'Saving' lights from eBay

Minimoog

Enlightened
Anyone else do this? Sometimes I see a listing coming to a close and no bids, so I take responsibility and place that (single) winning bid! I have won quite a few for the start price - two last week! One, a solid copper 1950's Concordia mining torch (made in Cardiff, Wales) and another Ever Ready. The Ever ready was far to nice to leave unsold so I won it for the starting bid of £7.50. It arrived and I was very pleased with it - solid mahogany, brass fittings, hand made. Here it is:-

Overall view: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sqkwzww1g1acvw/DSC_0029.jpg?dl=0
Hand stippled reflector - gives a soft 'dandelion puff' beam: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qal9m12vnfqfj6/DSC_0031.jpg?dl=0
The rotary switch on top - nice and positive: https://www.dropbox.com/s/78irvebuvn9c4ux/DSC_0032.jpg?dl=0
And the British Ever Ready Specialities badge on the rear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vyvbj5w44o61d7w/DSC_0033.jpg?dl=0

It was from about 1906, so 110 years old. It works perfectly, just needed an AA battery pack which I fitted myself.

So, what have you saved - or is it only me that wants to help these wayward old lights that need a good home?

kj2

Flashaholic
Old lights are cool, and lets us see how far the flashlight business has evolved. But personally, I've no 'room' for such vintage lights.

sgt253

Enlightened
Love to see the treasures that you find. I'm constantly keeping an eye out here on this side of the pond for some like yours. I have had a little luck. Nothing like yours. Best.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH No, a whole new type of flashlight to collect( more accurately a new "old" type of light to collect. I am doing a two stage move, so everything is going into storage except the bare necessities(some might question my sanity at saying over 100 lights and 300 batteries are a necessity-but hey, I am letting over half the collection go to storage). If I start buying these beautiful classics the Mrs might have me committed....
Beautiful light...now I have to start looking....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Another great score there Mr. Moog. Your selection of collection is inspiring.

OH No, a whole new type of flashlight to collect( more accurately a new "old" type of light to collect. I am doing a two stage move, so everything is going into storage except the bare necessities(some might question my sanity at saying over 100 lights and 300 batteries are a necessity-but hey, I am letting over half the collection go to storage). If I start buying these beautiful classics the Mrs might have me committed....
Beautiful light...now I have to start looking....

You definitely don't want this then eddie...

As a rule I click on buy it now stuff. Today I managed to scoop up Burgess Range Finder in a re-post where there were zero bids so the seller reposted with a buy it option.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
The Ever Ready is hand made, solid mahogany, 110 years old and works perfectly? Oh, and it's also absolutely beautiful?

Wow! What great find!

I'll bet that item has found a very special display area in your home. I'd love to find something like that. I have a couple of very old oil lamps and it would look so nice beside them. Hmmm, any chance it might be posted in the "WTS" area some day? haha ;)

Congratulations, it's beautiful!

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hey, thanks - I am pretty chuffed with what I find in the depths of eBay! Yes, its on the bookcase now - and I don't need any excuse to use it.

If you do regular checks or saved searches of 'vintage flashlight' or 'old torch' then the jems come right along - at a low price.

Its a great time to be into this hobby - I'm really enjoying it here too!

The Ever Ready is hand made, solid mahogany, 110 years old and works perfectly? Oh, and it's also absolutely beautiful?

Wow! What great find!

I'll bet that item has found a very special display area in your home. I'd love to find something like that. I have a couple of very old oil lamps and it would look so nice beside them. Hmmm, any chance it might be posted in the "WTS" area some day? haha ;)

Congratulations, it's beautiful!

Wendee

Enlightened
Hey, thanks - I am pretty chuffed with what I find in the depths of eBay! Yes, its on the bookcase now - and I don't need any excuse to use it.

If you do regular checks or saved searches of 'vintage flashlight' or 'old torch' then the jems come right along - at a low price.

Its a great time to be into this hobby - I'm really enjoying it here too!

