‪‎Bert Ogden‬ ‎Hyundia‬ of ‎Harlingen‬, TX is installing LED PNP, how can I stop it?

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
‪‎Bert Ogden‬ ‎Hyundia‬ of ‎Harlingen‬, TX is installing LED PNP, how can I stop it?

Hi all,

As this title states a salesman from this dealership has been sharing posts promoting their dealers instillation of led pnp bulbs for exterior lighting.

QD8bGA4.png

I could not find a contact for whoever Bert Ogden is so I left a response in their form.

TlB80pg.jpg

If I do not get a satisfactory response from them what regulatory agency can I contact to, pardon the saying, "make hell" for this offending business?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: ‪‎Bert Ogden‬ ‎Hyundia‬ of ‎Harlingen‬, TX is installing LED PNP, how can I stop

You can contact NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance at 202-366-2832, though you can expect to have an up-hill climb getting anywhere productive. Stick with it and use their language: a car dealer, that is a regulated party under the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, is rendering inoperative vehicle safety equipment in violation of Section 108(a)(2) of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, 15 U.S.C. 1397(a)(2), which holds that no manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may render inoperative, in whole or in part, any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with the applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Even if the Feds take their usual "Ummmm...yeah, thanks for the report, we'll get right on that...h'mmm...looks like rain" type of non-approach to dealing with the problem, it's worth making the report.

You will likely have a better chance of obtaining results by reporting it to the Texas Department of Public Safety. Chapter 547 of the Texas Transportation Code, Subchapter D (§ 547.3215 - Use of Federal Standard) requires that lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on all motor vehicles must comply with either the current version of 49 C.F.R. Section 571.108 (that is Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108) or the version that was in effect when the vehicle was built. You will probably have to set aside some time to call around until you get someone who won't just go "Huh?".

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
Re: ‪‎Bert Ogden‬ ‎Hyundia‬ of ‎Harlingen‬, TX is installing LED PNP, how can I stop

Spit-ballin' here, but try the State Attorney General, the Hyundai area rep (that person rides herd on the regional dealers), the Better Business Bureau, even the local State Police/Highway Patrol Commander. And I don't mean using a "pick-one-of-the-above" approach. Make real sure you have your ducks in a row (positive proof that it is or has happened). And mention in passing that if it isn't addressed sooner than later, the local TV channel is your next phone call.

I realize each state is different, but I would imagine somewhere in that gaggle of people is at least one person with nothing better to do with their time but to make things happen.

Edit for content.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened

Wow...

It's like they used the excessive light spray caused by installing improper bulbs in an OEM housing to entice customers, which sadly probably works quite well.

Looking to forward to hear what the dealership has to say in response to your concerns!