Bigger capacity cell, more light?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
My Nitecore MH20 came supplied with a 2300 mAh cell. I knew this wasn't ideal but I figured with the USB charger I can just keep it topped up.

Anyway, I got another cell on a good deal and bought it. I cannot verify this, but the turbo mode seems brighter to me with the new, bigger capacity cell.

Is this possible? Or is it just my wishful thinking?

Original cell was a Nitecore 2300 mAh (I don't know the serial codes or where to look for them), and the second one is an Olight 3400 mAh cell.

Your input here would be appreciated, it's above my level of comprehension to figure it out by myself :)

ETA: Neither of the cells have been recharged from 3.6V more than 3 times.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I think another important point is that both batteries were charged with a Nitecore i2 charger until full, so no variables there.

ven

Flashaholic
Tough one, is the turbo a direct drive(not regulated ) on this light, if so maybe the pany B(3400 cell) could give a little more over the 2300mah cell if its not as rated as high(A wise). Both are 4.2v cells, so really they should provide similar other than the 3400mah will provide juice for longer! Could simply be the eyes playing tricks too, at first it will seem bright inside for example as the eyes adjust to shut out the light. Then switching cell, the eyes already adjusted, it will seem not as bright 1st time round(just a thought). Usually if anything, lower mah cells suffer less voltage sag over higher mah cells.............

A light meter may be your best friend to prove either way:)

I can swap cells knowing a set provide more A to the leds, yet to my eyes i can not tell.........

Yep above my comprehension too:p

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Thanks Ven.

I see this thread was a bit of a non-starter.

I saw a technical discussion in a Zebralight thread of batteries not being able to supply sufficient amounts of juice to let a Zebralight do its thing, but I didn't quite get my answer out of that.

ven

Flashaholic
Basically , if the light is a high ask, so it needs for example 6a to get turbo, then standard 18650 cells will not be able to power it. They might go into turbo mode, but fall out(drop out) of it to high mode. With higher drain cells, INR or IMR chemistry, these are rated higher. Some 10a, others 20a as just examples, these can supply the "juice" in higher demand lights.

So you may have a 10a 3500mah cell, which is rated at 10a continuous and 3500mah=great for most lights. Another cell maybe 20a and 2500mah, this would perform better in really high output lights, maybe direct drive which will take as much as it can from the cell............

The zebralight iirc is around 1300lm from a single cell, this is quite an ask ,so the requirement is for higher drain cells which can provide the juice to get it there. Also due to the design, it also prevents protected cells from being fitted ,so only the INR or IMR can fit as examples(these cells done have PCB's-protection circuit boards).

Just some basic rough n ready info:)

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
As ven suggested, you could get a cheap lux meter on eBay for about $15. It may or may not be accurate ( I have 2 and 1 is, I estimate, within 5%). It's not calibrated but it is good for comparing output between lights or between cells. :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a even cheaper (free) app for my android to messure lux. I dont trust my app 100% but it will confirm is one setup is brighter than the other :)