I haven't had an eBay account for years (maybe 10 years?) but of course, NOW I have one again, thanks to you! lol :rolleyes:
I've found some neat stuff (not nearly as nice as your Ever Ready) but the shipping costs are more than the flashlights! Wow. I guess I've been spoiled by "free shipping" lately. I bet I'll end up buying something, regardless :D
First I was just looking for something pretty to put on my mantle (after seeing yours), and somehow I'm now looking at flashlights/lanterns and wondering if I could restore them, which is funny because I have NO idea how to do that, but they're so pretty (I like antique/vintage stuff).
There are some nice vintage lights on there! Thanks for the tip about eBay. Fun stuff! :thumbsup:

Minimoog

Enlightened
I haven't had an eBay account for years (maybe 10 years?) but of course, NOW I have one again, thanks to you! lol :rolleyes:
I've found some neat stuff (not nearly as nice as your Ever Ready) but the shipping costs are more than the flashlights! Wow. I guess I've been spoiled by "free shipping" lately. I bet I'll end up buying something, regardless :D
First I was just looking for something pretty to put on my mantle (after seeing yours), and somehow I'm now looking at flashlights/lanterns and wondering if I could restore them, which is funny because I have NO idea how to do that, but they're so pretty (I like antique/vintage stuff).
There are some nice vintage lights on there! Thanks for the tip about eBay. Fun stuff! :thumbsup:

Oh, once you get going on eBay it can lead to all sorts of fun! Just don't overspend.

As to old lights, once you know what sort you like the look of you can get to know when a good one arrives in the listings and make a bid. Don't just buy any old light - many are pretty rubbish - or have old melted battery damage inside which spoils everything. If you are in the US I am not really sure what is available to you - but I know there are some lovely old and nicely made ones out there. If they take D size batteries then you can just pop some new ones in, but if they take a box battery, then you need to rig something up - and also at this point you can put an LED in instead of a bulb. You can get those quite easily.

I love cleaning and restoring - its magic what some wax polish and Brasso wadding can do. If you do see an old light you like - just ask here if you are not sure. Making something work that has not worked in 70+ years is good fun and interesting.

Hi Minimoog,

Do you have any before pictures, or is this how the light L@@Ked when you purchased it?

Jbafgui.jpg

~ Chance

Minimoog

Enlightened
Hi Minimoog,

Do you have any before pictures, or is this how the light L@@Ked when you purchased it?

Jbafgui.jpg

~ Chance

When it arrived the wood was a bit dusty and the metalwork had an atmospheric film, but apart from spending about 40 minutes with cleaning and getting the contacts 100% it was as you see it. I should have taken some photos but enthusiasm got the better of me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Snatched up some junk at the last minute.

For this Rayovac in the center.
I was browsing for light bulbs and this one popped up with like 30 minutes left and only 1 bid. I bid, 10 seconds later a counter bid. So I up'd it. Other bidder never placed another. $11.02

Also scored this baby

6 cell Dog Supply House with extension

wow, Wow WOW

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Probably 1950's or 60's.

Also scored another jewel thief light.
Another HIPCO 1aa.

Puts out about 1/2 a lumen.

It's about that big.

And about that bright.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My first save.

A 2C Vulcanite Franco with miner head.
I'm looking on the bay for the heck of it and had typed in 'franco', started looking (before selecting buy it now) and 3rd one down was this one's timer is flashing red with like 1 munute, 3 seconds and no bids....
I hit bid and waited for the last milisecond snatcher to take it.
For once it didn't happen.
Nice.

After paying for it I went to the flashlight museum and saw some similar, but none with the pat. date(s) and a flasher switch and miner head.

It wasn't some $4 takes it deal, but less than $25 shipped is alright by me.

Speaking of $4 deals an Eveready Lil Jim I bid on a week ago was running out. Somebody up'd my $4.99 bid.
Thinking "eh, I'll do $10, but no more so the seller doesn't end up getting $20 for a $5 light and buyer has to pay 2x $5 if they want it"... 10 seconds later I was out bid... by a 3rd bidder. "Take it"...

Last edited: