much better than yourself.
    Let's stay on the topic you initiated....the Lemax LX70 Superpower HID Light....remember, or have you forgotten....?

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 06-02-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Sadly, I have no decent camera equipment. I do, however, have a half mile to-the-woodline field about 75 yards away from where I'm sitting right now out my back door. Not even close to being able to let the big guns strut their stuff, but I'm looking for more open spots.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

scout24, I'm telling you, we'll have that "shootout" before this Fall, unfortunately without the 80-85 watt model the way it seems....We'll have that shootout as well, when the new big boy arrives!

Karl

Sounds good, Karl. I've got my LX50 and two of them there new-fangled LED lights that reach my target treeline. One's a laser-like beam, the other gets there with authority.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

"He is 100% correct on all points 100 watt is not really possible. the limiting factor is, THERE ARE NO QUALITY BULBS for THIS PARTICULAR HID TECHNOLOGY beyond the "FATBOY" DL50, the max it can or should be considered to be run at is somewhere between 80 and 85 bulb watts, TBD by Xevision which it could or would be (80 or 85) if we were to proceed with the below project.

The only thing left to push this technology to its final edge, and only we (XeVision) can and could do to create the LX70 Superpower "Ultra" ( with a custom new ballast, different bulb and our igniters ) , is push a DL50 "fatboy" bulb to 80 or 85 watts (a 10 bulb watt increase adding maybe 1200 (80w) - 1900 (85w) additional Lumens), we don't see a "real" market for it though. "

Any reason why xeray doesn't make a new design with UHP or xenon/mercury short arc systems?
    Should be able to get tens of millions of candela, a significant upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman View Post
    Any reason why xeray doesn't make a new design with UHP or xenon/mercury short arc systems?
    Unfortunately it's very, very unrealistic to use UHP bulbs in a production light. Removing the bulbs from their glass reflectors is dangerous and not suitable for a production environment. There are also no DC ballasts for these bulbs (except for the Philips Ujoy 50W bulb which is not very bright). You would either need to develop your own ballast for them (no projector company does this, they all use standard Philips/Osram ballasts) or put large inverters into the lights. This reduces efficiency and increases size dramatically.

In the end you would get an extreme thrower with a slow warm-up time and a much lower total system efficiency and thus lower runtime. Switching out the bulb wouldn't be realistic anymore for the customer because these bulbs require protective clothing and proper training whereas the Lemax uses relatively cheap, standard automotive HID bulbs. As far as I know these bulbs are also not meant for hot-restiking.

In addition to this you would probably also need active cooling for safe, continuous operation.

Great info...thanks!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman View Post
    .............................Any reason why xeray doesn't make a new design with UHP or xenon/mercury short arc systems?
    Now THAT's the ticket!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    Unfortunately it's very, very unrealistic to use UHP bulbs in a production light. Removing the bulbs from their glass reflectors is dangerous and not suitable for a production environment. There are also no DC ballasts for these bulbs (except for the Philips Ujoy 50W bulb which is not very bright). You would either need to develop your own ballast for them (no projector company does this, they all use standard Philips/Osram ballasts) or put large inverters into the lights. This reduces efficiency and increases size dramatically.

In the end you would get an extreme thrower with a slow warm-up time and a much lower total system efficiency and thus lower runtime. Switching out the bulb wouldn't be realistic anymore for the customer because these bulbs require protective clothing and proper training whereas the Lemax uses relatively cheap, standard automotive HID bulbs. As far as I know these bulbs are also not meant for hot-restiking.

in addition to this you would probably also need active cooling for safe, continuous operation.
    I mean, xevision did mention in that post that they would make their own ballast...
    It may be hard to do with a UHP bulb since those require 300vdc, but maybe xenon (like the maxabeam) or mercury is possible.
    They do sell some UHP bulbs without the glass reflectors though.

There would be no need to switch out the bulb if it comes preinstalled in the light, maybe send it in for replacement if it burns out, or sell a replacement kit like maxabeam does.

Xenon short-arc does seem nice at short glance, but there are some signifigant drawbacks:
    1. Xenon short-arc systems are super inefficient
    2. Xenon short-arc bulbs run with low voltage and high current => large component sizes lead to large, heavy power supplies

I guess you could try maybe a 150W bulb with ~4500 lumens (if possible with just passive cooling). You would need a specially designed ballast though to make it useable in a flashlight tube.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    Xenon short-arc does seem nice at short glance, but there are some signifigant drawbacks:
    1. Xenon short-arc systems are super inefficient
    2. Xenon short-arc bulbs run with low voltage and high current => large component sizes lead to large, heavy power supplies

I guess you could try maybe a 150W bulb with ~4500 lumens (if possible with just passive cooling). You would need a specially designed ballast though to make it useable in a flashlight tube.
    Make use of the Excelitas (old Cermax) type lamp and power supplies systems like the Megaray does. Use the 300 Watt lamp and the PC board would not have to be much bigger than the small board in the Megaray 175 watt light.

Hopefully, Getlit will bring out his monster in the future. Now THAT's Really the ticket!
    Last edited by BVH; 06-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Yeah, looking forward to that light

Stuff like the megaray and maxablaster aren't much bigger than the lemax lights but I see what The Driver means about efficiency.
    These phillips HIDs are like 100-150 lm/W efficient, hard to beat even with LED.

Are there really no HIDs better than those old fatboy bulbs?

Yes, you need to use the Mercury or Metal Halide Short Arc lamps to get 100 LPW and higher.

AC type HID's are never going to throw like a DC Short Arc in an apples to apples comparison. Because there's a small point of light at the end of each electrode alternately, the effective size of the point of light produced is the size of the entire arc gap, not the true "single point of light" 10%-15% of the arc gap in a DC lamp.

I don't know of any AC HID lamps able to handle power better than the Fat Boy.

There is one HID lamp technology that is interesting, Ushio Emarc. You can get a 160-200W single ended Mercury lamp, producing 10000 lumens with a 1.2mm arc gap. Only 50 LPW, but still better than Xenon, especially low wattage Xenon. And it's a low current DC lamp The downside? Still long warm up times.
    For the 100W reflectorversion of the Emarc lamps, you can even get a 11-17VDC ballast. Usually, you can cascade two DC ballast together to double the wattage, however, this particular ballast is not built for this because it run a built in igniter. But with a small modification, it may work.

Lamp: http://www.elightbulbs.com/pdfs/ushi...mArc-Specs.pdf
    Ballast: https://www.rotec-gmbh.com/produkt/l...mps/bcs-75-dc/ or the AC/high voltage DC ballast: https://www.rotec-gmbh.com/produkt/l...ps/ecs-200-dc/
    I've got lux in different area codes.

IMG_9400.JPG
    IMG_9401.JPG

Thought I'd pass this on if anyone else is worried about scratching the lense on the behemoth. Found these on Instagram and thought it might work. Search for "inspireuplift.com" and look at favorites. Fits like a glove. One also fits the LX50..............and it also looks like the next size would fit the LX70.
    Last edited by sledhead; 07-09-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Great ino Sandy! I guess those who may have the "Triple Crown"---or on the way there--would have great use for all three of these!

Karl

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011